Noro on regatta now?

RJB

I'm on Regatta now. they told us there was flu and gastro on the previous segment out of Buenos Aires, but since new passengers boarded in Lima the flu has ended and we have eight gastro cases. they have never used the word Noro, only gastro problems. There was no official update yesterday that I heard, and nothing so far today. Guest laundry, library and putting green closed. I would not use the hot tubs, but some are. paper menus, no table cloths in Terrace, no exchanging of answer sheets at Trivia and Big O points handled digitally. Will Advise if and when restrictions are lifted.

NORO is on every ship. It is only mandatory to be made public when 2% of cruisers are affected.I think lines lie and call it the flu because NORO is such a terrible virus.Can be very painful with no cure except time. I had it.

Great, we board on the 14th, I think when this current cruise is over. The last O cruise I was on was the Marina and we came from Valparaiso and went through the same thing. Hope they do a deep cleaning in Miami.

seems a lot of cuisers get sick when coming from Lima

After a month cruise last Nov. Lima to BA, I believe it all comes down to some very unsanitary conditions in ports of call vs: the ship.

When we travel, I enjoy the cuisine in many countries, however, this cruise I rarely would sample anything beyond the ship. Common sense prevails.

We truly enjoyed this cruise, but seeing and understanding the potential for gastro type illnesses we left on a very happy note. Very happy to enjoy the cuisine onboard and the penguins :)

seems a lot of cuisers get sick when coming from Lima

Yup....ever been to Lima??????.....the ride into town should give you a real insight !!!!!...

;p as many So American ports Valparaiso come to mind

As for NORO in LA this week they had 2 schools shut with a big ourtbreak of Noro... its not exclusive to ships or a specific demographic/age/gender or race.

I don't think Lima is the Culprit. Lima is an intermediate port for many ships coming down from North America or up from Valparaiso ( and previously BA) We have been on two cruises in the last three years where Lima was on our itinerary. The first on the Infinity, coming up from a BA>Valparaiso route, was really infected bad with Noro. The BA>Valparaiso segment was the worst. Last year we ended our Tahiti >Lima voyage(on the Marina) with no Noro and the follow on segment to NYC was also clear. according to our friends

Yes the Port of Callao is grungy, but LIma is a modern city with chlorinated water, very modern medical facilities, not a hell hole.

Me thinks the BA Valparaiso segment incubates many bugs. I have heard and read stories about many Noro cases during these cruise segments.

Interesting you mention Infinity as it is currently in that region, and has the same issues. Just my luck I'm going on it in May. I'm going to have to start paying attention where ships have been the cruise or so before making a booking apparently.

Interesting you mention Infinity as it is currently in that region, and has the same issues. Just my luck I'm going on it in May. I'm going to have to start paying attention where ships have been the cruise or so before making a booking apparently.

By May I would think it would clear out. I wouldnt stop booking, just bring your anti Noro kit. In our case it's antibiotics, gastro calming Rx and germophobe practices.

It's now Day 6 here on Regatta and we are still under Code Red, stage two. No official numbers published but a crew member told me there is a dramatic drop-off in the number of new cases. Captain's Reception was postponed but will take place tonight, a good sign. On a lighter note, Matchu Pichu has been renamed "Mucho PooPoo" by our cruise director. ;p

Trying to figure out issues here with Oceania. We are getting ready to book next year for 21 day South America. Have not heard anything about other cruise ships having similar issues.( in particular Princess).

Can demographics be playing a. Issue? Older persons have less experience with public bathrooms​ and washing hands after handling anything in a public area. Don't flame me for this comment but we have noticed this on several cruises.

Wash your hands after everything!

Anyway, this is all about onboard NOT about Lima or Rio or Buenos Aires. This is Bout on the ship.

Happy Cruising

Trying to figure out issues here with Oceania. We are getting ready to book next year for 21 day South America. Have not heard anything about other cruise ships having similar issues.( in particular Princess).

Can demographics be playing a. Issue?

Happy Cruising

According to the CDC 22 passengers have been affected on that cruise & 1 crew member

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2017/april14_regatta.html

Many factors can contribute to NORO

we had it in the local schools here before Christmas

The ship does not get it people get it & spread it about the ship

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2016

Can demographics be playing a. Issue? Older persons have less experience with public bathrooms​ and washing hands after handling anything in a public area. Don't flame me for this comment but we have noticed this on several cruises.

Wash your hands after everything!

Anyway, this is all about onboard NOT about Lima or Rio or Buenos Aires. This is Bout on the ship.

Happy Cruising

Princess in the only other ship on the CDC list for 2017, not sure where that ship is though. I don't completely agree with your assessment. Please don't think these elderly folk on Oceania are nursing home rejects. Have you been on Oceania? Most of the folks are experience cruisers and know what they're doing.

According to the CDC 22 passengers have been affected on that cruise & 1 crew member

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2017/april14_regatta.html

Many factors can contribute to NORO

we had it in the local schools here before Christmas

The ship does not get it people get it & spread it about the ship

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2016

That link is showing dates in 2016, which I think is a typo as the link comes from the 2017 reportings.

The link I posted was for 2016 for comparison to this season

you can however scroll up/down for other years

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2017

Yes, and if you click on that link it takes you to two entries, one for Oceania, and one for Princess. The Oceania one is for the current Regatta trip, but it says 2016 when you click on the link.

The only reported Oceania ships in 2016 was Riviera. I stand by my first post.