Red Hook to Manhattan Ferry

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:07 PM.
Hampshire, England
1,532 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Having found inspiration on these pages, and particularly from 'Post Captain'...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519678

...I have hopefully written a definitive guide on the NYC Ferry service between Red Hook and Pier 11, Manhattan on my cruise blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com...nsfers-update/

If any member does have any further advice or comment I am always happy to update the blog
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

2,914 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Thank you so much for that really helpfull post- I will try the ferry when I have my New York day before going back on board for the journey home. Is there a ticket counter in Red Hook or just machines?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oakland, CA USA
1,758 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Great news and update. I can see us using this ferry in the future. Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 109 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 34 Days
Crystal: 31 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
Princess: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days
Carnival: 3 Days
Goodtime II: 1 Day
Hampshire, England
1,532 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Germancruiser
Thank you so much for that really helpfull post- I will try the ferry when I have my New York day before going back on board for the journey home. Is there a ticket counter in Red Hook or just machines?

https://www.ferry.nyc/account/

WHERE TO BUY A TICKET

• Our App is available for download on your iPhone and Android phone. This is the fastest tap and go option.
  • Ticket Agent: If you don’t have access to the App or website, our Ticket Agents are more than happy to help with your order.
  • Ticket Vending Machine (Ticket Machine): Readily available at the landings.

• Website: Tickets purchased through the website can only be redeemed through our App, available for download in the App store.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

Philadelphia, PA
112 Posts
Joined May 2004
There is no agent in Brooklyn, only a ticket machine. There are agents at the Manhattan pier. Germancruiser- is the app not available if you connect to the app store via wifi?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app
Pennsylvania
5,642 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
The Android version of the app doesn't have good reviews, and for a foreign visitor I'd be concerned about whether it needs data access and how much data it requires. Luckily you can purchase tickets from the machine at the landing, or even after boarding.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Riding the Ocean Waves
1,314 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
You can also purchase tickets on board NYC Ferry major Credit cards or Cash and
All transfers within the NYC Ferry system are free and valid for 90 minutes once you start your one-way trip
2,914 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Thanks Frank- good to know. Oh yes I can download the app- that not a problem- problem is I can´t get online in the States! So I may use the machine or even on board!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Philadelphia, PA
112 Posts
Joined May 2004
Sorry. I thought most phones had a choice between the telecom network and wifi. And free wifi is pretty common over here. But it won't be a problem getting tickets, in any case.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app
Thames & Hudson
909 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Solent Richard ~

Good work on the blog! And thanks for the credit -- I'm glad to have been of help.

In late July I shot another video outside the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, this time showing the walk from the ferry landing to the terminal and back in "real time," as well as giving a brief look around the ferry landing itself. I've only just gotten around to posting it on YouTube, and have linked to it below. Not a professional production by any means, I'm afraid, but it might be of some use in showing others just how easy it is to use the ferry to travel between the cruise terminal and Manhattan.

Bon voyage, cheers, and many happy returns!

~ John (aka Post Captain)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcY8KcbUgN4&t=33s