Has anyone taken the NCL shore excursion in Honningsvag to see the Puffins

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Northern Europe & Baltic Sea
Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Reykjavik, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:11 PM.
canada
1,966 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Hi
Wondering if any one has taken the Puffin excursion from Honningsvag. We are wondering how close we would get to the birds. Any photographers out there that could share what size telephoto they took. Was the boat stable for great shots.

Also did the excursion stop anywhere before or after the puffin safari? We would be going at the end of June, 2017.

Also any other suggestions for our Honningsvag stop. Thanks so much.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

25 Cruises and counting:
2017 MSC Divina Western Caribbean
2017 NCL Jade Hamburg to North Cape Norway, 2016/ RCL Legend Hawaii to Vancouver
2015/RCL Explorer of the Seas Canary Islands,2014/RCL Legend of the Seas Norwegian Fjords b2b with Legend of the Seas Scand/Russia2013/Carnival Conquest West.Carib-Belize&Hondurous 2013/Inaugaural Carnival Sunshine cruise,W.Med 2012/RCL Vision of the Seas Southern Car.12 2012/Celebrity Summit SanJuan to NYC 2011/HAL Rotterdam T/A from Fort Lauderdale to Rotterdam ,stopover Iceland 2010/NCL Gem b2b Med.from Venice 2009/NCL Dawn Circle the Caribbean from NYC 2009/NCL Gem T/A Miami to Barcelona 2008/Celebrity Century T/A Fl. to Amsterdam 2007/Crown Princess Southern Caribbean from SanJuan 2007/RCL 4 day Bahamas 2007/Carnival Sensation Turks and Caicos 2006/Carnival Spirit Hawaii to Vancouver 2005/ RCL Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean 2004/Sunquest Western Caribbean going to Cuba 2003/Carnival Fascination Eastern Caribbean 1999/Carnival Pride Western Caribbean 1997/Sunquest Southern Caribbean 1995/ Carnival Inspiration Caribbean 1993/Carnival Celebration Eastern Caribbean
U.K.
1,844 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
I've been on a puffin excursion from Honningsvag, but not with NCL, I was with Princess but I assume the excursions are very similar.. We got very close to the puffins, there were literally thousands of them on the sea and the sky was black with them. It was amazing. We also saw guillemots, razorbills and lots of eagles. I can't help with the photography as I had only taken my tablet and didn't bother after a few minutes, I decided to just enjoy the birds. I wouldn't describe the boat as stable for photography though, it was a bit choppy, but I am no photographer so with the right equipment it might be fine. There were certainly plenty of folks taking photos. We also got near some seals on the rocks. We didn't stop anywhere on the way to the village where we took the boat from. It was quite a long drive through fairly barren landscape but we saw lots of reindeer on the way. I'd certainly recommend it.
canada
1,966 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Thank you so much for the recommendation. I was hoping we would have a stop at the reindeers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

25 Cruises and counting:
2017 MSC Divina Western Caribbean
2017 NCL Jade Hamburg to North Cape Norway, 2016/ RCL Legend Hawaii to Vancouver
2015/RCL Explorer of the Seas Canary Islands,2014/RCL Legend of the Seas Norwegian Fjords b2b with Legend of the Seas Scand/Russia2013/Carnival Conquest West.Carib-Belize&Hondurous 2013/Inaugaural Carnival Sunshine cruise,W.Med 2012/RCL Vision of the Seas Southern Car.12 2012/Celebrity Summit SanJuan to NYC 2011/HAL Rotterdam T/A from Fort Lauderdale to Rotterdam ,stopover Iceland 2010/NCL Gem b2b Med.from Venice 2009/NCL Dawn Circle the Caribbean from NYC 2009/NCL Gem T/A Miami to Barcelona 2008/Celebrity Century T/A Fl. to Amsterdam 2007/Crown Princess Southern Caribbean from SanJuan 2007/RCL 4 day Bahamas 2007/Carnival Sensation Turks and Caicos 2006/Carnival Spirit Hawaii to Vancouver 2005/ RCL Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean 2004/Sunquest Western Caribbean going to Cuba 2003/Carnival Fascination Eastern Caribbean 1999/Carnival Pride Western Caribbean 1997/Sunquest Southern Caribbean 1995/ Carnival Inspiration Caribbean 1993/Carnival Celebration Eastern Caribbean
U.K.
1,844 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
We didn't stop at the reindeers, you had to take photos through the bus windows. They roam everywhere, so some were far off, others were right by the road, or on it, so the bus had to slow right down anyway.