Live from the Sapphire - March 24-31

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:27 PM.
Oregon
299 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Just boarded the Sapphire and the upgrades are fabulous! Since this is a California coastal cruise, I'll be able to post frequently and answer any questions that anyone has.

Princess started using a staggered embarkation with this cruise. We flew in this morning and arrived at the port around 12:40 (our scheduled time to embark was 1:30). Being platinum, we weren't sure if we'd have to wait to get on the ship. Turns out, if you are platinum, elite, or a suite passenger, you get to bypass all waiting. All other passengers were waiting in the terminal for their alloted boarding time (not sure if they had boarding cards or what).

We have a balcony and still have the old, comfy furniture. The only difference that I see to the room is the new, big flat screen tv. The only unexpected thing about our room was that we walked into one king bed, rather than the 2 twins that we expected. Our room stewardess, Jocelyn, is very nice and said it will be fixed before bed.

We had lunch in the international cafe and it was great (chicken cashew salad and a tuna panini...chocolate peanut butter mousse for dessert). The buffet was a cattle call, as usual. I didn't see a special at the grill like I had read about on here earlier.

Like I said earlier, if you have any questions, ask (I can post pics too)! I have internet on my phone in all the ports and we have the platinum internet package on the ship, so I should be able to post frequently.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises:

Completed Cruises:

12/16 - Regal Princess, Holiday Southern Caribbean Medley, 11 Days
12/15 - Grand Princess, Mexican Riviera, 10 Days
7/15 - Island Princess, Swiss Splendors and Lake Como, 7 Day Land Tour, 12 Day Cruise
3/15 - Ruby Princess, Mexican Riviera, 7 Days
8/14 - Ocean Princess, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, 8 Days
7/14 - Ocean Princess, Scandinavia and Russia Collection, 14 Days
7/14 - Ocean Princess, Iceland and Norway, 14 Days
12/13-1/14 - Island Princess, Panama Canal (Full Transit - Westbound), 15 Days
8/13 - Crown Princess, Norwegian Fjords, 8 Days
7/13 - Crown Princess, Mediterranean Medley, 14 Days
12/12-1/13 - Grand Princess, Caribbean Grand Adventure, 14 Days
7/12 - Caribbean Princess, British Isles, 12 Days
3/12 - Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, 7 Days
8/11 - Emerald Princess, Europe's Imperial Treasures Cruise Tour, 8 Day Land Tour, 11 Day Cruise
3/11 - Sapphire Princess, Mexican Riviera, 7 Days
8/10 - Royal Princess, Alaska Connoisseur Voyage, 14 Days
3/10 - Sapphire Princess, Mexican Riviera, 7 Days
8/09 - Star Princess, Inside Passage with Tracy Arm Fjord, 7 Days
Oregon
299 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
This was in our room upon arrival (sorry it's sideways...my phone won't let me edit the photos).

Here was our dessert from the international cafe (chocolate peanut butter mousse in the mug, tiramisu in the glass).

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises:

Completed Cruises:

12/16 - Regal Princess, Holiday Southern Caribbean Medley, 11 Days
12/15 - Grand Princess, Mexican Riviera, 10 Days
7/15 - Island Princess, Swiss Splendors and Lake Como, 7 Day Land Tour, 12 Day Cruise
3/15 - Ruby Princess, Mexican Riviera, 7 Days
8/14 - Ocean Princess, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, 8 Days
7/14 - Ocean Princess, Scandinavia and Russia Collection, 14 Days
7/14 - Ocean Princess, Iceland and Norway, 14 Days
12/13-1/14 - Island Princess, Panama Canal (Full Transit - Westbound), 15 Days
8/13 - Crown Princess, Norwegian Fjords, 8 Days
7/13 - Crown Princess, Mediterranean Medley, 14 Days
12/12-1/13 - Grand Princess, Caribbean Grand Adventure, 14 Days
7/12 - Caribbean Princess, British Isles, 12 Days
3/12 - Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, 7 Days
8/11 - Emerald Princess, Europe's Imperial Treasures Cruise Tour, 8 Day Land Tour, 11 Day Cruise
3/11 - Sapphire Princess, Mexican Riviera, 7 Days
8/10 - Royal Princess, Alaska Connoisseur Voyage, 14 Days
3/10 - Sapphire Princess, Mexican Riviera, 7 Days
8/09 - Star Princess, Inside Passage with Tracy Arm Fjord, 7 Days
463 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
We will be on the same cruise in a few weeks. When you say Platinum can board early, do you mean any time, or just early during their allotted boarding time. Thanks and enjoy your cruise!
25,051 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
They started replacing the TVs in January 2011. As I was disembarking, the flash screens were embarking. I think it took a few months to get this done.

Can you find out when the current Captain is leaving the ship and when Captain Nick Carlton is getting onboard? I think it will probably be in May sometime. Trying to figure out who my Captain will be in May.

If you have a chance - can you stop into my future cabin and cement the old furniture to the floor so that it can't be removed in the future???? I sure hope they are not planning on replacing the furniture on this ship by this summer. If you run into anyone in the know - if you can find out about that that would be great .

Have a great cruise!
San Diego, California
5,116 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Thanks for checking in and the cute photo's

Looking forward to your additional reports
Srpilo
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Does anyone really care where my next cruise is ?
Atlanta, GA U.S.A.
186 Posts
Joined Nov 2000
Will you please tell me if all of Skywalkers is reserved during the hours of 5 to 7pm for the Elite/Platinum lounge, so that no other passengers are allowed in that area? Just curious.

Also, does your cabin seem to have a newer pillow-top mattress as has been mentioned.

Thanks and have a wonderful cruise.
Burbank, CA
86 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
We're leaving next Saturday (31st), and I am curious what the rotation will be for the dinner menus. Specifically, we are not real big fans of the Caribbean Night menu, and am curious if it is on your cruise and what night - for us, a good night to book a specialty restaurant.

Also, we're Platinum, so it sounds like boarding is pretty much when we get there.

Have fun - this is usually our Mexican cruise, so it will be interesting to see how the different weather and ports will affect our week.

MCB
Sebastian, Fl
7 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
We are doing Califorina Coastal May 5th,hope to find reasonable trip to Nappa Wine country. Did customs hold your departure from the ship up. Barbaretta
Kansas
2,246 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Thanks for posting live from the Sapphire on embarkation day. Looking forward to more reports.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next Up:
Pacific Princess - April 24, 2016 - 17 day Panama Canal - Fort Lauderdale to San Pedro

Past Cruises:
2/23/2013 Sapphire Princess - 14 Day LA/Hawaii/LA
12/17/2011 Sapphire Princess - 14 Day LA/Hawaii/LA
1/2/2011 HAL Zaandam - 10 Day Sea of Cortez
12/15/2010 Coral Princess - 15 Day - Panama Canal
12/21/09 HAL Statendam - 18 Day - Panama Canal
09/14/09 Coral Princess - 11 Day Alaska Cruise Tour
12/20/08 Emerald Princess - 10 Day Caribbean - FL
12/18/07 Diamond Princess - 15 Day LA/Hawaii/LA
12/17/06 Celebrity Millennium - 7 Day Caribbean - FL
12/14/05 Coral Princess - 10 Day Panama Canal
12/18/04 Caribbean Princess - 7 Day Caribbean - FL
12/16/03 Island Princess - 10 Day Panama Canal
12/12/02 Sea Princess - 7 Day Caribbean out of San Juan
12/14/01 Celebrity Galaxy - 7 Day Caribbean - San Juan
saugus
571 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
thanks for checking in and will be looking forward to your reports as the week goes on
if possible could post the daily papers on line when you get home. I know we are going to have a new C.D. also what are the movies now?
1,079 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
One tip from someone who just got off the Sapphire this morning - If you like live bands make sure you don't miss Indigo on the Sapphire. They made the Hawaii cruise for us. Just incredible.
pittsburgh, pa
21 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Also just got off the Sapphire this morning after 2week Hawaii cruise. Everything was fabulous !!! tV in room about 32 to 36"" I believe.

Indigo was great - all of the entertainment was good, service/staff phenomenal.

Alexander in Crooners shakes a mean martini ! cappuccino was $2.50
New MUTS screen great. Enjoy your cruise !!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

San Mateo, California
5,559 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We judy got off the Ruby last Sunday, my sister is on the same Sapphire cruise you are on. Hope you have a great trip. Nice to hear how it is going.
chatsworth, ca
2,451 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by Barbaretta
We are doing Califorina Coastal May 5th,hope to find reasonable trip to Nappa Wine country. Did customs hold your departure from the ship up. Barbaretta
Join our roll call........we are getting to be a pretty big group.

from the main cruise critic board go to prince roll call...then the sapphire roll call.....then you will find us!
Minnesota
5,890 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Originally posted by pocopoco11
Also just got off the Sapphire this morning after 2week Hawaii cruise. Everything was fabulous !!! tV in room about 32 to 36"" I believe.

Indigo was great - all of the entertainment was good, service/staff phenomenal.

Alexander in Crooners shakes a mean martini ! cappuccino was $2.50
New MUTS screen great. Enjoy your cruise !!!
Wow. TV's are bigger than I expected. Thanks.