Mobility Scooter

Maracamama

Can anyone on SS forum give any insights on mobility scooters? Unfortunately I will probably need one for the WC 1015. Storage when not is use will not be a problem, as our suite is large enough that we will not need to park it in the hallway.

But other questions I have:

-Hubby wants to buy one and have it delivered to the ship. All well and good, but I am worried that if it breaks I am on my own in getting it repaired or replaced. I feel renting one through SS would be a better plan, albeit quite a bit more expensive.

-If anyone has used one of these before, what is the approximate battery life?

-Any other issues I need to know about?

-Any companies you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

I do not believe you can rent a scooter through Silversea (or any other luxury cruise line). I would assume that whatever you buy would work fine for your cruise - especially since it would be new. Just make sure that you spend time practicing with the scooter prior to boarding the ship. There are passengers on board that are not steady on their feet but can walk slowly and would be harmed if hit by one of the scooters. Going slow is the best way to go on a ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

Depending on your port of departure they can be rented which is very convenient. Silversea may know about how to do this and whether your port(s) offer them.My sister used one-just plugged it in over night and whenever she was back in the cabin. She used a grocery store version to practice with- not exactly the same but a good substitute to try it out. I would think that shipping it around might be rather difficult to arrange. They can be taken off the ship at ports (not zodiac landings) although sometimes it takes help-always available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not believe you can rent a scooter through Silversea (or any other luxury cruise line). I would assume that whatever you buy would work fine for your cruise - especially since it would be new. Just make sure that you spend time practicing with the scooter prior to boarding the ship. There are passengers on board that are not steady on their feet but can walk slowly and would be harmed if hit by one of the scooters. Going slow is the best way to go on a ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks, TC!

I have already had occasion to practice. An admitted "need for speed" persona (Go, Granny, Go!), as a retired health care professional (and a REALLY REALLY nice person LOL) I am cognizant of the "rules of the road". That being said, I did take first place in the last scooter race I took part in.

All of your comments are much appreciated. I do already have a quote on purchasing or renting a scooter through SS, but taking into account a 4 month rental, DH seems to think a purchase is the better way to go. Since disembarkation is so close to our home in Miami, it should not be a problem to transport it on arrival, to join to growing medical equipment collection in our garage. :) Ain't aging grand? (Short answer: YES, if it can be done on SS!)

One of the most pressing questions I have is whether the battery life is sufficient for say, 3-4 hours of continuous use off the ship?

Most museums have scooters these days. Go view some art and ask the desk people about the battery life. I use one at the mall and after a good few hours, the battery is still charged. Specialservicesatsea do not appear to rent internationally but if you are on and off in Fl. It should not be an issue. Good luck. Let us know how it works out! More than a few of us will need to deal with the same issues in the future.