car parking southampton

gillyg

does anybody have a recommended company for parking at Southampton?

this will be our first time not flying

thanks

If you search back through this forum you will see several threads with recommendations for lots of options.

CPS are the recommended company from P&O where they meet at the terminal and take you car away for the duration of the cruise and return it to terminal disembarking from the only downside is it is very expensive. We use Parking4Cruises who do exactly the same but you meet them in short stay car park and the same on disembarking. They are a lot cheaper than CPS normally and we have used them many times and found to be excellent. Both have websites if you want to know more.

We have always used CPC (sometimes managing to get it FOC) and have found them very good but not always the cheapest, but you get what you pay for, we like the fact that you unload at the dock side and then just walk to the ship, now they have started to take photos/video of your car to save any confusion should there be a problem, I understand that your car is parked within the port and they are parked in such a way that the chance of you car getting stolen is slim. when you return you just collect your luggage and walk to the car park, last time it was just across the road go to the key collection point show your key card (that they gave you when dropping of your car) you are then given your keys and told which row it's parked. I think last time it was about 20 mins ship to M27. Although a few years ago it was hard to give somebody the keys to my 5 week old car but that was just me.

If you look on google maps at Southampton docks you can pick out the car parks and zoom in to see how the cars are parked and at least you know that your cars not parked on some waste land with no security.

or shuttle option from around the side of southampton - penguin parking - used them several times also very good...

Same here , good prices and a bottle of water each on your return also 5% discount given to existing customers.

with CPS, do you have to go to a car park 'off site' and then walk to the terminal?

No, you drive up to the terminal. Your luggage is offloaded and you hand over the keys and they give you a receipt. On return you give them your receipt and they give you your keys and tell you where your car is parked, which is just across the road from the terminal.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with CPS is they only offer a "meet & greet" service - I used such service at Gatwick once and never again, I want a self park service where the car is locked and I keep the keys. Sailed with Norweigan last September and this is what was provided, however this parking company does not cover P&O cruises. Anyone got any suggestions for self parking service, even it it means a taxi to / from the port. Thanks

The problem with CPS is they only offer a "meet & greet" service - I used such service at Gatwick once and never again, I want a self park service where the car is locked and I keep the keys. Sailed with Norweigan last September and this is what was provided, however this parking company does not cover P&O cruises. Anyone got any suggestions for self parking service, even it it means a taxi to / from the port. Thanks

I think the Holiday Inn hotel offers parking in their car park at a daily rate to non-residents. They also use West-Quay cars taxi service for transfers both ways. You could phone the hotel an enquire. Their system is park the car yourself round the back and place the permit on the dashboard details of your vehicle are retained at reception.

Regards John

It is worth remembering that parking is never ‘free’ with P&O. You are always sacrificing additional On Board Credit (OBC) by accepting it, usually of the same value as the cost to you if you booked and paid for CPS yourself. Even if you get free parking plus OBC, you would have had a greater amount of OBC had you declined the parking.

Another thing that few people know is that you can change your mind after booking, as long as you haven’t made the confirmation booking with CPS. The additional OBC that you are given will be based upon the offer at the time you made the original booking.

We have used CPS for all 14 of our P&O cruises to date. The service is usually very good, but we have had a few problems with them. We once had the car returned with a dent in a door. They tried to wriggle out of it and only agreed to pay for a repair ‘because they couldn’t tell if it was there at drop off from their photo’. That left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth as we knew it wasn’t. Last year we did a back to back 2 night plus 7 night. As 2 nighters are self park rather than drop off, I had called (twice) to arrange drop off at a set time as we had several cases and my wife is a wheelchair user. We turned up at the set time and no CPS staff were there. Finally, if you do use CPS don’t waste money on the £25 car wash. We started using it because cars parked in the Mayflower terminal area often end up covered in a film of sticky dust from an adjacent commercial facility. The standard of wash is very poor. My local £5 hand car wash is ten times better and one fifth of the cost.

We are using Parking4Cruises for the first time this September so will be interested to see how they are. As it’s a 24 night cruise, they are £129 versus CPS £252. We received £250 extra OBC by declining the ‘free’ parking with CPS, so are £121 up as a result. I would usually pay extra for the ultimate convenience of CPS drop off, but thought that, with a price difference of that magnitude, it was worth trying an alternative.

I alsp prefer the ABP parking that is offered at City terminal but never had any issues with CPS regarding damage, or concerns about security. On our recent cruise we switched to Parking4cruises, mainly on price, who also operate a valet parking service, the service was excellent and we will certainly use them in future. Both CPS and P4C store the cars in the port area, so security is good and parking mileage minimal.

I alsp prefer the ABP parking that is offered at City terminal but never had any issues with CPS regarding damage, or concerns about security. On our recent cruise we switched to Parking4cruises, mainly on price, who also operate a valet parking service, the service was excellent and we will certainly use them in future. Both CPS and P4C store the cars in the port area, so security is good and parking mileage minimal.

Parking4cruises do not park the cars in the port area they are parked on an industrial estate in Millbank Street east of Southampton football ground near to the River Itchen

Parking4cruises do not park the cars in the port area they are parked on an industrial estate in Millbank Street east of Southampton football ground near to the River Itchen

Is it OK there? We will have not long taken delivery of a fairly expensive new car when we use them for the first time? :o

I was assuming it must be very close since there was only 3 miles added to the Speedo when we got back, the info I had received was that the cars were stored in the port area, which this tended to confirm.

My husband is very picky about car parks and does not like anyone driving his car or leaving his keys with anyone.

If you use Penguin parking they have a self park section. Basically you pay a bit more than the normal rate to park in a spot and it's not moved for the whole stay. You do have to leave them your keys but only for if the alarm goes off.

Last year we parked in Triangle car park which is across from Ocean terminal. You park and keep your keys, plus its a short walk to the terminal.

This year we are parking in the same car park but with taxi transfers.

I was assuming it must be very close since there was only 3 miles added to the Speedo when we got back, the info I had received was that the cars were stored in the port area, which this tended to confirm.

Out of Ocean terminal and they go on main road network towards Southampton Football Club and their offices and storage area are on an industrial estate not far from Ocean Terminal but not within port area. If you dont believe me then Google Street View the address and you can see where they store the cars.

Out of Ocean terminal and they go on main road network towards Southampton Football Club and their offices and storage area are on an industrial estate not far from Ocean Terminal but not within port area. If you dont believe me then Google Street View the address and you can see where they store the cars.

Tom, I did not say I did not believe you, and having already viewed the Google map and seen what I assume is their parking area I accept it is not inside the port confines.

However what is your opinion of the security of this site and would you be willing to use it, if not why not.

Tom, I did not say I did not believe you, and having already viewed the Google map and seen what I assume is their parking area I accept it is not inside the port confines.

However what is your opinion of the security of this site and would you be willing to use it, if not why not.

I have used P4C a number of times and have never had a problem with their service but do worry about the security and safety of my car while cruising. CPS meet ParkMark security which is a leading industrial standard P4C meet none of these requirements.