Rise in Tips ?

Josy1953

I have just noticed this statement in my cruise personaliser:

At P&O Cruises our crew pride themselves on the service we offer to our customers and we know you will see this every day while you are on board with us. As such we do add a discretionary service charge of £5.00* per passenger per day to your shipboard account.

further down it says :

* A service charge of £3.95 per passenger per day will be chargeable for all Cruises departing before May 2015.

A 25% increase is taking the proverbial.

It will lead to more people removing them altogether.

I hope not, they are still less than most lines and the waiters, cabin stewards etc work hard.

Yes still less than most cruise lines but a BIG increase. US lines are higher but IMO their service levels are way higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

Fred's service is excellent - I agree. Why would you tip £10 for a meal for two unless the bill was £100? I tip 10% or just over if it isn't a round number.

I think this increase is rather a lot. I may well remove and tip personally as we did about a year ago.

Typical - my cruise is 1st June!:o I won't remove the tips tho (unless I'm very displeased ) as they still work hard for their money! Just checked my Personaliser and it's on there too - had to hunt to find it tho!

Typical - my cruise is 1st June!:o I won't remove the tips tho (unless I'm very displeased ) as they still work hard for their money! Just checked my Personaliser and it's on there too - had to hunt to find it tho!

Mine is 8 May! I got stitched up by Cunard a few years ago too when my cruise was the first at the new rate. I personally don't think they should do this ( although I have no doubt it is buried very deep in the small print :rolleyes:) as when I booked the rate was £3.95 and that is what I expect to pay.

I won't remove them as the staff deserve them but may well think twice about adding any more on....

It's probably because of the refuseniks that they have put it up and this will mean the total take could be less than if they had left it alone because more pax will opt out.

David.

It's probably because of the refuseniks that they have put it up and this will mean the total take could be less than if they had left it alone because more pax will opt out.

David.

I fear you are right. Brits generally find tipping a challenge. A tenner a day per couple will mean many more people will opt.

Cb

It is a strange one, as a first time cruiser I don't understand. On Britannia it is about three passengers to every crew (roughly) so do they receive £105 per week each appx? Does every crew member get it? Regardless of duties/position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a strange one, as a first time cruiser I don't understand. On Britannia it is about three passengers to every crew (roughly) so do they receive £105 per week each appx? Does every crew member get it? Regardless of duties/position?

No not everyone get's it and they don't all get the same amount.

They also get very little by way of base pay and most of it comes from these tips [better called a service charge IMHO].

Basically it only goes to service staff, ie stewards, waiters etc. Some say that these people then "tip on" to those we don't see such as say laundry staff, I don't KNOW if that is true or not.