Difference between Millenium and Solstice class ships on a TA

Ken the cruiser

We're thinking of booking another transatlantic after being totally wowed on a recent Eclipse TA this past October. Right now we're leaning towards one on the Reflection, another S class ship. However, there is one on the Infinity, but since we haven't sailed on a M class ship before, we were wondering what the difference might be with regards to fun things to do on the many sea days?

On the Eclipse there were up to 3 lectures every sea day as well as interactive game shows and some great evening shows! We also had Jane Curry as one of the entertainers who simply made the TA a real hoot!!

We're not expecting another Eclipse TA experience, although it would be nice, but were wondering if there is any noticeable difference between the TA experience on a M class versus S class ship?

I would choose Reflection if you really enjoyed Eclipse. Reflection is a little newer and I really enjoy the crew, although there are always changes. I did Reflection for a TA last year and this my DH and I are doing Greece and Italy on her. M class ships are not my favorite, but that does not mean you cannot have a good time. I admit that I like new and the layout of OVC. There is a thread on here about Infinity, so you need to read it. Many on here love M class due to memories and other experiences, but I am not quite that devoted to M class ships, although I was on Millie and had a good time. I have done almost all the S class ships and Reflection and Eclipse have been my favorites. I cruise Europe for the wonderful history, ports and cultural experiences. So you could say I love new ships in and around Europe for the many different venues. Since activities are very important to you, you should not be disappointed at all! To me, itinerary is also very important too. Good luck with your research!

Edited by Lastdance

I just read the other Infinity thread that's running now and didn't gain much from it with regards to TA cruises on either M or S class ships.

We will be in a sky suite and are looking forward to eating in the Luminae. However, I just looked at the Infinity deck plan on the X website and the description of passengers that could access Michael's did not include any reference to those in sky suites.

Is this an oversight or are sky suite passengers not allowed to use Michael's?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I just read the other Infinity thread that's running now and didn't gain much from it with regards to TA cruises on either M or S class ships.

We will be in a sky suite and are looking forward to eating in the Luminae. However, I just looked at the Infinity deck plan on the X website and the description of passengers that could access Michael's did not include any reference to those in sky suites.

Sky Suite passengers have access to Luminae and Michaels Club on all ships. The website is incorrect.

We prefer Michaels Club on the M class ships as it has an alcove with exterior windows and a door letting some natural light. The Sky Suites on the M class ships are smaller than on the S class.

Sky Suite passengers have access to Luminae and Michaels Club on all ships. The website is incorrect.

We prefer Michaels Club on the M class ships as it has an alcove with exterior windows and a door letting some natural light. The Sky Suites on the M class ships are smaller than on the S class.

Thank you for clearing that up. Had me worried for a second. As far as being smaller, that's ok. I'm sure they are still significantly bigger than a veranda.

If you are able to upgrade to a Celebrity Suite, I think the M-class CS is a terrific accommodation. The huge curved window allows you to enjoy the sea view despite the weather, and there is also a very long [but narrow] balcony all along that curve. If you plan to use the balcony, prefer the aft-facing CS as the forward ones get a lot of wind; otherwise the forwards have a nicer view. The mid-ship location is also very convenient, and provides a smooth ride.

Someone else recently asked the same question about SS passengers and Michael's Club. Originally Michael's was limited to higher level suites and Zenith Captain Club members. But several years ago, if I remember correctly in late 2105 or early 2016, Sky Suite passengers were granted access to Michael's Club but lost limited complimentary dining. Sky Suite passengers are allowed access to Michael's. Some outdated information must have been resurrected. And we have been in Michael's on both M- and S-class ships, and also prefer the M-class Michael's. I also prefer the Luminae layout on the M-class ships.

We have done trans-Atlantics on both M- and S-class ships. There won't be much difference in activities or evening entertainment. And while some folks have definite preferences regarding M- versus S-class ships I think there are pluses and minuses for each. Let the itinerary lead your decision.

If you are able to upgrade to a Celebrity Suite, I think the M-class CS is a terrific accommodation. The huge curved window allows you to enjoy the sea view despite the weather, and there is also a very long [but narrow] balcony all along that curve. If you plan to use the balcony, prefer the aft-facing CS as the forward ones get a lot of wind; otherwise the forwards have a nicer view. The mid-ship location is also very convenient, and provides a smooth ride.

We are definitely aft-facing cabin cruisers, so we'll check out the price difference and see if it's doable. Do you get anything else when you book a CS that you wouldn't get, other than a larger cabin, with a SS?

We are definitely aft-facing cabin cruisers, so we'll check out the price difference and see if it's doable. Do you get anything else when you book a CS that you wouldn't get, other than a larger cabin, with a SS?

Celebrity Suites used to get some limited complimentary specialty dining, as did Sky Suites, but when access was allowed to MC the limited complimentary specialty dining ended. We book both CS and SS (and also Aqua Class staterooms) and I can't think of any perks a CS receives that a SS wouldn't receive. Same benefits -- access to Michael's Club and Luminae.

There are no aft-facing SS or CS on the M-class, so that may send you back to Reflection. There are four SS that are considered the best: 6131/2 (huge triangular balcony but it faces forward) and 6145/6 (designed as add-ons to the PS that is aft-facing; if PS is booked without its SS you can have it and revel in the super duper marble bathroom). But these are all on deck 6, which is very low. There are only a few SS on higher decks, and most are Accessible. I wouldn't take 9111 because it's below the pool deck, so that only leaves 8117. But take a look at the layout of the CS suites: you get a lot more space and two separate rooms, and there's a proper dining table in the living room. I would consider 8106 the top choice but 9098 may be quiet enough.

There are no aft-facing SS or CS on the M-class, so that may send you back to Reflection. There are four SS that are considered the best: 6131/2 (huge triangular balcony but it faces forward) and 6145/6 (designed as add-ons to the PS that is aft-facing; if PS is booked without its SS you can have it and revel in the super duper marble bathroom). But these are all on deck 6, which is very low. There are only a few SS on higher decks, and most are Accessible. I wouldn't take 9111 because it's below the pool deck, so that only leaves 8117. But take a look at the layout of the CS suites: you get a lot more space and two separate rooms, and there's a proper dining table in the living room. I would consider 8106 the top choice but 9098 may be quiet enough.

Thanks Jazzbeau for the great review and for the fact, which we would have eventually noticed, there are no aft-facing SS or CS cabins on the M-class. That makes our decision that much easier unless there is a TA itinerary on a M-class that really peeks our interest.

• 1 month later...

Helpful thread. Sailed the Connie a while back and more recently S class ships (which we really enjoy)

Booked the Infinity (price and itinerary) and got a terrific stateroom position.

Am concerned that she is older and in need of refurbing. Wish X was rolling out the upgrades as originally published (infinity was org scheduled for 10/2018 which DID impact our reservation choice) its now in 2020