Luggage Advice

nomoreknothead

After 6 hard years, It's time to buy new luggage. We currently each have a 29' Samsonite Spinner Hybrid (hard/soft sided) & 20' Samsonite Spinner Hybrid Carry-on. They have held up really good but they were very expensive!!! The rubber has separated from the wheels, the fabric has started to tear in places and there is dents & marks of course!

We would like to go back with the same sizes 29' & 20' and want something that comes in colors other than black & gray/silver.

1...2....3.....Go! Thanks

I'll look at Heys ..... Thank You both!

Anyone hear of or have Delsey Luggage?

I have a small rolling carry-on but have not used it much so far

it is 2 wheels & handle it can sit on top of my larger case for getting to/from check in etc

I second the recommendation for Briggs and Riley Luggage. My husband is a commercial airline pilot and for years carried a travel pro brand bag like most airline employees. He went through a suitcase every 12 to 24 months. Approximately five years ago he went to buy yet another travel pro and the sales associate introduced us to Briggs And Riley. They offer a life time warranty on the bag. He has since sent it in for a new zipper and another time for a new set of wheels. No questions asked. Each time the bag came back they would say oh while we had it we did this and that extra. The bag is now approximately five years old and still looks almost brand-new.

Don't have a heart attack when you look at the prices. They are not cheap. However based on the length of time you will have them you will more than get your moneys worth. I suspect he will never buy another bag again. We won't buy anything but Briggs and Riley going forward.

One tip: go online and look for last year's discontinued model and or colors. If you find a store that carries this brand ask them specifically for discontinued models or colors. You will save a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I refuse to pay too much for luggage....even the "expensive" stuff gets beat up! My last set was from Marshall's.....but I'm still using my "beat up" preferred bag I got from Macy's about 15 years ago! That bag has been thru the wringer...I'll use it until it self destructs!

After 6 hard years, It's time to buy new luggage. We currently each have a 29' Samsonite Spinner Hybrid (hard/soft sided) & 20' Samsonite Spinner Hybrid Carry-on. They have held up really good but they were very expensive!!! The rubber has separated from the wheels, the fabric has started to tear in places and there is dents & marks of course!

We would like to go back with the same sizes 29' & 20' and want something that comes in colors other than black & gray/silver.

We've been pleased with our luggage bought at ebags.com

We no longer travel with anything larger than a 22" carryon. We recently bought new ones with particular specifications: Hard sided, opens in the middle and lays flat; expandable; has handle on the side to assist in getting in overhead bin; spinner wheels; one side zis closed. We looked online, in dept. stores, discount stores...I bought one in bright orange made by Revo. Found it in Belk's on deep discount. My sister ordered a different brand in lavender. We also looked in Burlington Coat Factory store, lots of choices there. Target, WalMart, KMart. EM

Had you purchased the upper end Travelpro, they're guaranteed forever with repair facilities through the US (and perhaps abroad).

Yes- those are the bags you see almost every airline crew member dragging behind them.

Had you purchased the upper end Travelpro, they're guaranteed forever with repair facilities through the US (and perhaps abroad).

Yes- those are the bags you see almost every airline crew member dragging behind them.

Samsonite has a 10yr guarantee but I would have to drive 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. to the nearest repair facility. Then leave the bags and return another time to pick them up. This is the problem with living in a small town. The Samsonite outlet we purchased our luggage from 6 yrs ago has now gone out of business and it was in the next town over!! UGH!

**** Correction to my prior statement .... just looked Dallas repair center has closed, Now only San Antonio!

Edited by nomoreknothead

We have Samsonite Lift spinners 29" that we've used about four years.

On our trip this summer I realized that it was getting difficult for me to handle rolling the bag even on hard floors. I did a lot of searching and found a rolling duffel that has 2 larger wheels and I ordered one to try.

This is the eBag Mother Lode 29". We were leaving for our fall trip in just a week or so after I received it and I was amazed how much more the Mother Lode held, how versatile it is, best of all I can handle it with no problem.

eBag Mother Lode has 29", 25", & 21". It comes in 4 colors.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-29-wheeled-duffel/125549?lastSearchTerm=ebags+tls+mother+lode+29%22+wheeled+duffel&pl=hdr_srch_as_l1

Edited by SPacificbound

I'd suggest taking a serious look at Eagle Creek brand. If you do a google search you can find the best price.

Eagle Creek has a life time guarantee. I had Samsonite prior to getting Eagle Creek several years ago.

Also take a look at Ebags brand from ebags.com They offer some great sales, so buy when its on sale. I have the 26" and 20-21" . Solid build, several styles and colors.

Edited by vmom

About four years ago, we were in need of new luggage. I read customer reviews on several different brands, and for the price range we had in mind, Samsonite was the top choice. We bought ours at Marshalls. We too did not want black. I bought red luggage, and my wife bought purple. Except for the inevitable scuff marks from airport conveyor belts, our luggage has held up really well. We also looked at Delsey. It's a good brand that gets favorable reviews. We just happened to like the Samsonite more. By the way, here's a little tip. If you buy some sort of colorful tags to put on your luggage, and the tags come with chains, don't use the chains. They're thin and break easily on those airport conveyor belts. Instead, use metal split key rings. Those don't come off unless you take them off.

I recently bought new luggage that was lightweight just 2.3 kgs empty. I bought mid range as no matter how careful you are it is going to get knocked about by airlines. Best thing ever, like other posters I went orange. No thinking is that my bag on luggage carousel because they all look alike. Pick it out first time. My daughter came with me on my last cruise, she had a bright pink hard sided case. We weren't going to miss our luggage. Lol

A thumbs up to IT luggage.

Used two pieces of maroon 'shiny nylon' bags on their maiden voyage LAX-Frankfort-Rome. First leg the 24" was empty and the smaller was a carryon.

Coming home both these pieces were checked thru. No marks, nothing broken.

Also have an older IT 24" bag. It's a 'canvas' type material, light yellow/green It's lost its IT tag and its scruffed up.

Bought all three at TJMaxx. Unfortunately I didn't see any IT bags there a few weeks ago.

I recently bought new luggage that was lightweight just 2.3 kgs empty. I bought mid range as no matter how careful you are it is going to get knocked about by airlines. Best thing ever, like other posters I went orange. No thinking is that my bag on luggage carousel because they all look alike. Pick it out first time. My daughter came with me on my last cruise, she had a bright pink hard sided case. We weren't going to miss our luggage. Lol

I have a 26" rose-colored spinner bag that I put a yellow strap around.

I could not believe in picking up luggage after transatlantic cruise that there was ANOTHER rose-colored 26" spinner with a yellow strap around it!

Luckily my yellow strap is personalized with my last name. So I easily got the right suitcase, but I was still surprised by the same color combination.

With the cost of luggage nowadays and having seen how the bags get handled both at the ports and at airports, I don't worry about 10 year warrantees (Samsonite, antler, etc). If I see a bag that meets my needs for size and is light weight, I have a good look at it's build but will likely buy it on the proviso that I think I will get two or three years out of it.:D