What have MSC done to DIVINA's DECK PLANS

Skier52

what have they done??

The deck plans on the UK and USA (and presumeably others) web sites now have deck plans that only include decks with accommodation on them.

So the following decks are NOT INCLUDED:- 4; 6; 7; 14; 18

(NB deck 17 does not exist)

How do you know what may be above or below your cabin, unless, like me, you have a paper copy from your cruise on her?

divinadecks.jpg

See what I mean

POOR SHOW MSC !!!!!!!!!!!

Disgruntled Pete

Edited by Skier52

...just checked the deck plan for the Divina on THIS site,cruisecritic.

All the different decks seem to be there !

Thanks for that info BUT:-

Unfortunately the deck plans on this site are way out of date.

they have the old catagories 1-14 and YC1;YC2;YC3;

These were superceeded by I1- 3, OV1 - 2 and B1 - 3 plus YC 1 - 3;

Which of course have now been superceeded by Bella, Fantastica and Aurea catagories plus YC.

Here are the cabin catagories on cruisecritic 5 minutes ago

ccdeckplans.jpg

So they are not as good as they should be.

Just checked a couple of other MSC ships and they are way out of date too !!

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Maybe this site will help, as far as the deck plans only. It's a German site.

Use this link + pick the first result:

https://www.google.com/search?q=MSC+Divina+Deck+plan+on+full+screen&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Incidentally, do you know why there is no deck 17?

Yes,

when 17 is written in roman numerals it is XVII., an anagram of this is VIXI, the latin word which translates as "I have lived"; which can be thought of as "my life is over" or "I am dead". So 17 is considered unlucky.

Not only does Divina have no deck 17 there are no cabin numbers ending in 17; eg there is no cabin 10117.

This also applies to most of the MSC fleet, the exceptions being Armonia and Sinfonia as they were bought from another cruise line, Festival cruises, and not built for MSC, and so the cabins were already numbered.

Thanks for the link

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Yes,

when 17 is written in roman numerals it is XVII., an anagram of this is VIXI, the latin word which translates as "I have lived"; which can be thought of as "my life is over" or "I am dead". So 17 is considered unlucky.

Not only does Divina have no deck 17 there are no cabin numbers ending in 17; eg there is no cabin 10117.

This also applies to most of the MSC fleet, the exceptions being Armonia and Sinfonia as they were bought from another cruise line, Festival cruises, and not built for MSC, and so the cabins were already numbered.

Thanks for the link

Pete

It is the same throughout most of Italy, there is no floor 17 in most hotels and hi-rise buildings.

This is very much like the number 13 here in the US - many buildings omit this number when numbering the floors. Sometimes hotels will still have a 13th floor but it will be used for maintenance or other hotels functions and not for rooms. And other times they will number the floor as 12A instead of 13.

Sounded like you were interested in what public spaces were above & below the different cabins....not what catagory they were.

Exactly right.

Newcomers to MSC may not realise the major problem that deck 14 causes for deck 13 and 12 and to a lesser extent 11 because of the massive overhang. Likewise it is impossible to tell which cabins on deck 13 are below the quiet spa and which are below the noisy water park area. And the lower decks have problems as well. I bet many people expect there to be an MDR on the stern of deck 7 and not a night club, so people booking a cabin on the rear hump on deck 8 will get a rude awakening , quite literally.

So you ge the gist of the problems I am predicting.

Incidentally the other three ships in this class all have deck plans showing ALL the decks.

Pete

It is the same throughout most of Italy, there is no floor 17 in most hotels and hi-rise buildings.

This is very much like the number 13 here in the US - many buildings omit this number when numbering the floors. Sometimes hotels will still have a 13th floor but it will be used for maintenance or other hotels functions and not for rooms. And other times they will number the floor as 12A instead of 13.

P & O's Azura and Ventura, and probably their other ships as well, have no deck 13, I suspect a lot of other ships are treated in the same way, to cope with the English speaking countries superstitions.

Just checked a couple of carnival ships. And yes , NO deck 13.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

• 2 months later...

Hello pete,

I noticed that everyone was referring to you for info, so I decided to do so as well. Lol. Can I please ask about room 8130 they told me that the life boats are under us which may be a disadvantage. Also, do u think the balcony is too small because its a B1 category?

Hello pete,

I noticed that everyone was referring to you for info, so I decided to do so as well. Lol. Can I please ask about room 8130 they told me that the life boats are under us which may be a disadvantage. Also, do u think the balcony is too small because its a B1 category?

The cabin is 192 sq ft and the balcony is 42 sq ft , which is the standard size . Only a few cabins, those cabins which are rearmost on the central hump and the stern cabins on deck 13, have smaller balconies.So the balcony cannot be considered as Too small.

It is now catagorised as a "Bella" Balcony cabin, the B1 terminology has dropped in favour of the "Experiences"

The lifeboats are not under the balcony, but rather the top of the lifeboat is level with the top of the handrails and glass panels of the balcony. The davits are higher than the balcony

here is an image from Cruisetrails selection of images

4_zps8c88fd54.jpg

Hop this fully answers your questions

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Britannia does not show Deck 19 on the P and O deck plans!

Strange that MSC should omit 4 decks ! There are no passengers cabins below deck 5.

Cruisedeckplans.com shows Deck 5 to 18 with the missing 17 of course.

I wonder if it may have something to do with the October DryDock and the changes they will be making ?

Edited by sidari

I bet many people expect there to be an MDR on the stern of deck 7 and not a night club, so people booking a cabin on the rear hump on deck 8 will get a rude awakening , quite literally.

Yes, it was a concern to us prior to sailing. But luckily, even we stayed in an aft balcony, we were not disturbed at all.