Have Anyone Book with Bernard's Tour Before?

danny8826

I have read mix reviews on Tripadvisor about the Bernard's Tour and wanted to know if anyone has any experiences with this company.

Would you mind sharing your experience and if it's worth it to book with this company.

Thank you.

Danny

We also did a tour with Bernard's several years ago and enjoyed it very much. As I recall, we visited a variety of places and they were very accommodating about dropping us off downtown at the end of the tour to do some shopping on the way back to the pier area.

Did one of their tours back into 2012 and going with them again in Dec. Had a great time with the Mailman as our tour guide. Visited Orient beach, Maho and a bunch of other stops. Rum punch and other drinks were available all day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used them 2012 and loved touring both the French and Dutch sides of the islands. Saw places

I'm sure we wouldn't have otherwise. We are already booked to use them again next March!! Can't wait so book with them they are great!! Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We used them 2012 and loved touring both the French and Dutch sides of the islands. Saw places

I'm sure we wouldn't have otherwise.

Like where???

We used them in March. So disappointed.

The tour was longer than what we had booked, first off. The driver lectured in a yelling tone rather than a normal speaking tone.

The iguana "farm" is an outdoor carpet set on the side of the road where they put lettuce out. It had rained so the iguanas were refusing that, and were sitting on the bushes, ignoring the people pretending that they had anything to do with the iguanas being there.

We stopped at some lookout spot with a guy manhandling sea creatures, breaking off the spines of an urchin while putting the poor thing in peoples' hands. It was awful for me and DS, both of us animal lovers (and who wanted the living sea creatures to be put back into the sea).

Orient Beach could have been gotten to and enjoyed more if we had just taken a taxi or rental car.

Maho was NOT our reason for going, and it just dragged. He didn't time it for any of the big planes, and it was just a "drink and watch" place. Only good thing was that the bar had some decent bathrooms.

Sarafina's? Bleah. Pretty, bland, tasteless pastries. They didn't give us the bread I bought, and refused eye contact for me to ask for it. Only option was making a scene or getting back into a very long line, and we didn't have time for the latter and I wasn't interested in the former.

It was just a total dud of a tour, which was such a bummer b/c I'd been looking forward to it for TWO YEARS.

Like where???

We used them in March. So disappointed.

The tour was longer than what we had booked, first off. The driver lectured in a yelling tone rather than a normal speaking tone.

The iguana "farm" is an outdoor carpet set on the side of the road where they put lettuce out. It had rained so the iguanas were refusing that, and were sitting on the bushes, ignoring the people pretending that they had anything to do with the iguanas being there.

We stopped at some lookout spot with a guy manhandling sea creatures, breaking off the spines of an urchin while putting the poor thing in peoples' hands. It was awful for me and DS, both of us animal lovers (and who wanted the living sea creatures to be put back into the sea).

Orient Beach could have been gotten to and enjoyed more if we had just taken a taxi or rental car.

Maho was NOT our reason for going, and it just dragged. He didn't time it for any of the big planes, and it was just a "drink and watch" place. Only good thing was that the bar had some decent bathrooms.

Sarafina's? Bleah. Pretty, bland, tasteless pastries. They didn't give us the bread I bought, and refused eye contact for me to ask for it. Only option was making a scene or getting back into a very long line, and we didn't have time for the latter and I wasn't interested in the former.

It was just a total dud of a tour, which was such a bummer b/c I'd been looking forward to it for TWO YEARS.

Well we did all of those places and didn't dislike any of them.

Driver didn't yell and the punch was good yay for that.

Iguana farm is what it is I wasn't expecting spectacular as they are lizards but we did get to hold one still gives me the heebie jeevies:)

Also stopped to look at the sea creatures star fish was huge and beautiful and our friend held an urchin, we passed but they were beautiful for sure. I can see your point of mishandling but we didn't see that happening. No breakage.

Orient was nice and not overly busy so we enjoyed it as well. Little nervous taking younger boys at the time but all was good. I think we had asked to stay there longer and shorten our time in the city or drop a couple of stops. We don't really shop!!

I'm thinking Maho is always a timing thing we didn't see the huge planes but still saw a few and it was amazing. It's not the prettiest area to drive around I remember lots of construction and thankful I wasn't the driver lol but the beach background was beautiful for sure. That is actually a must go back for us as I want to recapture a pic of our boys on that beach it's always been a fave of ours but that's a personal thing. Hope those rocks are still there so I can recapture them now.

2f974e495b48c3d641262d5d11cc5bf2.jpg

We did the bakery I don't remember a thing I got. I'm thinking someone in our group got chocolate croissants. I read about it on TripAdvisor and that drew us there. We tried cane sugar juice also while in the area. Not for us for sure but when would I have the opportunity to try it again?

Our main goal was to collect some currency from each side and we did that.

We enjoyed being all over the place and seeing different areas. My boys didn't complain (13 & 9 at the time) so that made it worth while also and they said they would do the tour again and we plan to. They don't know that yet as our next cruise is a Christmas surprise gift for a spring break cruise with lots of friends!!

Sorry your experience wasn't as positive as ours but there is something for everyone and I hope you find that should you return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We used Bernard's in May of this year and enjoyed our day a great deal. We're all the stops our favorites? No. But the guide was great, the drinks were great, and we enjoyed this stop on St Maarten far more than our previous one. I felt as though I learned more about the island.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did Bernard's tour and it was great! I thought Calvin who does the sea animal demonstration was wonderful. He really educates people on these animals and in the grand scheme of things he is spreading his love and respect for these creatures.

YES! Bernard is THE BEST!! We have toured with him four times and ALWAYS have an amazing, and different, experience!! We just returned last week from a visit there. There were 7 in our group and another group of 3 was with us. They ended up leaving the group, as they didn't realize they signed up for a tour that included beaches (whaaaaat???) and so we basically had the tour guide to ourself. It was a GREAT day and I HIGHLY recommend Bernard to everyone I know visiting St. Maarten!!! Mine is one of the most recent reviews on Trip Advisor ~ Feel free to ask any questions.

I would like to do Bernards tour.. but don't laugh everyone... I am TERRIFIED of Iguanas.. how close are they to you?? Is the bus parked away from them, and people get off and look at them... my family thinks this sound like a wonderful way to spend the day.. me not so much.. Its like Fear Factor to me! but if I can sit in a locked bus that is iguana proof.. LOL.. I will be happy to take the gang... yay or nay to the tour!!!

I would like to do Bernards tour.. but don't laugh everyone... I am TERRIFIED of Iguanas.. how close are they to you?? Is the bus parked away from them, and people get off and look at them... my family thinks this sound like a wonderful way to spend the day.. me not so much.. Its like Fear Factor to me! but if I can sit in a locked bus that is iguana proof.. LOL.. I will be happy to take the gang... yay or nay to the tour!!!

Iguanas are a short walk from the parking area. If you do make it to see them they will not bother you at all. The guide will pick one up and let you feel or take photos with it but only if you want to.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Hahaha ~ Too funny!!! Do not worry about the iguanas! Seriously!!! They pull the bus over to the side of the ride where a guy is standing with about 20'ish iguanas. He has lettuce, if you want to feed them. If not, you just stand back and watch. They are SUPER tame!! I thought I would be a little freaked but I actually fed them too. It was kinda cool!!

Thank everyone... the odds of me making it to "see them" or just "standing back and watching" is NOT an options!! lol.... I will hide in the bus and shake.. I already has a bad dream about iguanas last night.. please don't say they are more frightened of me that I am of them... that would be impossible.. but thx for your input.

The iguana segment is very short and you don't need to participate. They are harmless, but you can stay on the bus. I don't think we were there longer than 15 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...