$15 cork fee in the dinning room

sweets2323

I called carnival to confirm a few things and I was told I was not able to bring my own water and there will be a $15 cork fee if I open the bottle in any restaurant even if I bring my own bottle opener. :confused:

She said we are supposed to only drink the wine in our room:eek:

I wanted to pour the glass of wine and possibly walk and sip if I wanted too.

I thought we were allowed to bring our own water. I guess the policy changed.

We can bring 12 packs of soda per passenger.

The sodas has to be carried in my carry on.. That's discouraging.

I will go ahead and order a few cases of water and bring my own cup to fill it with water when going to the port. .

I wonder if we could use our own cup. I should have asked that question too.

You can bring water - if it is in cans. "Sugar-free, caffeine-free, taste-free soda", as it were. Bottles have been identified as a primary way of smuggling booze on board, apparently.

I am sure if you poured a glass of wine from your bottle in your cabin and walked around, no-one would know you hadn't bought it at a bar. You can walk into the MDR with a drink, no problem. Just be prepared to have them take away your glass when empty.

Yes, you can use your own drink container, on ship or off. Hasn't John Heald been babbling about such things recently?

You can bring a bottle of water off the ship you just can't bring it ON TO the ship with you.

You can take a glass of wine to the dining room with you. Just ask for a wine glass at a bar and pour it in your room.

Corkage fees are not for "uncorking" your bottle of wine. It is a fee for bringing your own wine to a restaurant instead of purchasing it from them. They will chill and serve it to you and yes, uncork it, for a corkage fee. (they don't always charge it but that is their policy as well as most restaurants anywhere)

The cork fee is something charged in many restaurants that allow you to BYOB. It's called a cork (or corkage) fee but it is not for opening the bottle, its how they make money off of you drinking wine even though you aren't ordering their wine. Many people have reported bringing their own bottles into the MDR and Carnival not bothering to charge the fee, but policy is that they are supposed to so you may risk the fee if you do.

What many people do to avoid the fee is to simply ask for a wine glass from the bar, pour the wine into the glass in their room and then carry it into the MDR and enjoy it with dinner. Carnival policy is that you are not supposed to do that, which is I am sure why they told you that, but I have never seen nor heard it actually enforced.

It is very much recommended that you bring one of the large sippy cups with you. (I recommend getting one with a soft straw, the straws tend to survive traveling much better.) That way you can fill up your cup and take it back to your chair with you. The cups on Carnival are small and truly don't hold a great deal.

Cans only for the soda - 12 pack - in carry on. If you are going to do that, I recommend one of the shopping bags that have wheels (you see them at alot of home shows, etc.) for carrying them. We could always fit two in mine and made it far easier to carry onto the ship. Be aware they may inspect your soda/wine very carefully. I've been waived through by some folks and others have highly scrutinized the soda/wine. Just go with the flow, if they do it will only be a moment and you will be back on your way.

Have a great cruise!!!!

I used to bring my own water on board ship but since Carnival brought down the price of the bottled water its easier to buy their water instead. I suggest looking into it when I last cruised it was less than $5 for 6 bottles I may be mistaken by the quantity but its more convent to buy the cruise lines water or bring a refillable bottles. I heard the ships water is good to drink but I preferred bottled.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just ordered a 12 pack of water for our cabin at $4.50. It's much easier than carrying on canned water. Since we only drink 1 maybe 2 sodas per day, we just pay as we go. As far as wine, we do like to take a bottle with us. It seems there are always glasses in the cabin already. So I can use those glasses or go redneck & just pour it into my yeti. I take my wine wherever I wish. There's never been an issue with it.

"Just be prepared to have them take away your glass when empty."

no they won't I brought it from my cabin, we have never been charged a corkage fee and bring a full open bottle to the MDR. We bring the unfinished bottle and our glasses back to the cabin

"Just be prepared to have them take away your glass when empty."

no they won't I brought it from my cabin, we have never been charged a corkage fee and bring a full open bottle to the MDR. We bring the unfinished bottle and our glasses back to the cabin

What I meant was they might just take it away while generally clearing your plates etc. Not that they are going to confiscate it. If you stay on top of it, it will be allowed to remain!

We always carry wine w/ us and usually have the TA that we book through gives us a bottle, delivered to our stateroom on embarkation day. Our experience, if you are really good to/or have really good dining servers, they will open and serve your bottles and not charge you the $15 fee. MANY cruises we've never been charged the $15 fee.

We always carry wine w/ us and usually have the TA that we book through gives us a bottle, delivered to our stateroom on embarkation day. Our experience, if you are really good to/or have really good dining servers, they will open and serve your bottles and not charge you the $15 fee. MANY cruises we've never been charged the $15 fee.

We have had pretty much the same experience, but we always open the bottle in our cabin before taking it to the MDR. In actual practice, most servers will not charge the corkage fee for fear of having their tips reduced or removed. (We almost always give our servers additional cash tips.)

My last several cruises I have brought my own 16oz Tervis cup for coffee and 1-2 of the Tervis bottles to take water with us in port. Just make sure they are empty if you put them in your carry on at check in. Coming back on ships at ports they have never said anything about me still having liquid in my Tervis bottle. As for the wine just open it yourself in your room and bring a full glass with you to the MDR I have seen lots of people do it every night every cruise. They don't question where the drink comes from when you enter the dining rooms or shows.