Snow and the Pride

OT2Be2004

I'm not sure what you mean by "how they handle the snow". They do plow the parking lots the best they can with the debarking passengers cars there and once they have some room, they finish plowing. The ship might return late for your cruise, so make sure to hook up text alerts. However, the ship will still try to leave as close to "on-time" as possible.

If you're worried about winter weather (we escaped snowmageddon on a cruise a few years ago), leave a shovel and salt in your car.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

That's my worry. Will they leave on time? A few years ago we cruised and there was a hurricane. We sat for hours in the building bc we couldn't board the ship due to weather. I was wondering if they will postpone leaving until Monday or anything crazy like that!!

That's my worry. Will they leave on time? A few years ago we cruised and there was a hurricane. We sat for hours in the building bc we couldn't board the ship due to weather. I was wondering if they will postpone leaving until Monday or anything crazy like that!!

Why would you be worrying about them not leaving until Monday? Because of snow??? I'd worry more about where I'm buying my first DOD instead of snow for this weekend...

RCCL Grandeur left Baltimore on Jan 21, with snow on the decks.

They closed the decks & used some salt. They closed the decks so that they could clean the salt away.

The port authority used a snow plow - we watched some of the action while waiting to leave.

We packed our snow shovel in the car just in case, but by the time we returned most of the snow was gone. (There was ice in the bay, but the roads were dry.)

About a month or so ago John Heald posted on his blog pictures of a snow-laden Pride. It looked neat seeing the snow on the lido/sun decks but they appeared to have left on time. I think you'll be fine :) Enjoy your getaway!

~ Shelley

Carnival Pride 2.0 (upcoming) 6-21-15 Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Freeport

Carnival Pride 11-10-13 Port Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport

Edited by NatsFan15

About a month or so ago John Heald posted on his blog pictures of a snow-laden Pride. It looked neat seeing the snow on the lido/sun decks but they appeared to have left on time. I think you'll be fine :) Enjoy your getaway!

~ Shelley

Last post I swear ... Here are the pictures I referenced.

ImageUploadedByForums1391455684.506915.jpg.f2fa7d928ca0bb41953aa1c175281199.jpg

~ Shelley

ImageUploadedByForums1391455663.450705.jpg.dd64e4eee925743b92f815a63538a649.jpg

I asked John Heald that very question on FB this morning. This is what he said:

Please don't worry, it has been my experience in the last 26 years at sea to not worry too much about the weather as it changes so often the long term forecast always seem to be incorrect. We am very prepared for all weather conditions including snow and all you have to worry about is getting to the ship safely. Once on board you will be cocooned in a wonderful and fun atmosphere and everything will be running ready for you to give you the best of times. Please let me know if you have any other worries or concerns or need anything and I will be here for you. Have fun

I'm not so much worried about the port or the ship sailing. I'm a little worried about getting TO the port if it's really bad. MD isn't especially used to very large snows, and PA has been known to close roads to all but emergency vehicles...

I'm not so much worried about the port or the ship sailing. I'm a little worried about getting TO the port if it's really bad. MD isn't especially used to very large snows, and PA has been known to close roads to all but emergency vehicles...

As it gets closer if the weather forecast is still predicting heavy snow you could reserve a room at one of the park and cruise hotels, the price shouldn't be too much more then just parking at the port and you wouldn't have to worry about the drive as much because you would have a whole extra day to arrive.

As it gets closer if the weather forecast is still predicting heavy snow you could reserve a room at one of the park and cruise hotels, the price shouldn't be too much more then just parking at the port and you wouldn't have to worry about the drive as much because you would have a whole extra day to arrive.

That is what I will likely do, but my DH is a landlubber and won't be joining us. So, as things stand right now, he will just be dropping us off on Sunday. But I'll swim out to meet her if that's what it takes! I'm going on this cruise!

we're traveling from NJ to MD to go on the Pride in April and we'll be leaving Sunday morning. I heard between 3 and 30 inches this weekend. For the amount you're spending on the cruise, I wouldn't risk it and would spring for the hotel for the night. You could always wait till later in the week to see what they're saying. Your husband could still drive down with you Saturday and spend that night, then leave in the morning. It would be nice to break up the ride for him

we're traveling from NJ to MD to go on the Pride in April and we'll be leaving Sunday morning. I heard between 3 and 30 inches this weekend. For the amount you're spending on the cruise, I wouldn't risk it and would spring for the hotel for the night. You could always wait till later in the week to see what they're saying. Your husband could still drive down with you Saturday and spend that night, then leave in the morning. It would be nice to break up the ride for him

Or DH will be stuck in Baltimore waiting for them to handle the snow, and PA to open the roads. YOU will be on a cruise :D:D Just kidding. Hope for the best but go a day early if necessary. Wish I could get away from this snow too.

Happy Sails!!

Or DH will be stuck in Baltimore waiting for them to handle the snow, and PA to open the roads. YOU will be on a cruise :D:D Just kidding. Hope for the best but go a day early if necessary. Wish I could get away from this snow too.

Happy Sails!!

DH will need to get home to the poochies! If it's looking bad, we will get a room and take a cab if necessary. No way I'm missing it!

I heard between 3 and 30 inches this weekend. /QUOTE]

We were supposed to get 6-8 inches today and ended up with *maybe* 1/2 an inch and a load of rain.

We did nothing but talk about the Super Bowl yesterday, and today as me and all my other teacher friends were getting ready for work we got the no school call and it snowed all day. If I was planning on leaving here at 7 and being on a cruise by 1, like I am in April, I would have been screwed.

Edited by megann831

I just got off the Pride on Sunday and we just went slow on our way back in because there was lots of ice in the bay.. it was very neat to see. I took a lot of pictures. We were maybe 30 or so minutes late getting back into port because of the slower speeds they had to take.

iceinbay.jpg.efa9fd98ef4071f4199bb13ca3bb1c44.jpg

You are over worried! All of us here highly suggest a hotel the night before that offers a FREE shuttle to the port. The cruise port is off I-95, one of the most traveled interstates in the country. You are NOT in the back woods, so to speak. We sailed the Pride last week leaving over a foot of snow in Delaware, stayed in a hotel even though we live about an hour from the port, pretty much the same price as parking at the port. It was nice to start our vacation a day sooner..........the roads were clear, and we saw plenty of salt piles.

Have a great vacation, and chill!:D