Trip Insurance Store (travel insurance)

beshears

HELP!!!

I'm hoping someone will see my question and be able to advise me one way or another.

Up to this point, I have always used my TA that I book our cruises through, to get coverage for our cruise and flight. If you have heard, or used Trip Insurance Store to get your insurance coverage, would you tell me your opinion of the company, one way or another. I believe they are cheaper than what my TA quotes, so as you can guess, I'm trying to save money! :)

I also choose the insurance company and its plan through the tripinsurancestore. The premium I get is the same as what I will have If I buy direct. Being my broker, there is that comfort that I will have someone to assist me should i need to file a claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Thank you "everyone" for your replies to my question. Hopefully, we won't have any problems, while flying/cruising, and if we do, I'll do find out, if Trip Insurance Store is good insurance company to use. I ask them about Travel Guard, which I have always used with myTA, and I ask TIS about Travel Guard as well.

I just started using Trip Insurance Store and had some excellent chats with them. I have NO idea what I’m doing and they’ve helped me get good, reasonably priced insurance for my cruises. While trip delay is ok, I want trip evac and medical. Friend of mine was traveling to the Caribbean and her husband was in a serious accident. Getting him evac’d to a US trauma center cost her $26,000. I always get insurance (and gave HER the Trip Insurance site address too)!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I hope we don't have to use this, but I will say the "ladies" (I never know who is going to answer the phone) have always been very nice/friendly in their answers to me.

Like others have said, I hope we don't have to use it, but I'm glad I got it. I did let my TA know that I was going with another company, as the price was cheaper than what she offered. She said she was glad to got insurance coverage anyway.

Trip insurance store is fine as are some other web sties such as insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com. I particular person at the trip insurance store, Steve, has gotten rave reviews here on CC for many years. None of these places are insurance companies, but simply function as insurance sales agencies or brokers. The advantage is they sell many different products (from multiple companies) so you can usually find a policy to fit your personal goals/wants/needs.

Hank

HELP!!!

I'm hoping someone will see my question and be able to advise me one way or another.

Up to this point, I have always used my TA that I book our cruises through, to get coverage for our cruise and flight. If you have heard, or used Trip Insurance Store to get your insurance coverage, would you tell me your opinion of the company, one way or another. I believe they are cheaper than what my TA quotes, so as you can guess, I'm trying to save money! :)

We have used them three times and been very impressed by their service.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, customer service is always (or most of the time) good when they try to sell you a policy. The true mark of good customer service reveals itself when something happens and a claim needs to be filed and paid!

Would anyone who had to file a claim like to share his/her/their experience?

Yes, customer service is always (or most of the time) good when they try to sell you a policy. The true mark of good customer service reveals itself when something happens and a claim needs to be filed and paid!

Would anyone who had to file a claim like to share his/her/their experience?

Yup...

Unfortunately, we've had two large claims, with policies we purchased through www.TripInsuranceStore.com

Both were from the insurer Travel Insured (that's who has to pay, after all).

Both claims were paid without any nonsense or unusual delay. They did need to receive all required documentation verifying the validity of our claim and also the total costs, but none of that seemed unnecessary.

For the second claim, we weren't sure it would be covered, so while still overseas, I emailed Steve to ask. He contacted Travel Insured, and then got back to us about which clause in our policy would in fact cover it. And the claim was paid.

They've been an enormous help to us, especially in deciding what policies/coverages we needed, early on when we really had no clue about how travel insurance worked.

GC

• Thanks 1

As was said earlier, I don't hope we have a claim, etc., while flying/cruising to use TripInsuranceStore, but I did take it out for my friend and I for our trip at the end of March next year. I have always taken out trip insurance when flying/cruising through my TA, but decided to take a chance with TIS, and found it was cheaper, so hopefully, if necessary, it will cover what is needed.

I used TripInsurance Store 3 cruises ago, and have used them since, because of the "personal" service I received. After purchasing, we received a follow up e-mail from them, and also a reminder of what coverage we had prior to leaving for our trip. We have not had a claim, and hope we never do. We have also started to use our credit card to buy the cruise (it includes insurance) and buy a policy to cover only the air portion, but that also has medical evacuation.

I guess the point is to have travel insurance, you never know,

I usually purchase it right after booking but have come to realize today I did not a + 55 thing!

So I guess my wife's pre-existing condition will not be covered but other aspects will.

Off to shop!

I guess the point is to have travel insurance, you never know,

I usually purchase it right after booking but have come to realize today I did not a + 55 thing!

So I guess my wife's pre-existing condition will not be covered but other aspects will.

Off to shop!

You didn't give any details about your travel situation, and don't seem to have posted elsewhere on this thread, but...

Depending upon the specifics of your travel and payments, it might very well be possible to get coverage for pre-existing conditions.

GC

There are many websites catering to trip insurance but I recently used tripinsurancestore.com as a resource. I provided Steve with some details pertinent to my trip (I was only looking to cover airfare) and he made a recommendation, but also provided plan details on 2 plans so that I could make an informed decision. There is no additional cost for the insurance if you buy it through tripinsurancestore.com. Recommend checking out the website the next time you need trip insurance. I will use them the next time I need trip insurance.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/11/2017 at 6:09 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Both claims were paid without any nonsense or unusual delay. They did need to receive all required documentation verifying the validity of our claim and also the total costs, but none of that seemed unnecessary.

GC you are such an awesome resource!  Thank you so much for contributing your insights and experience.

Question about above - What did the required documentation include? 

I'd guess

- Detailed invoice with the medical codes on it

- Proof of payment showing a $0 balance

Anything else? 

GeezerCouple, thanks for your response.  I believe my friend sent off everything that was needed  (she is in AZ., and I am in MO.), and is still trying to re cooperate from her surgery, doing a lot of therapy, before she has the last surgery to take care of her shoulder.

10 hours ago, SempreMare said:

GC you are such an awesome resource!  Thank you so much for contributing your insights and experience.

Question about above - What did the required documentation include? 

I'd guess

- Detailed invoice with the medical codes on it

- Proof of payment showing a $0 balance

Anything else? 

The claim form that Travel Insured sent us either had a place for us to enter the information, or requested specific information/documents.  They had a form for the physician to fill out.

It will depend upon the nature of the claim, and the costs involved.  The costs do not need to be only medical.

For example our very first claim was the first time we took out travel insurance and again - THANK YOU to those here at CC whose posts encouraged us to get it!v It was for DH's first cruise (long overdue!), and we had to cancel at the last minute for medical emergency.  So the medical costs were "on us" (well, our regular health insurance).  It was the total cost of the trip that we needed.

So in that case, the physician/surgeon needed to state the date the emergency occurred, the diagnosis, and the fact that we could not travel at the time planned.  (We couldn't travel for quite some time, except to/from medical appointments, alas.)

As an aside, this was also by far our most expensive trip other than our honeymoon.  And it was the first time that *everything* had been pre-paid/non-refundable.  I am absolutely certain that IF we did not have that insurance, DH would have been so upset, that he wouldn't have agreed again to give it a try (after MANY years of coaxing on my part, and he was hooked instantly on the next actual cruise!).

Sure, we "could have afforded it"; we had already paid for the entire trip, of course.

However, it was a very, very stressful time, and we both took some degree of comfort from the occasional mumbling about "Well, at least we got insurance, and we won't have to pay a *second* time to take this trip!"

And I also admit to some uncertainty about whether the claim would "really be paid", etc.  But the claim went just fine, as I've stated before.  NO nonsense involved, on that claim or any other.  TripInsuranceStore and Travel Insured get our top recommendations!

In one case, I had a medium thick stack of papers from a foreign hospital, in a language we do not speak.

So I scanned the entire thing, and sent it to them, and they apparently found it sufficient.  However, note that there was no hospital BILL to pay, so that may have mattered.  We needed to document why our trip went sideways and we had to spend almost a week in the "wrong town".  Nice as it was, it wasn't where we had planned to be!

There was one small "glitch" in that a physician who saw me at the hotel a few times didn't write in English very well, so his bill/statement/description of my medical situation wasn't satisfactory (and we understood why).  We finally sent him a draft with the exact language that we thought was needed, and he sent us yet another letter.  We submitted it, and that was the final thing prior to getting the claim approved.

Most of that claim was for several days of hotel bills and meals, mostly for DH, until I could join him again, and unused train tickets, and some alternate transportation, etc.

I should probably mention here that we came VERY close to calling MedJetAssist to get me home.

However, just as we were about to do that, I turned a corner.  We were able to recover the final week of our trip, and that was very special.  I just sat around at a luxury hotel in Bellagio, looking out at Lake Como.  We had to cancel some excursions, but it was definitely a NICE place to recuperate! :classic_smile:

We remain quite sure that the speed of payments (we each had a medical reason for a claim) was because we had coverage for pre-existing conditions.  We'll never know, but we suspect that if we had those excluded, Travel Insured may have needed to sort through some amount of previous medical records, to make sure that the episode wasn't due to any pre-existing condition.  And of course, we didn't need to worry about having the claim rejected for that reason.

We did find it helpful to get the name of a particular claims person, and to double check with that person each time we sent something, to make sure it was properly routed and logged, etc.

We tried to scan everything, and send as email attachments.

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1