Best way to get to Bygdoy in Oslo?

I'm finalizing our plans for Oslo and we intend to head to Bygdoy first thing in the morning to tour the museums. I know that we can either take Bus #30 or Ferry #91 to get there, and I keep reading that the bus is preferable but I have not read why?

Does the bus start running earlier than the ferry. Is it a faster route?

I know that coming back from Bygdoy we should take the ferry, but why not take it both ways? :confused:

We were just in Oslo (4th visit) and took the ferry both ways. We simply walked from our pier to the ferry pier (about a 15 min walk) and grabbed the next ferry. Keep in mind that you will need Kroner for the ferry since they do not take credit cards (on the ferry) and the automatic ticket vending machine (located near the ferry pier) is usually out of order. One advantage to using the bus is that it will get you closer to some of the sites on Bygdoy then the ferry. However, everything is walkable and we really enjoy walking from the pier to the various museums. I should add that there are actually two ferry stops on Bygdoy and the stop you use would be dependent on which site (or walking route) you plan. The staff on the ferry will give you plenty of help if you need some advice.

Hank

and bus stop right in front of all museums,,no hassle with ferry ,,took credit card,,,saw all I wanted to see,,,all day,,for $35...no hassle,no walking,or getting lost,,,use them all the time...we were there from 9am till 10 pm...took whole city tour,,,saw museums,,then went back to ship for lunch and rest,,did rest in pm...bus right in front of port pier...;)

If you're going with public transit, I would also recommend the ferry. I'm not sure why people were suggesting the bus, but I definitely prefer the ferry -- especially from the area around the central cruise piers.

A few advantages to the city bus would be that it stops right outside the Folk Museum and Viking Ships, which saves you a 5-10 minute walk from the Dronningen ferry pier (the Kon-Tiki and Fram museums are right at the Bygdøy ferry stop). And I don't think the ferry runs in the winter.

I would, however, recommend taking the bus #30 from the Folk Museum/Viking Ships to the Kon-Tiki/Fram if you're planning to visit both areas. Walking back to the ferry pier would take a lot longer, and the ferry only comes every 15 minutes while the bus comes every 10 minutes or less and doesn't have to bother as much with embarking/disembarking. You can walk that route if you're buying tickets as you go and want to save money, but it takes a while and is mostly along busy roads (for Oslo).

So I agree with the previous comments. Take the ferry! ;)

Is the Maritime Museum worth a visit?

No. :) Unless you reeeeeeeally like ships.

Actually, there is a very nice panoramic film of the Norwegian coast which is rather nice! Other than that, it's a lot of boats and models of ships (everything from ancient sailing ships to modern cargo vessels).

I'm finalizing our plans for Oslo and we intend to head to Bygdoy first thing in the morning to tour the museums. I know that we can either take Bus #30 or Ferry #91 to get there, and I keep reading that the bus is preferable but I have not read why?

I'd say it depends on what you want to see!

We usually buy a day ticket (24-timersbillett which currently costs 70 kroner) or even a 24-hour Oslo pass (230 kroner but includes all museums on Bygdøy) and take the bus to get to Bygdøy as the bus stops right in front of the Museum of Cultural History (Folkemuseum) which I love, especially in good weather.

We then walk from there to the Viking Ship Museum, which is right arount the corner.

From there we take the bus to the rest of the Bygdøy museums, visit the Kon-Tiki and Fram Museum and skip the Maritime Museum (I have now done that three times and... well... the movie is nice but other than that I think I have seen it all).

After visiting the Fram we then take the ferry back to the city.

If you are not interested in the Museum of Cultural History (which is worth a visit!) or the Viking Ships (which are nice to look at... once), I'd go for the ferry.

I have now done that Bygdøy tour at least six (no, make that seven) times and still enjoy it a lot. You could of course do it the other way round (take the ferry, visit Kon-Tiki/Fram and then take the bus to Viking Ships and Folkemuseum) but I always enjoyed to boat ride in the end a lot.

We usually buy a day ticket (24-timersbillett which currently costs 70 kroner) or even a 24-hour Oslo pass (230 kroner but includes all museums on Bygdøy) and take the bus to get to Bygdøy as the bus stops right in front of the Museum of Cultural History (Folkemuseum) which I love, especially in good weather.

Out of curiosity, what do you see as the advantage to taking the bus? While it's a nice little trip through Frogner, I've never really felt it was particularly exciting. And since it's an extra walk up to Nationaltheatret, I usually suggest that cruise visitors just take the ferry since they're already so close to Rådhusbrygga. I'm eager to amend my usual recommendation if I've overlooked something! :)

Hlitner, please could you tell me if it is a pleasant walk to go down to Huk Beach ? We intend to visit one of the museums (probably the Fram) and would then like to just enjoy some scenery before heading back to the City.

Many Thanks

Hlitner, please could you tell me if it is a pleasant walk to go down to Huk Beach ? We intend to visit one of the museums (probably the Fram) and would then like to just enjoy some scenery before heading back to the City.

Many Thanks

We have never walked down to Huk Beach but I guess if it's a nice day and you like long walks it would work. Depending where you are on the the penninsula it could be quite a hike. You could also use a local bus to cut the distance. Perhaps one of the Oslo natives that are sometimes on this board could add to this discussion.

Hank

P.S. For the Norwegians that read this board we send our prayers and our moral support and hope that you can all find a way to cope with the current events in your country.

Thank you for your advice Hlitner. We love walking and like to take in the natural scenery as well as city sights. I guess we will see how the weather is.

May I also echo your sentiment. We are parents of young teenagers and can only imagine the unbearable pain and suffering of Friday's events. In our own personal way we would like to show our support for Oslo by continuing with our plans to fully explore this wonderful city without any fear or reservations. We will not allow our impressions and memories of such a beautiful country be overshadowed by this mindless act.

Thank you again.

Out of curiosity, what do you see as the advantage to taking the bus? :)

I'm happy we had info on both. We walked from Filipstad to Rådhus. It was a busy day in port, and there was a huge line. So we went to the TI, got our passes, and took the #30. Ended up taking the ferry back. One other minor benefit to the bus.... Probably makes no sense to a local, but it can be nice to see typical neighborhoods. We also ended up chatting with people at the bus stop. With the ferry being mostly tourists, it's a bit insulating.

Again, thanks for your earlier post on getting into town from Filipstad. The day worked out perfectly! :D

Does the bus start running earlier than the ferry. Is it a faster route?

I know that coming back from Bygdoy we should take the ferry, but why not take it both ways? :confused:

No one has quite answered OP's question. How long is the bus ride and the ferry ride to Bygdoy and when do they start running?

We bought the 24 hour pass right at the dock, a short walk to the ferry 10-15 min depending on you mobility

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/?cat=49104&page=5

It includes the ferry ride & admission to the museums

I think they also gave us a discount

The ferry schedule is @

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/bygdoeyfergene-boat-to-the-museums.49112.181623r635.tlp.html

There is also a HOHO bus that stops at the dock

We took the bus from one museum to the Kon Tiki & Maritime (included in the pass )

The ferry was about 15 min or less if I remember

We did the HOHO bus the 2nd stop there is was about 30 min to the museums

If you plan on doing the ferry & at least 3 museums the pass is a better buy

The Fort is across from the dock if you have time a worthwhile visit

Edited by LHT28

We bought the 24 hour pass right at the dock, a short walk to the ferry 10-15 min depending on you mobility

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/?cat=49104&page=5

It includes the ferry ride & admission to the museums

I think they also gave us a discount

The ferry schedule is @

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/bygdoeyfergene-boat-to-the-museums.49112.181623r635.tlp.html

There is also a HOHO bus that stops at the dock

We took the bus from one museum to the Kon Tiki & Maritime (included in the pass )

The ferry was about 15 min or less if I remember

We did the HOHO bus the 2nd stop there is was about 30 min to the museums

If you plan on doing the ferry & at least 3 museums the pass is a better buy

The Fort is across from the dock if you have time a worthwhile visit

Thanks for the information. We will be in Oslo on Friday on our TA and two days later on Sunday on our Baltic cruise. We plan on buying a 72 hour Oslo Pass and use both days. The HOHO bus would make fewer stops than public transit so the #30 bus ride would probably be significantly more that 30 minutes. We thought about seeing a little of the city on the way to Bygdoy if the #30 bus trip is less than an hour.

The HOHO bus would make fewer stops than public transit so the #30 bus ride would probably be significantly more that 30 minutes. We thought about seeing a little of the city on the way to Bygdoy if the #30 bus trip is less than an hour.

You could always do the bus one way & the ferry the other ;)

Enjoy

You could always do the bus one way & the ferry the other ;)

Enjoy

We are considering that but only if we can make it to the Viking Ship Museum by 9:00. We will need to leave about 12:30-12:45 to safely make it back to the ship and I just need to know the time it takes to get to the Viking Ship Museum from the port area. It appears that the ferry starts at 8:45 in the morning. Edited by IECalCruiser

No one has quite answered OP's question. How long is the bus ride and the ferry ride to Bygdoy and when do they start running?

Bus #30: It's about 10 minutes' walk from the main cruise pier to Nationaltheatret. From there, the bus ride to the Folk Museum & Viking Ships is about 13 minutes, and to the Kon-Tiki & Fram is about 17 minutes. The first bus is around 6 am. From 7:30 am to 6:30 pm, the bus runs every 10 minutes, and outside of those hours, it runs every 20-30 minutes (until midnight).

(The bus schedule can be found here.)

Ferry #91: It's about 5 minutes' walk to the ferry pier. The ferry ride to Dronningen is 15 minutes with another 8 minutes' walk to the Viking Ships. If you head straight to Bygdøynes, it's 20 minutes, and the ferry pier is right next to the Fram & Kon-Tiki museums. The first ferry is at 8:45 and runs every 30 minutes. During the summer (until the end of August), it runs on a 20-minute schedule from 11 am until 5:45 pm.

(The ferry schedule can be found here.)

Bus #30: It's about 10 minutes' walk from the main cruise pier to Nationaltheatret. From there, the bus ride to the Folk Museum & Viking Ships is about 13 minutes, and to the Kon-Tiki & Fram is about 17 minutes. The first bus is around 6 am. From 7:30 am to 6:30 pm, the bus runs every 10 minutes, and outside of those hours, it runs every 20-30 minutes (until midnight).

(The bus schedule can be found here.)

Ferry #91: It's about 5 minutes' walk to the ferry pier. The ferry ride to Dronningen is 15 minutes with another 8 minutes' walk to the Viking Ships. If you head straight to Bygdøynes, it's 20 minutes, and the ferry pier is right next to the Fram & Kon-Tiki museums. The first ferry is at 8:45 and runs every 30 minutes. During the summer (until the end of August), it runs on a 20-minute schedule from 11 am until 5:45 pm.

(The ferry schedule can be found here.)

Thank you once again. It looks like we will go there by #30 bus because we want to be at the Viking Ship Museum when it opens at 9:00.

• 6 years later...
Thanks for the info. It’s our first trip to Oslo and we want to see the Viking Museum. Getting to the location by ferry just sounds like an added plus!

Be careful. The rest of this thread is from 2011! Make sure that it is still valid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info. It’s our first trip to Oslo and we want to see the Viking Museum. Getting to the location by ferry just sounds like an added plus!
We took the ferry from the pier adjacent to the cruise dock a few years ago. We planned to stop at the Folk Museum first so we got off at the second stop. Unfortunately it is a long walk uphill from that stop. Instead, get off at the first stop by the Fram Museum and take a bus to where you want to go. The Oslo Pass includes admission to most attractions and use of trains, buses, and ferries. You might need to check any bags you might have at some museums (Munch Museum for one) and you will need some change for that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took the ferry from the pier adjacent to the cruise dock a few years ago. We planned to stop at the Folk Museum first so we got off at the second stop. Unfortunately it is a long walk uphill from that stop. Instead, get off at the first stop by the Fram Museum and take a bus to where you want to go. The Oslo Pass includes admission to most attractions and use of trains, buses, and ferries. You might need to check any bags you might have at some museums (Munch Museum for one) and you will need some change for that. When cruise ships are in port there is a location near the port that apparently sells the pass, Vigdis Design. When we were there, a shop at the pier sold the passes.

Be careful. The rest of this thread is from 2011! Make sure that it is still valid.

This information is NOT still valid!!!

This particular ferry is no longer part of the public transit system. Although the ferry ticket is still covered by the Oslo Pass, it is NOT included in the regular transit passes. There is a ticket sales point on the pier, but I am not sure whether or not you can buy tickets on board.

If you are visiting several museums and purchasing an Oslo Pass, then the ferry is still a good option. If you are only traveling to/from Bygdøy and want to take the ferry there, a roundtrip ticket is less expensive than two single tickets. If you are planning to use the public transit system, the #30 bus that stops in front of the city hall is now the only option.