[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:36 PM.
Maryland
390 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
A day at Pigeon Island National Park? Any thoughts? https://www.slunatrust.org/

In port 8am-6pm. I don't see much information on cruise critic. What I've learned is it's about 23 minutes away, maybe $70 round trip taxi? Or we could book a private driver to tour all day and make a few other stops along the way. Historical site with buildings, scenic views, (Signal Hill, Fort Rodney), two sandy beaches, a restaurant in the park (Jambe de Bois) and a cellar bar in an old fort (Barnacles).

Other options are to go to Reduit Beach or Vigie Beach but looking for something different to do. Originally wanted to do a boat ride to Sugar Beach between the pitons but concerned after some not so good reviews about transportation.

Thanks for any review, opinions, thoughts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next Cruise: Celebrity Reflection Ships Sailed: NCL Escape, NCL Getaway x2, Celebrity Constellation Ports visited: St. Thomas, St. John, Tortola-Virgin Gorda, St. Maarten, Nassau, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan Honduras, Harvest Caye Belize, Key West, Miami, Fort Lauderdale
St. Lucia, West Indies
4,189 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Pigeon Island is more like 30-45 minutes away, depending in traffic. Yes, $35 each way. Leave plenty of time for return. Beautiful national park, great hikes, ruins, restaurants inside, lovely small beach. $8 entrance fee per person.
Serenity offers a beach break including chairs, drinks cooler, entrance and transport.
Plenty of taxis available to take you and return, do leave plenty of time for return..
Finger Lakes & Mexico
10,750 Posts
Joined May 2008
One of our favorite excursions, although we just took the pirate ship (rum) excursion through the cruise line and spent about an hour there.
Also the girls’ favorite drink at the bar there, the “White Sand”.

Reedprincess, I thought the bar had a French name when we were there several years ago when we had that drink, do you remember? Is that Serenity now?
And thank you again for all of your info and insight about St Lucia over the years - very helpful to so many of us travelers!

[EDIT] The bar/restaurant was by itself I believe and close to the trail going up the hill. Stony water entry there and no sand. But again, this was probably 10 or so years ago...I can’t remember if the Landings was just being built or that was right after because we looked at that after our cruise there...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Blue, Blue Water!
St. Lucia, West Indies
4,189 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
There's two restaurants/bars at Pigeon Island - Jambe des Boise, named after a. Infamous pirate aka Peg Leg. On the waterfront, past the main beach area, near to the trails going up to Signal Hill, etc. And Captain's Cellar, in the restored headwaters type building on the righthand side of the park when you enter, in the downstairs cellar area.
Maryland
390 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Thanks Reedprincess and blue_water! I remember blue water from planning past cruises. Thanks again.

I know Serenity is a tour company recommended by a few people. For a private driver/tour, a friend used Frank of St. Lucia and highly recommended him. More than double the price of a round trip taxi but then we can do things on our own time, make a few extra stops if time. Maybe a stop at a beach shack like Maries Fish Shack or something like that. Was thinking about going to Howelton Estate too to get some Batik but it's out of the way. I also found Sea Island Cotton Shop that sells batik and is close to Pigeon Island. Some pretty batik clothing would make wifey happy and maybe some thank you gifts for people taking care of things at home while we cruise.

Taxis are always cheaper but we liked having private tours - learn a little bit from a local, someone to watch our stuff, do things on our time. I'm sure the driver would know of any interesting stops along the way.

Originally posted by blue_water
One of our favorite excursions, although we just took the pirate ship (rum) excursion through the cruise line and spent about an hour there.
Also the girls’ favorite drink at the bar there, the “White Sand”.

Reedprincess, I thought the bar had a French name when we were there several years ago when we had that drink, do you remember? Is that Serenity now?
And thank you again for all of your info and insight about St Lucia over the years - very helpful to so many of us travelers!

[EDIT] The bar/restaurant was by itself I believe and close to the trail going up the hill. Stony water entry there and no sand. But again, this was probably 10 or so years ago...I can’t remember if the Landings was just being built or that was right after because we looked at that after our cruise there...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next Cruise: Celebrity Reflection Ships Sailed: NCL Escape, NCL Getaway x2, Celebrity Constellation Ports visited: St. Thomas, St. John, Tortola-Virgin Gorda, St. Maarten, Nassau, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan Honduras, Harvest Caye Belize, Key West, Miami, Fort Lauderdale