Salty Dog on the Crown

serene56

Dinner

I'm surprised. We haven't experienced Salty Dog yet but will soon on our October 8 sailing on Emerald Princess. I hadn't really thought about it but had "assumed" it might be for both lunch and dinner.

BTW: Glad to see Jupiter came through the storm with relatively little impact. We have family there. My wife just read me a FB post from her niece saying they feel like they just won the lottery - they now have power in their home! :D

Edited by Thrak

I'm surprised. We haven't experienced Salty Dog yet but will soon on our October 8 sailing on Emerald Princess. I hadn't really thought about it but had "assumed" it might be for both lunch and dinner.

BTW: Glad to see Jupiter came through the storm with relatively little impact. We have family there. My wife just read me a FB post from her niece saying they feel like they just won the lottery - they now have power in their home! :D

The Wheelhouse Bar where the Salty Dog is located is used on some sea days for the free pub lunch. We saw the Salty Dog fairly empty during dinner hours on both the Emerald and the Crown.

The Wheelhouse Bar where the Salty Dog is located is used on some sea days for the free pub lunch. We saw the Salty Dog fairly empty during dinner hours on both the Emerald and the Crown.

i checked out the above link and do not see a mention that this is for dinner only.

so we do not have to make reservations for the Salty Dog-- first come first serve?

We made reservations for dinner at the Salty Dog for two nights on our cruise on the Ruby Princess. The first night we were disappointed that the 4 of us were seated at a small tall table with tall stools. We were not impressed with the food either. We cancelled our reservation for the second night.

We made reservations for dinner at the Salty Dog for two nights on our cruise on the Ruby Princess. The first night we were disappointed that the 4 of us were seated at a small tall table with tall stools. We were not impressed with the food either. We cancelled our reservation for the second night.

If anyone in your party has mobility issues forget about the Salty Dog on the Crown Princess. We were on it for 31 days last winter when I was using a cane. Even though we were promised a regular height table and chairs when we made our reservations when we arrived they didn't exist. Our choices were a bar height table and chairs or a sofa and low coffee table arrangements. I am mystified why Princess - which always has a number of mobility challenged passengers on every cruise - totally missed the boat (so to speak) on meeting the needs of folks like me (and those in wheelchairs, scooters, etc.).

So...is the Whiskey Bar Menu only available in the Salty Dog on the Crown? Or is it available in all the bars?

I am sure DH will want to know for our upcoming Crown cruise with Sip & Sail..... :confused:

I don't know if whiskey bar selections are exclusive to the Wheelhouse. But, if you look at the menu, below, you will find many of the selections priced above US$10. Thus they are excluded from the Sip&Sail. You pay full price for any beverage priced over $10, not the difference.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/Whiskey-Menu.pdf

i checked out the above link and do not see a mention that this is for dinner only.

so we do not have to make reservations for the Salty Dog-- first come first serve?

We were on the Crown this year and the Emerald last year. I did not see any need to make a reservation. The tables were mostly empty anytime we passed by.

I don't remember seeing the Gastropub open for lunch. On some sea days the free pub lunch was held there. There was also the BOGO in the late afternoon.

I don't know if whiskey bar selections are exclusive to the Wheelhouse. But, if you look at the menu, below, you will find many of the selections priced above US$10. Thus they are excluded from the Sip&Sail. You pay full price for any beverage priced over $10, not the difference.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/Whiskey-Menu.pdf

About 48% of the listed selections:eek:. That's a lot.....

Bob

Thanks...we feel very fortunate to have dodged the proverbial bullet on Irma. We still had wind gusts over 90 mph, but our damage was minimal as compared to the folks in the Keys, and the Naples/Ft. Myers area.

So...is the Whiskey Bar Menu only available in the Salty Dog on the Crown? Or is it available in all the bars?

I am sure DH will want to know for our upcoming Crown cruise with Sip & Sail..... :confused:

On the Emerald they offered a special Johnnie Walker flight. Gold, Platinum, and Blue fro $21.00

It was only available at the Wheelhouse Bar. You did not have to eat in order to get the flight.

On a separate note, we loved the concept and the food. We ate there twice, then once at Share and once at the Crown Grill.

On the Emerald they offered a special Johnnie Walker flight. Gold, Platinum, and Blue fro $21.00

It was only available at the Wheelhouse Bar. You did not have to eat in order to get the flight.

On a separate note, we loved the concept and the food. We ate there twice, then once at Share and once at the Crown Grill.

Seems like a decent price for some good stuff.....:):):)

Bob

The Whiskey Bar is only available in the Wheelhouse but it is available on multiple ships.

The page I linked earlier with info on the Salty Dog and the Whiskey Bar has this note at the bottom of the Whiskey Bar info:

*The Whiskey Bar Menu is now available on Crown Princess, Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess, Golden Princess, Ruby Princess, and Sea Princess. Coming soon to Caribbean Princess, Coral Princess, Grand Princess, Island Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess, Star Princess and Sun Princess.

I'm usually much more of a Single Malt drinker when it comes to Scotch but I do have to admit that, even though it is a blend, the Johnny Walker Blue is some very nice stuff indeed.

I have to wonder how big the pours are in the flight if it's only $21 for the three samples and the menu shows single shots of the Gold, Platinum, and Blue at $16, $18, and $25 respectively.