Week of February 20: Cruise Ship Driver's License

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Community Contests

Weekly Contest

Have fun with weekly contests.  Win cool Cruise Critic prizes.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:20 AM.
Ewing, NJ
2,508 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Today my daughter turns 17 - which in New Jersey means drivers' license test day. It is bitter sweet when your first born goes from driving a Barbie Jeep to a real car so I am trying to find some humor in life today. Something to keep me smiling

For the driver's road test you have to show that you have mastered the different driving skills like k-turns, parallel parking, and knowing when to use your turn signal. So I have been sitting here imagining what a Cruise Ship license "Road Test" would encompass and am being silly and laughing my bum off! Can you imagine "Okay Captain Smith it;s time to make your K-turn into that tiny turn about basin in Port Canaveral"

So be silly we me What every day cruise ship "driving feat" would you add to the test?

I have two that seem like miracles to me --- Port of Miami when there are at least 3-4 ships "parallel" parked and buddy in the middle of the line is first up to leave. Seeing a ship maneuver getting out of that tightly packed in parking spot always made me nervous and amazed all at once.

The other was when we were on Divina and were told we could port in Tortola instead or tendering. There were some fancy moves done to get that big ship up onto that tiny dock. Some interesting noises too

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. Thanks for understanding
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jenn
Senior Community Support
Contact Us

Submit your cruise review with photos for a chance to win Cruise Critic Logo gear. A prize is awarded weekly.
New York
5,801 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by CC Help Jenn
Today my daughter turns 17 - which in New Jersey means drivers' license test day. It is bitter sweet when your first born goes from driving a Barbie Jeep to a real car so I am trying to find some humor in life today. Something to keep me smiling

For the driver's road test you have to show that you have mastered the different driving skills like k-turns, parallel parking, and knowing when to use your turn signal. So I have been sitting here imagining what a Cruise Ship license "Road Test" would encompass and am being silly and laughing my bum off! Can you imagine "Okay Captain Smith it;s time to make your K-turn into that tiny turn about basin in Port Canaveral"

So be silly we me What every day cruise ship "driving feat" would you add to the test?

I have two that seem like miracles to me --- Port of Miami when there are at least 3-4 ships "parallel" parked and buddy in the middle of the line is first up to leave. Seeing a ship maneuver getting out of that tightly packed in parking spot always made me nervous and amazed all at once.

The other was when we were on Divina and were told we could port in Tortola instead or tendering. There were some fancy moves done to get that big ship up onto that tiny dock. Some interesting noises too

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. Thanks for understanding

Getting in and out of the NY ports isn't a piece of cake either! Lots of other boat traffic (Staten Island Ferry, sightseeing boats, kyakas, sailboats, etc.) and cruise ships especially on the weekends. Then add in the weather and the tides and it becomes a real challenge.

MARAPRINCE
Whiteland, indiana
28 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Oh the angst of your baby driving on their own....best of luck to you. As for a driving test for cruise ships, I would say being able to manage smooth sailing with choppy seas...it's going to happen but can they minimize the impact on the passengers and crew?? Our cruise last August met up with some rough seas but they managed to maneuver through it in such a way we felt just a gentle sway👏
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

IL
902 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
I guess I am interested in stabilization more than steering the ship since I am prone to motion sickness. I am sure I wouldn't be a very good captain because of that reason
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Diamond +

CANADA
1,394 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
I think Hubbard Glacier should be added to the test.
I couldn't believe how we made it around all those corners on our Alaska Cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruised
NCL Hawaii 2005
Carnival Western Caribean 2006
Disney Bahamas 2008
Princess L.A. to Van. 2008
Celebrity Panama Canal 2009
Princess Van to Ketchekan 2009
RCL Mexican Riviera 2010!
Carnival Spirit Mexican Riviera 2011
Celebrity Equinox Eastern/Southern Caribean 2012!
Emerald Princess Eastern Caribean 2012/13
Golden Princess 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Equinox 2014
Celebrity Solstice 2017 Hawaii

108 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
I think the test should include a driving course which instead of orange cones to maneuver, the captain must manage his way around the big orange buoys attached to crab pots

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
NYC when working, anywhere else when not! :-)
1,609 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Perhaps in the MDR not having people cruise ahead of the line in lieu of waiting their turn
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer of the Seas , March 31, 2013
Explorer of the Seas, June 19, 2014

Remember the 343

RCL MEET & MINGLE look up and sign up here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcall...ise_line_id=32
New Jersey
319 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
As I just read the OP's words I smiled. Remembering getting my DL, failing the first road test. Then thinking what to add to the cruise road test...I took an emergency vehicle driving course where I had to back down an alley in a fire truck using mirrors only. So back a cruise ship down a canal using mirrors only no spotters...Lol😱😓

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailing the Open Seas with My Wonderful Wife

2/12/2017 NCL Breakaway
7/10/2016 NCL Breakaway
2/20/2016 Carnival Pride
1/21/2015 NCL Gem
1/9/2013 NCL Gem
1/7/2012 NCL Jewel
1/3/2011 RCCL Radiance Of The Seas

10/12/2008 NCL Dawn
5/17/2008 RCCL Explorer Of The Seas

5/12/2007 NCL Dawn
4/29/2006 Celebrity Zenith
7/8/2005 Carnival Legend

10/31/2004 NCL Dawn
Salinas, CA
132 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Choose a portion of the Inside Passage in Alaska. I love watching the pilot boat arrive with the guy that can safely maneuver the ship through the narrow passage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Detroit MI
15 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by CC Help Jenn

In the cruise ship driving test, they should make the captains dock the boat blindfolded while having his crew direct him by instructions.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Daryn

02/2017 Celebrity Reflection - Western Caribbean

01/2011 Celebrity Eclipse - Eastern Caribbean

04/2004 Celebrity Millennium - Eastern Caribbean

03/1996 RC Majesty of the Seas - Western Caribbean

04/1994 Carnival Fantasy - Eastern Caribbean
Phila suburbs
97 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
A cruise ship 'driving' test would include maneuvering the ship around piers, docks, other ships.. rocks all while txting on their cellphone and or waving to "their girlfriends" on shore.

I fondly remember when I rec'd my DL... I thought that my dad was going to argue with the state trooper why I shouldn't have passed. I told Dad that the trooper liked my mom's yr old car a '67 Mustang and said that I 'handled it well'. Dear dad got me a slow older but cute Fiat to drive .

'Hope your daighter did/does well!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ginny K S
delaware
1,268 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
I think they should have to do what we saw last month. we were in cozumel and there were 9 ships including allure. It was not to bad coming in because they had staggered entry times. but due to a traffic accident on the island alot of the tours did not make it back on time, all 9 ships were waiting for passengers. Since the passengers all arrived at the same time the ships all left at the same time. It was a sight to see, No matter what way you looked from your deck there were ships. It looked like a mass exodus. That was my 13th cruise and I have never seen anything like it. It was as the sun was setting so the back ground was amazing too. All thye ships were all lit up. You know it took some great driving to not hit any ships with that many moving out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11/17/2007 carnival triumph
06/06/2010 carnival valor
04-23-2011 Oasis of the Seas ds 16th bday
11/15/2012 thanksgiving on explorer of the seas
01/03/2014 Granduer of the seas
01/31/2014 Granduer of the seas
05/28/2014 carnival splendor
05/24/2015 carnival splendor
06/01/2015 back to back carnival splendor
01/17/16 carnival pride journeys cruise
05/15/16 Allure of the seas son's 21th birthday
12/11/16 Allure of the seas
01/02/17 Carnival Pride Journeys cruise
My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 04/30/2017 aboard the Carnival Breeze! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.
My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Caribbean on 01/07/2018 aboard the Carnival Pride! Visit Carnival.com to see all Caribbean cruises.
Fredericksburg, Va
740 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
The Captain should be able to maneuver a mega-ship near dock without destroying the dock or the small boats docked. (This recently happened in the past year, cruise line to remain nameless!) Best wishes with your daughter!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rodney & MaryJune

Carnival Celebration - Eastern Caribbean -1995
Celebrity Century - Eastern Caribbean - 1998
Princess Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean -2000
Royal Caribbeans Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 2003
Princess Caribbean Princess - Western Caribbean - 2004
Royal Caribbeans Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas - 2006
Princess Diamond Princess - Alaska - 2006
Costa Magica - Western Caribbean - 2007
Costa Fortuna - Eastern Caribbean - 2008
Princess Crown Princess -Southern Caribbean - 2012
Princess Crown Princess - Western Europe Passage -Transatlantic - 2013

Princess Caribbean Princess - Western Caribbean - 2015
Princess Crown Princess - Western Europe Passage - Transatlantic-2017
Princess Regal Princess - Canadian Atlantic Provinces Getaway - October 2018
Bothell, WA
110 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Getting the ship through the Panama Canal locks would be a great test. We have been through them twice and it still amazes me how little room there was on each side!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pat and Tom

AMA Waterways AMA Prima, June 2017, Rhine River
RCL Independence of the Seas, Mar 2016, Caribbean
Royal Princess Sept 2015, Europe
NCL Getaway Oct 2014, Caribbean
HAL Amsterdam May 2014, Alaska
NCL Jewel Sept 2013, Panama Canal
RCL Radiance Sept. 2012, Hawaii
NCL Star Sept 2011, Alaska
Carnival Splendor Oct 2009, Mexico
NCL Pearl April 2008, Panama Canal
NCL Dawn Sept 2006, NY & Canada/New England
HAL Oosterdam Sept 2004, Alaska
NCL Sky Sept 2002, Alaska
Virginia
3,968 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Practice docking at a port on a windy day with out destroying the pier or damaging the ship. Best I could come up with. We were on Glory in 2010 and our final port on our cruise was Grand Turk. This was a new port for us and one that I was really looking forward to. Since we were docking at 11AM, we'd gone headed down around then to get off the ship but for some reason it was taking forever. After waiting for about a half hour, there was finally an announcement from the CD that we were just waiting to clear customs and then they'd start the debarkation process. The CD also added in that announcement for everyone to give a hand to our Captain a round of applause because we came very close to missing port. The CD explained that the first two attempts to get the ship docked weren't successful but the captain managed to get her docked on the third attempt. The CD said they will normally try three times and if they can't get the ship docked on that third try, they miss port. Now I don't know if the "three attempts" are normal or not, but that's what our CD announced to us that morning. The weather conditions were windy and the water a little choppy that day but fortunately as the day went on, it finally cleared up about 2 hours before we left, so we were finally able to see just how beautiful the water in Grand Turk is.

Good luck to your daughter and to you. I know that's hard/bittersweet for parents as driving is a giant step to independence and the worrying every time they are out. I don't have kids but I do have a niece and nephews, many of our friends have kids at the starting to drive age, AND I was a kid too and I know my mom worried.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - September 20 - 27, 2015 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); LIBERTY 2015 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573
CARNIVAL LIBERTY - April 5 - 12, 2014 (Western Caribbean: Miami, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman...missed port, Miami); LIBERTY 2014 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039919
CARNIVAL VALOR - May 5 - 12, 2013 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); VALOR 2013 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645
CARNIVAL GLORY - May 9 - 16, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean: Miami, HMC Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Miami)
CARNIVAL MIRACLE - March 12 - 19, 2006 (Western Caribbean: Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Tampa)
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas - January 16 - 23, 2000 (Mexican Riviera: Los Angeles, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Los Angeles)
CARNIVAL FESTIVALE - June 14 - 21, 1992 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Martinique, San Juan)

161 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
I feel for you. Our daughter gets her learner's permit in May. I don't think the streets are ready, lol. Best wishes for all of you!

I think any sort of obstacle course/navigation test; high speed, low speed, forwards and reverse, blindfolded and guided, avoiding seen and surprise obstacles and difficult passes (narrow or shallow passages, etc), and then parking in difficult circumstances. Fun things.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature