Best Nassau souvenirs?

Southerngal410

Well, my favorite souvenir from Nassau is my beautiful conch shell but it's probably not a good gift for kids. :)

ry%3D480

Nassau isn't really a great place to buy souvenirs. There are a lot of shops along Bay Street and there is a straw market. But they close up pretty early (around 6 PM) and I saw on your other thread that you're thinking about having dinner at or around Atlantis. You could try Marina Village, which has a few shops. They will be open later.

The cruise terminal also has some booths. I'm not sure what time they close up. When we were there earlier this month, they were totally remodeling the terminal and all the booths were set up outside.

And there's always shopping on the ship! :)

Edited by CruisinCrow

It is hard to find things that are truly made in Nassau or even the Bahamas. Everything at that so called Straw Market is basically made in China, every booth selling the exact same items for basically the same price. Not what we were looking for at all. I'm sure there must be some shops that sell only things that are native to Nassau, that's what you should look for.

Cheers

Len

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The straw market is cheesy, but my 9 year old loved it. It's all cheap junk but I think everyone should see it at least once. He got one of those conch shells, a motorcycle made out of soda cans and some Moroccas for under $20.

I've never gone back because I hate vendors bugging me. But I'm glad I at least chechecked it out

following because I came on the bahamas board to ask the same question :) My girls are 4, 5, and 6 and they're staying with their grandparents while mom and dad cruise ALONE. So.... we plan on bringing them home something (not rum ;) ) Our ports are Nassau and Half Moon Cay, and we don't really want the overpriced giftshop on board, so I'm thinking a toy or musical instrument at the straw market? Is $5 per kid a decent price to expect? I know we'll have to haggle...

One more question- for adults that don't drink (our parents... not us ;) ), they're babysitting for a week so I'd like to bring them home something. Maybe a rum cake?? Or some chocolates from that chocolate factory... we're planning on going there and the rum distillery. My dad and stepmom went to Nassau back in October, so I was thinking something like a rum cake (consumable) would be good?

following because I came on the bahamas board to ask the same question :) My girls are 4, 5, and 6 and they're staying with their grandparents while mom and dad cruise ALONE. So.... we plan on bringing them home something (not rum ;) ) Our ports are Nassau and Half Moon Cay, and we don't really want the overpriced giftshop on board, so I'm thinking a toy or musical instrument at the straw market? Is $5 per kid a decent price to expect? I know we'll have to haggle...

I may be wrong on this, but for $5 you won't even get a T shirt. Maybe a magnet.

We wanted something for our grandchildren and what looks nice, like a small pocketbook or child's toy was almost $15 each. I'm sure they will have junk stuff for a few bucks, but again, it is all made in China and looks it.

Cheers

Len

One more question- for adults that don't drink (our parents... not us ;) ), they're babysitting for a week so I'd like to bring them home something. Maybe a rum cake?? Or some chocolates from that chocolate factory... we're planning on going there and the rum distillery. My dad and stepmom went to Nassau back in October, so I was thinking something like a rum cake (consumable) would be good?

Chocolate from Graycliffe would be a nice gift, if your parents like chocolate, since you aren't going to Switzerland (which has much better chocolate). :) Same for rum cake (I happen to like rum cake). I'm not sure they sell rum cakes at the distillery, but there are shops in town that do.

I believe you can also find teas and spices. (Personally, I'd prefer chocolate or rum cake. Or both. :p)

As noted above, a lot of the stuff in Nassau is cheesy junk.

Have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

As the others have said, Nassau sells junk(made in China). Nothing is authentic(my husband is from Kenya, so I look, but would never ever purchase this stuff.) You do not need a trained eye to see that they are selling junk. T-shirts are the most expensive that I have ever seen in any caribbean country!! We had some wonderful coconut tea(Bay Street) last year and then found a grocery store(side street, 1 block from the cruise terminal) and I purchased the same coconut tea for a fraction of the cost, as well as a 6 pack of ginger beer. Send your children a post card from Nassau and do not tell them that you sent one(you will be home before it arrives).

We found a stall selling $1 magnets/keychains, near cruise terminal that were $3 or more on Bay St. On the cruise ship, when there is a sale, you will probably find nicer items, along with the rum cake. Nassau rips off tourists(our server, from another Bahamian Island, at fish fry told us this). The staw market may not be cheaper than the stores(server told us this too) and she was absolutely correct.

Chocolate from Graycliffe would be a nice gift, if your parents like chocolate, since you aren't going to Switzerland (which has much better chocolate). :) Same for rum cake (I happen to like rum cake). I'm not sure they sell rum cakes at the distillery, but there are shops in town that do.

I believe you can also find teas and spices. (Personally, I'd prefer chocolate or rum cake. Or both. :p)

As noted above, a lot of the stuff in Nassau is cheesy junk.

Have a great cruise!

The chocolates from Graycliffe are very good, are packaged nicely and they even include a cold pack to keep them from melting as you are walking around. The rum distillery was a huge disappointment for us...not really anything to see other than the labeling room, but did get a good drink there, John Watlings Rum Dum, their signature drink made with egg whites. and the grounds are very nice for a relaxing break while imbibing. At the straw market nothing special, but if you buy just remember not to pay their first price, they will negotiate.....

At the straw market I bought toy "walking" turtles. They were made from a thin wood and painted with colorful designs. They had a string you pulled to make them move. IDK where they were made but they were very pretty and I've never seen them anywhere else. My grandsons had fun with them. Can't remember how much I paid but they were cheap $5-$8.

I'm a cigar smoker so the cigars at the Graycliffe are a great souvenir for someone like me!

We did buy some chinese made bamboo back scratchers that say "Nassau" on it four years ag and we use them all the time!

This made me smile. We probably have the same back scratcher, from Nassau, from Hawaii, from Florida, from London, from NYC, from Halifax. T

hose Chinese are great exporters. Just change the name of the locale and whoopee, a new souvenir for that place. :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We found a small shop off the main street where there were floor to ceiling beautiful hematite necklaces, (those shiny steel grey stones), with other beads incorporated along the strands. At the bottom were pendants in absolutely every shape imaginable, crosses, star fish, fleur di li's, sea horses, etc. It's the deal of the day I think, 5 necklaces for $20.00 and get one free. Made well with strong fish line or steel thread.

The shop is off the main street close to the Harley Davidson store down a little lane with a few other shops there as well. Also in that area were brightly colored woven slouchy handbags with wooden buttons. Got a Turquoise one last year and going for a Magenta one this trip. Happy shopping! :)

At the straw market I bought toy "walking" turtles. They were made from a thin wood and painted with colorful designs. They had a string you pulled to make them move. IDK where they were made but they were very pretty and I've never seen them anywhere else. My grandsons had fun with them. Can't remember how much I paid but they were cheap $5-$8.

I paid $3 for mine!