circumnavigating Australia - good or bad experience?

matamanoa

Hi again.

I did the GBR snorkel excursion. It was quite expensive. When I researched it before, I was shown a picture of the large docking port that had a buffet area and multiple levels. It was not what we got. We were put on a boat that held 100 people and this is where we stayed. The boat ride out to the reef was 90 min. The plan was to stay there for 5 hrs then head back to land. In reality, we were only out there for 1.5 hrs. During that time, 2-3 people were stung by jelly fish ( right by the boat) and a man had a heart attack. We had to pull up anchor and head closer to land so he could be evacuated. That took a couple of hours. We then went back to the spot but by then we were all dry and didn’t want to go back in. Also, the snorkel they gave me leaked water and the second one I got wasn’t much better. I was not impressed with the excursion or the company that ran it. Princess gave me 1/2 of my money back. The current in the reef was very strong. I’m a good swimmer and I’ve snorkeled the Caribbean many times but I did not enjoy this excursion. I’m sure that others might be able to give you their impressions but this is mine.

If you still are going to do it, book it early as it sells out fast!

Hi again.

I did the GBR snorkel excursion. It was quite expensive. When I researched it before, I was shown a picture of the large docking port that had a buffet area and multiple levels. It was not what we got. We were put on a boat that held 100 people and this is where we stayed. The boat ride out to the reef was 90 min. The plan was to stay there for 5 hrs then head back to land. In reality, we were only out there for 1.5 hrs. During that time, 2-3 people were stung by jelly fish ( right by the boat) and a man had a heart attack. We had to pull up anchor and head closer to land so he could be evacuated. That took a couple of hours. We then went back to the spot but by then we were all dry and didn’t want to go back in. Also, the snorkel they gave me leaked water and the second one I got wasn’t much better. I was not impressed with the excursion or the company that ran it. Princess gave me 1/2 of my money back. The current in the reef was very strong. I’m a good swimmer and I’ve snorkeled the Caribbean many times but I did not enjoy this excursion. I’m sure that others might be able to give you their impressions but this is mine.

Wow!. I'm glad I read this. I just booked it with the same expectation that you had. Did you do this out of Cairns?

My husband is not a snorkeler and I convinced him to come along because of the same expectations you had. (Because of the price, he was willing to do another excursion while I did the GBR one.) Maybe we need to rethink this. And, yes, I've already booked it for the two of us.

I just went and reread the description which doesn't say anything about the multilevel mooring you mentioned, and expected. I anticipated the same because everything I've read on this site says it is done by Reef Magic and that is what they do.

Is that the tour operator you were with?

This one is on our bucket list but we won’t do it on a Sun Class ship. Eventually, Princess will do it with another ship, so we’re waiting for that.

It is also on our bucket list. I have noticed though that you need to book early as they are almost filled a year out every time. 2020 or 2021 might be the year!

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

As you can see, it’s the same boat. If your husband doesn’t swim, there is NOTHING for him to do! Also, bring your own gear as theirs leaked. Would I pay again to use these people, probably not but there is not enough time to use anyone else.

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

As you can see, it’s the same boat. If your husband doesn’t swim, there is NOTHING for him to do! Also, bring your own gear as theirs leaked. Would I pay again to use these people, probably not but there is not enough time to use anyone else.

I found this tour operator out of Cairns and they have an 11 am to 5 pm tour to Green Island

https://greenisland.com.au/green-island-tours/cairns-reef-tours/

We are in port 10 to 7 so this should work. I know it is not 'the reef' but it sounds like it could be a very disappointing tour. Was the boat the Reef Magic or another?

Hi again.

How disappointing for u.... I am glad you received a partial refund. I appreciate you taking your time and relaying your experience.

We have booked the 10 day GBR cruise prior to the 28 days and 3 ports have GBR excursions, 2 describe the mooring dock. Personally I would prefer not to be docked ...but as Diane says...it certainly would not be very interesting for her DH and others that bought into the description.

And with 100 people on the boat not a quick emergency skiff...what's with that.? They know so many of the people are going to be inexperienced, clueless and lack in swimming skills...

Your equipment leaking??.....simply unacceptable! and totally disappointing.

So glad to hear that you did not let this experience take away from your enjoyment of the cruise.

Now a new question...your comment " Don’t miss out on visiting Melbourne and Adelaide just because of a few waves."

Did some people stay on the ship due questionable weather in those ports?

So tell us about the markets, what made them so amazing?

Edited by land lover

Hi

I wish I could post some pictures. I tried to post pictures of the boat but they didn’t work. Maybe I’ll try again when I get home from work tonight.

The reason why I said the part about don’t miss Melbourne, etc was that the lower part of Australia was where we had the worst seas. Some people might choose to only do the cruise from Perth onward to avoid the bad seas. Those people miss out on Tasmania and the markets.

Now let’s talk markets! Both Melbourne and Adelaide have MASSIVE working outdoor markets. You take a bus to the markets, very easy to find. We loved walking around and looking at everything. So much fun!!!

Hi

I wish I could post some pictures. I tried to post pictures of the boat but they didn’t work. Maybe I’ll try again when I get home from work tonight.

The reason why I said the part about don’t miss Melbourne, etc was that the lower part of Australia was where we had the worst seas. Some people might choose to only do the cruise from Perth onward to avoid the bad seas. Those people miss out on Tasmania and the markets.

Now let’s talk markets! Both Melbourne and Adelaide have MASSIVE working outdoor markets. You take a bus to the markets, very easy to find. We loved walking around and looking at everything. So much fun!!!

This link might answer your questions on how to post the pictures.

Posting Pictures

Hi

It would be great if you could post some photos....any others tips for a newbie?

And what if any purchases did you make, which you found unique to Australia?

And what if any purchases did you make, which you found unique to Australia?

On the Australia board, I was alerted to Cherry Ripe

https://www.google.com/search?q=australia+cherry+ripe&rlz=1C1GYPO_enUS747US747&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipju6ohvLZAhXl6IMKHYykBssQiR4IygE&biw=1366&bih=637

I'm planning on stocking up. :D

Hi again.

Wanted to ask you a bit more about this. One of the ladies on our RC called Princess and they said the pictures on the page of the tour description are accurate. We do dock at the pontoon because the catamaran is not big enough to handle everyone for lunch.

Your comments?

Well this is definitely wrong. The company that took us was Reef Magic and when I asked them on the boat if we would be going to the large vessel, and they said that we were on the boat and this is where we would stay.

If you read what it says, it states that you would go out for 90 minutes to a “mourning” (anchor) and you would enter the water from the back of the boat. That is exactly what we did. The people you call on the phone are only customer service people. They looked at the picture and says it looks like that. If you really want to know, email Reef Magic. All I know is that is not what we got. You pay a lot of money, you should know what you are getting.

Well this is definitely wrong. The company that took us was Reef Magic and when I asked them on the boat if we would be going to the large vessel, and they said that we were on the boat and this is where we would stay.

If you read what it says, it states that you would go out for 90 minutes to a “mourning” (anchor) and you would enter the water from the back of the boat. That is exactly what we did. The people you call on the phone are only customer service people. They looked at the picture and says it looks like that. If you really want to know, email Reef Magic. All I know is that is not what we got. You pay a lot of money, you should know what you are getting.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for the excellent suggestion to email Reef Magic. I'm going to do just that!

And just to confirm, you sailed November 2017?

Edited by diane.in.ny

Wanted to ask you a bit more about this. One of the ladies on our RC called Princess and they said the pictures on the page of the tour description are accurate. We do dock at the pontoon because the catamaran is not big enough to handle everyone for lunch.

Your comments?

I think the response from the call centre operator is funny. :D I have been on a tour Reef Magic GBR tour from Airlie beach to the large pontoon on Hardy Reef. The reason we went to the pontoon wasn't to have lunch on the pontoon!!! We had lunch on the catamaran that took us to the reef. The pontoon is great. There is a room with an enormous glass window that looks directly out onto the reef and there is a large grouper that comes to be fed. When we were there, the semi-submersible had a malfunction and wasn't operating.

Just as an added note: All of the cruises that go around Australia are already sold out for next year. I guess we'll have to look ahead to booking early for 2020!

Barb

From the Princess threads, I found out when my cruise was opening for booking. My travel agent sat with her screen open, refreshing it, and was able to book our cabin about 10 minutes before official opening time.

That said, don't give up for 2019. Keep watching. I have seen our sailing SOLD OUT and then not. Just a few days ago there was available Inside, Outside and Balcony.

I think the response from the call centre operator is funny. :D I have been on a tour Reef Magic GBR tour from Airlie beach to the large pontoon on Hardy Reef. The reason we went to the pontoon wasn't to have lunch on the pontoon!!! We had lunch on the catamaran that took us to the reef. The pontoon is great. There is a room with an enormous glass window that looks directly out onto the reef and there is a large grouper that comes to be fed. When we were there, the semi-submersible had a malfunction and wasn't operating.

Interesting. Thank you!

Hi Diane

Yes we sailed on the Sun Princess. We were in Cairns on Oct.29.

Thanks, Kim.

I and another member of our RC have been in touch with Reef Magic and they confirm what you already wrote.

Princess OTOH insists we are going to a pontoon. That's 2 phone calls and 2 different people in Shore Excusions.

My money is on what you and Reef Magic have told us. :)