Led lights on balcony

robthens

One of the beauties of cruising on open waters is that I can see the stars and night sky without all the light pollution I have in the city. Add to that the ability to see the earth's curvature makes being on the open water a fantastic opportunity. Why pollute it with led lights.

Considering LED lights for balcony railing on upcoming Panama Canal cruise.

What are the thoughts regarding this?

On my trip to Mexico on the Ruby, I strung a 6' string of battery powered multi-colored led lights just under the the hand rail on the cabin side. Very festive! I attached them to the plexiglass with "Command" adhesive hooks. At the end of the cruise, it took 5 mins to take down and there was no adhesive residue remaining. There are a lot of different styles and colors available these days that are battery powered. I showed them to Stewart and he approved as the hooks remove cleanly. At no time did they detract from the evening star show.

Good luck and have fun with your lighting project!

I would think this is a navigational hazzard. (depending on the direction of the ship- is where the lights can be turned on)

With a light on in the cabin it takes away the night sky. If a person next door leaves their light on it takes away from the night sky.

Batteries maybe. 110 NO.

I know I hate it when the next door neighbor leaves their outside balcony light on 24/7. :mad:

Many times they don't even realize it's on as the switch is behind the balcony door curtains.

I thought I was the only one who hated the light left on all night. One cruise that happened, I like leaving my sheers closed while the drapes are partly open to see the daylight as it get light, the light reflected off the opposite side of our partition and into our cabin. The next day, I asked our steward to please turn off the light, he didn't, so I put a :halo: in the box, asking them to please turn off the light when they retire for the night, and added, that the switch was on the wall, under the drape, wishing them a pleasant cruise....it worked.

I think it would work, if they were battery powered.

Just hang them on the IN-side your railing, without them hanging over.

Back when they had an actual table on the larger Caribe balconies on most ships, we set our table up beautifully with a vinyl tablecloth (so it would be heavy and not blow), battery flameless candles, etc. It was wonderful.

And, like the other lights, please turn them off later... saves battery too!

Any extra plug in electronics and burning candles would probably be strictly prohibited.

Batteries maybe. 110 NO.

I know I hate it when the next door neighbor leaves their outside balcony light on 24/7. :mad:

Many times they don't even realize it's on as the switch is behind the balcony door curtains.

I've had that happen. I spoke with the Steward and it was fixed. Had it not been fixed I would have spoken with Passenger Services. If not fixed then I would have kept on escalating. I agree that sometimes folks don't even realize they have left the balcony light on all the time. Others just don't care.

In my opinion and only my opinion, I would surmise that the bridge and security know the wherabouts of every lit light bulb on the ship. Any unknown light spotted by the bridge or security would be cause for investigation. Especially those "flickering" battery candles. I am sure from a distance those could be mistaken for flames. I would not want a visit by security to investigate any decorations that I have to have on my balcony

Who the heck is looking into/onto somebody else's balcony?

Are you guys for real?

One might get an eye-ful that does not happen to be lights!!!! ; )

Seriously folks... live and let live. I can not imagine that being such a huge issue.

And, I am quite sure that the room stewards are looking out for any truly banned items/electronics/candles.

This was not an issue for us, at all.

Our steward left it all set up for us, and we were never questioned.

We were not thrown in the brig, or made to walk the plank.

Apparently, it turns out, having a decent table on a balcony, even a larger Caribe balcony, is an issue.

Found out that after our cruise that Princess started the changeover, and actually REMOVED those tables from people's balconies, MID-cruise. Now, the status of MY balcony would have been something that would I would have had an issue with.

For the life of me, I can not imagine stressing myself out because of something like this on somebody else's balcony, or what somebody else chooses to wear, etc... I don't like to manufacture stress for myself.

Seriously folks... live and let live. I can not imagine that being such a huge issue.

For the life of me, I can not imagine stressing myself out because of something like this on somebody else's balcony, or what somebody else chooses to wear, etc... I don't like to manufacture stress for myself.

So are you OK if people bring a portable speaker out on their balcony and play music so everyone else around them can hear it. The reality is that people sometimes on Princess cruises do things on their balcony that can impact others not in a positive way.

Have taken two December cruises and decorated our cabin with strings of lights, window clings on the inside of the balcony door and a small lighted Christmas tree both times. On the last one, we strung the lights across the balcony door but on the inside. Our cabin looked very festive and Stewart loved it. When we disembarked, we told him that he could have the lights if he wanted them; he was so excited and said that they could use them at the crew Christmas party.

I wouldn't put lights outside on the balcony, but have no problem with inside the cabin.

Does Princess allow things (lights, towels, hammocks) to be hung on the balconies?

Princess prohibits towels, clothes, swim suits being hung on the balcony. Hammocks are likewise prohibited. The problem is that they fly off in the wind (remember the ship is moving forward at 18 - 22 knots or 21 to 26 MPH). So do pax do this anyway - well yes.

Why people are attracted to light like moths is a good question. Try going somewhere in total darkness and see the stars, milky way etc.