Almost live from Arcadia en route to Caribbean

capnpugwash

We were due to sail at 5pm on December 18 from Southampton but our holiday really started the day before when the UK was told that snow was coming that night and we could expect between six and nine inches overnight. In global terms that is nothing, but in the UK it is what dominates the news. We live at the top of a steep hill in a small saddle shaped valley so we have to drive 50 yards uphill, negotiate a sharp corner and then drive down a 30 degree hill to a T junction at the bottom. In snow it is treacherous. The result was a sleepless night for me and a very slight dusting of snow which of course posed no problem whatsoever. I think that we were lucky as other parts got the promised downfall plus our share.

So on Friday morning we set out for the drive tp the port and it was beautiful. The sun was out but not dazzling, there was no traffic as I think most people had decided to take the day off in view of the promised weather. Because there are effectively four adults in our party and all their accompanying luggage, we need two cars. Because we had booked early we were given free car parking as a perk. We left in convoy with my wife and daughter following and had lost contact before we had gone 500 yards.

The drive took 80 minutes and we arrived on our own at 11.35 am. We were on board within 15 minutes and managed to bluff our way into the Gold tier lunch. My wife called during lunch to say they had arrived and were queuing to register. At around 12.30 we went to find our cabins and as they were ready. My wife turned up at 2pm and waited until about 5pm for our cases, being told that they were being individually x rayed. I thought they did that anyway. Maybe not.

In spite of booking 18 month ago and having confirmed second sitting on a table for 8, our card told us that we were first sitting on a 4 seater, it got worse, our children who had opted for first sitting were on the same table as us. My worst nightmare has come true. A quick trip to the Maitre D' and it was sorted out for tomorrow.

I have never been a fan of the on board chef's label restaurants and Gary Rhodes has one on the Arcadia which was offering a discounted price of £9.50 for the first three nights rather than the normal £15. Having never tried one of them, although I have eaten in his restaurant in London, so I thought that we should try it out. Well it was wonderful, the service was excellent and the food was certainly a step up from the norm so much so that we have re-booked the restaurant for New Years Eve. If our regular table is good fun we will cancel Rhodes and if not, we have our fall back plan in place. A cunning plan!!

Walking around the ship we have bumped into 20 or 30 people that we have traveled with before and also half a dozen crew members. it is a really nice feeling.

We have a large inside cabin on deck 6 and apart from the absence of a window it is almost perfect. I don't have any recollection of the layout of the ship in spite of having been aboard for a 4 day trip a couple of years ago. There has also been some remodeling on board so that is the reason that I use for my ignorance.

The sea is very calm as we head south west across the Bay of Biscay and in a sheltered position on deck it is almost warm enough to sit out. In a couple more days it will be wonderful.

There is a very full programme of hosted events, from shuffleboard, quizzes, whist, lectures to tennis. I went to the promenade deck and signed up for wifi and only lasted about 10 minutes before retiring for a nice cup of coffee in the warm. I then went to two quizzes; the first was an individual based on movies, the winner scored 20/20, I faired less well. The second was men versus women in teams, I won't gloat but we won the first leg, the next is tomorrow and it is repeated every sea day of the trip. Suddenly it is lunch time, which I avoided after the excesses of last evening, then it is time for the first whist drive. This was attended by 32 people and my wife won a prize as the highest scoring or the leading lady, I was nowhere on the men's game.

Back to the cabin for a nap but I remembered that we had brought 9 bottles of premier cru Champagne with us so I opened one and it is quite charming.

The ship is very smart and has 3 banks of lifts but they are in twos and fours rather than the more usual sixes so there does seem to be more waiting around than I am used to. There are a pair of external glass lifts in the midships area on each side of the ship which serve most decks. One poor area is the launderettes of which there are only three on decks 4,5 and 6. Each has three washing machines and tumble driers but there is only one iron, and that iron works poorly catching whatever one's wife is ironing. :-))

A major criticism is that smoking is allowed in half of the pub, very fair perhaps but the air handling is rubbish and the smell permeates the entire area as in order to try to control it they leave all doors open. P&O are banning it totally in April but I ask why not now? Maybe as we get to the warm areas it will move outside.

As I write this, I am watching Sky news reporting the dreadful weather in the UK and Northern Europe and the problems with driving and the Eurostar train, crikey I am so glad that we are away. We are off to the Spinnaker bar for pre dinner drinks, the kids have already gone to their earlier meal so it is just my wife and I, like normal.

We had a pleasant enough dinner and the conversation was fun and amusing. Immediately after the meal we went to Day 1 of the Syndicate Quiz. This is a nightly event comprising 20 general knowledge questions. Maximum of 6 per team, really good fun and we met up with 4 others who we had partnered on previous cruises, anyway we were 4 off the pace and came a poor second to the winner's 18 correct answers. Still tonight's another night.

We have reached the Atlantic south of the Bay of Biscay and we currently are running parallel with the coast of Portugal, north of Lisbon. The sea are quite flat and we have another sea-day today prior to our scheduled arrival tomorrow afternoon at 1pm.

The sky is clear and blue at the start of day 3 and it looks set fair for a slightly warmer day, for some reason the pool was leaking so they drained it yesterday and repaired it so I hope that they refill it today in time for it to warm by tomorrow.

Have a good time Jim. I am just off my first time on Arcadia. Aside from the "browness" of the ship, I thought her quite like Artemis and enjoyed her a lot. Please say Hi to Dave Barfoot (Entertainment Officer) for me if you see him.

Thanks for the update and enjoy your cruise! Having sailed on both Queen Victoria and Arcadia, how would you compare the two?

I am sure the Cap'n will have his own view, but having sailed on both myself, it is a hard one to answer. I love the interiors, decor and service of QV, but Arcadia leaves her standing for the wrap around teak prom deck and open outdoor deckspace. My obstructed view cabin on Arcadia was also huge with seating area etc, even though it was the cheapest outside grade.

Arcadia leaves her standing for the wrap around teak prom deck and open outdoor deckspace.

Apart from allowing passengers to use the cut-through blocked off on Queen Victoria (I wandered through it on boarding as the gate was open) was anything else different about the prom? Where does the extra deck-space come from - is it that 'ad-on' ARCADIA got at the stern (which Queen Elizabeth will have)?

Apart from allowing passengers to use the cut-through blocked off on Queen Victoria (I wandered through it on boarding as the gate was open) was anything else different about the prom? Where does the extra deck-space come from - is it that 'ad-on' ARCADIA got at the stern (which Queen Elizabeth will have)?

The Aquarius deck rear deck on Arcadia is a very nice space, apart from the Smokers being allocated one side so outside eating is out so to speak, & people do tend to "bag" the comfy chairs on the other side.

Thank you cap'n for such an informative and entertaining read.

I am so glad to hear that the snow didn't cause you any problems and it was very interesting to read all about your concerns regarding the journey to the port.

I love reading your witty observations and admire your attention to detail, keep your reports coming, they are so well written and useful. I, and I'm certain many others, value your humorous & informative postings from any ship. It will be great to read your words, about your voyage, on your thread, as a story, interrupted only by the responses of those of us left behind on dry land, praising, I‘m sure, your every post. I look forward to reading more with every opportunity you get to share your experiences with us.

Once again, a huge “Thank You”, have the most wonderful time. Bon Voyage!

Well it is TEAK, not that horrible plastic surface and it seemed wider, but that may have just been optical illusion. The extra upper deck space comes from the extended stern, and also the fact that everyone has access to what is the Grill's only section on QV. On both ships, I hate the fact though that there is nowhere forward to watch a sail-in to port, without head high smoked glass obscuring it. As a keen photographer I really miss the open forward decks you have on QM2, Artemis etc. There is access to two forward deck areas on Arcadia (B and C decks I think), but only while the ship is in port, not at sea.

Try the Orchid too Captain P if you get the chance...

It sounds like the table mix up was because they were trying to be helpful by putting you with your children on a table for 4 on 1st sitting and linking you up?

I always request a table of 8/ 2nd sitting and book 12-18months in advance and have always got what I requested...with 2nd sitting confirmed...on booking...strange they changed your request.

What temps are you getting now?

When we have been in Orchid there are two basic menus, one we liked, one we didn't. Also they do a Tandoori night which is 'OK' & an "Indian Curry'' night which we didn't try. Without wishing to creat another dispute..the coffee in Orchid is very good!!

Try the Orchid too Captain P if you get the chance...

Cap'n, I heartily concur with LL on this one. The orchid is splendid. As I have said before, we thought that the Meridian food was absolutely appalling, but the standards in the PAYG dining were excellent.

Have a great cruise.

:)

You can watch, albeit indoors, from the Crows Nest.

I know, but for photography I need a clear view unobstructed by glass. All the older ships had this space. QE2 was brilliant, but very few of the newer ships seem to have it.

Cap'n, I heartily concur with LL on this one. The orchid is splendid. As I have said before, we thought that the Meridian food was absolutely appalling, but the standards in the PAYG dining were excellent.

Have a great cruise.

I found it superb a month ago, but I think it is a new Exec. chef.

Sorry there is no possible way anyone can call the food in the Meridian "absolutely appalling'' It ain't 'fine dining' true, but appalling no, not fair.

You were clearly not on that particular cruise. A grade above motorway cafe standard describes it very well. Before I travel on Arcadia again, I would need assurances from P&O.

You were clearly not on that particular cruise. A grade above motorway cafe standard describes it very well. Before I travel on Arcadia again, I would need assurances from P&O.

I have been on Arcadia three times in the last 12 months & Artemis once, the menus were virtually the same so was the food & standard. Most enjoyable without being exceptional in any way, but "Absolutely appalling'' no way..I take it you couldn't eat any of it?

Archived