Inside the Carnival Ships That Made Cruising History

I stumbled on this article from USA Today while reading an article about Arnold Donald and thought y'all may enjoy. It's got a great 77 pic slideshow of Carnival's first three ships.

http://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/cruises/2014/09/15/cruise-ship-tour-the-early-icons-of-the-carnival-fleet/13892623/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stumbled on this article from USA Today while reading an article about Arnold Donald and thought y'all may enjoy. It's got a great 77 pic slideshow of Carnival's first three ships.

http://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/cruises/2014/09/15/cruise-ship-tour-the-early-icons-of-the-carnival-fleet/13892623/

Thanks for that! Was on the Carnivale in 83!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You're welcome. I wish I could say the same. I didn't start cruising until 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, she was a tub then. I was only 12 years old and still had a great time, though. She was nothing like the newer ships--in both good and bad ways. I remember when we were in St Thomas on that cruise, we were docked just behind RCCL's brand-new (at the time) Song of America. So many people were jealous that they weren't sailing her instead. Song of America looked HUGE next to the Carnivale, even though she was (only) 37,000 tons, but was the largest new ship built at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just adding my thanks with the others. That was really fascinating thank you so much for sharing.

Now I also understand why I don't see much wood on ships any longer it does make sense as it's a fire hazard but I boys could've missed it.

I guess a throwback to what we used to see on television the Titanic etc.

Thanks again, Lydia of Ohio

My 1st cruise was on the Festivale in the late 80's. What a wonderful time we had, 4 girls in an inside cabin that was probably 8 by 8 but we managed. I remember our total bar bill for the week was $600 and we were shocked~ probably would be 4 times that amount now. LOL. Great memories.

Will check this out, but still find it odd that the ONLY Carnival ship that actually made history was killed and morphed into another ship.

main 110 I think it was

I think my bathroom in my house was bigger than that cabin.

remember the "good ole days" actual keys to open the doors on the cabins? step over thresholds? you'd trip everytime you'd walk into a cabin...

and when you turned the lights out, there was ZERO ambient light! like living in a cavern:eek:

after that first carnival cruise ( we'd done two NCL at that time ) I didn't know when would ever try carnival again, but finally we did a 4 day cruise on the fascination and we've now been on 17 carnival cruises out of our 30 total....:)