Decorating your door

BeverlyS

I don't mind seasonal decorations; it's the door fully decorated and a foot on either side used to put giant homage to Travolta, the Smurfs, the family in matching clothing... But, to each his/her own.

I agree. When I add decorations to my cabin door, it is only two or three small ones. Nothing that covers the entire door by any means. However, if someone wants to go to all the trouble of completely covering their door and the area around the door, I will walk by, observe it, and then be on my way, not losing any sleep over it!

Edited by Kmangel

It would be/would've been interesting to know which cruise line(s) the pro and con door-decorating folks prefer. I'm guessing it very much depends on the predominant passenger base characteristics per each line.

I am guessing the pro decorating cruisers prefer comedy and family movies and the con cruisers are more into drama.... Lifes too short to worry about the small stuff.. Yes we decorate our door. Have grandkids and with magnets and paper can be really creative...

People decorate for the holidays. People put wreaths on front doors. Stores decorate windows and doors. Now that it is nearly Christmas, decorations abound. Childish? Juvenile?

Perhaps some people who oppose door decorating on cruise ships would prefer there be no decorating on the ships. That is one thing I am looking forward to seeing during my holiday cruise--all the decorations. I wouldn't want to see decorations all the time, but during the holidays I really enjoy them.

Your examples are VERY diffderent. Stores arretrying to get you inside t spend your money. holiday seasonal dec orations in commerce have a specific purpose. Greeeting Cards, restqqurqntw,, all courting business. Valentine's Day, Fourth of July in U.S., July 14, in France, July 1 in C anada. etc

Edited by sail7seas

Your examples are VERY diffderent. Stores arretrying to get you inside t spend your money. holiday seasonal dec orations in commerce have a specific purpose. Greeeting Cards, restqqurqntw,, all courting business. Valentine's Day, Fourth of July in U.S., July 14, in France, July 1 in C anada. etc

My point was that there is a lot of decorating going around during the holidays. To extend it to a cruise ship is not that crazy an idea.

The decorations people put out at Christmas time is as much for others to see as for the people who put them up.

LOl,:D

That is a very odd, does the family's clothing match Travolta or the Smurfs, if it is Travolta, which character, Grease, Saturday night fever or Pulp fiction?

Boy, I wasn't thinking clearly on this one. ;)

I just remember some past threads on door decoration. There were some sisters or something who really loved Travolta. They did their doors top to bottom in everything Travolta. A family had kids who liked Smurfs, so wall-to wall Smurfs. Another family liked to do their door in photos of themselves from previous cruises, all decked out in the "necessary" matching outfits they did for every port, formal night... There was also talk that some people didn't stay within the parameters of the door, but also decked out the walls around the door. I remember one where they actually decorated the handrail in the hallway by their door.

I think this is some cruise-centric behavior; in all my years of working in hotels, I have yet to see someone decorate their room doors, regardless of the reason or season. Apparently, children and drunk adults can find their way to the correct hotel room, but have issues on ships ;) And, I've worked in some hotels where the length of the hallway will rival some on a ship, and you've got to take a specific elevator to get to certain floors...

Boy, I wasn't thinking clearly on this one. ;)

I just remember some past threads on door decoration. There were some sisters or something who really loved Travolta. They did their doors top to bottom in everything Travolta. A family had kids who liked Smurfs, so wall-to wall Smurfs. Another family liked to do their door in photos of themselves from previous cruises, all decked out in the "necessary" matching outfits they did for every port, formal night... There was also talk that some people didn't stay within the parameters of the door, but also decked out the walls around the door. I remember one where they actually decorated the handrail in the hallway by their door.

I think this is some cruise-centric behavior; in all my years of working in hotels, I have yet to see someone decorate their room doors, regardless of the reason or season. Apparently, children and drunk adults can find their way to the correct hotel room, but have issues on ships ;) And, I've worked in some hotels where the length of the hallway will rival some on a ship, and you've got to take a specific elevator to get to certain floors...

I agree, although I think it would look awesome if the whole family was dressed as the one character for a photo. Can you imagine a family of Michael's for instance. Sort of a Christmas theme as well.

mic.jpg.8b74eb1f4e573bf0f57e7703d66e189a.jpg

Edited by MicCanberra

Yes, and loving the debate.:D

Does anyone else have a list of people from this forum that they hope to never meet on a cruise?

First cruise coming up but we will take a pass on the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. There appear to be some very strong opinions about some seemingly innocent practises.

As I read this thread I keep singing, "You're as cuddly as a cactus, You're as charming as an eel, You're a bad banana with a greasy black peel."

:eek:

I agree, although I think it would look awesome if the whole family was dressed as the one character for a photo. Can you imagine a family of Michael's for instance. Sort of a Christmas theme as well.

Love it!!!

We had a team meeting last week to gear up for the upcoming Winter Season. One of the managers who gave a speech reminded us that, when people go on vacation, they tend to leave their common sense at home. Door decorating at it's extreme may be proof of that ;-)

Edited by slidergirl

Does anyone else have a list of people from this forum that they hope to never meet on a cruise?

First cruise coming up but we will take a pass on the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. There appear to be some very strong opinions about some seemingly innocent practises.

As I read this thread I keep singing, "You're as cuddly as a cactus, You're as charming as an eel, You're a bad banana with a greasy black peel."

Please, don't take a pass on the CC meet and greet. That's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, as the saying goes.

Did you read your roll calls? There are many wonderful, fun and tolerant people from the roll calls. I've met many people that I have become friends with and still keep in touch with.

The prickly few are really the minority but unfortunately we tend to remember those prickly ones on these boards when perusing these posts because they get a stronger response from others. .

No list, life is too short. I am sure you will met people at the M&G that will share you view on things.:D

I don't drink, don't have "kids" and don't need decorations to get to my door. I love Christmas and what it means. Never needed to "Work" the hotels either. Why are people so worried about my door?:eek:

I can smell cookies halfway across the Globe and I'm goin to get mine. With MILK!

A promise made is a debt unpaid! (Robert Service)

Edited by WupperAV

It would be/would've been interesting to know which cruise line(s) the pro and con door-decorating folks prefer. I'm guessing it very much depends on the predominant passenger base characteristics per each line.

Based on pictures I've seen, if you Google decorated cabin doors, I'd say one particular line is VERY pro.;)

Does anyone else have a list of people from this forum that they hope to never meet on a cruise? First cruise coming up but we will take a pass on the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. There appear to be some very strong opinions about some seemingly innocent practises.

I had three and I managed to hit the trifecta on ONE cruise, couldn't believe I was so "lucky".:eek::D