Public transportation to pier 91 seattle

PRINCESS ELITE

This is a question for Seattle locals -- is it possible to walk from the

closest Metro stop to Pier 91?? We are on a one day Seattle/Vancouver so have little luggage and would like to take the bus instead of paying $20-25 from a downtown hotel. Visitors Bureau said there is no walkway/

path to the Pier. Metro site gives directions to Garfield Bridge (which is

above the pier) or 15th Ave W. then...what?? We used to walk to

the other Princess/HAL pier from the bus stop but there were sidewalks, etc. Would appreciate your input. Thanks

closest Metro stop to Pier 91?? We are on a one day Seattle/Vancouver so have little luggage and would like to take the bus instead of paying $20-25 from a downtown hotel. Visitors Bureau said there is no walkway/

the other Princess/HAL pier from the bus stop but there were sidewalks, etc. Would appreciate your input. Thanks

Go to Westcoast Departures and check with SeattleCruiselover's thread. Seattle Q&A/FAQ. If anyone knows, she will.:) Enjoy..

Middle of the bridge is, in fact, the right answer, and then the parking lot shuttles will pick you up by the guard gate. You need to be able to navigate two flights of outdoor stairs with your luggage in tow. I plan to use this myself on Monday, in fact, and have done it several times now.

E

HOLD THE PHONE!

I just drew up a map and explanation of how to avoid the stairs and get to/from downtown. The map is written as to getting from pier 90/91 to the airport, but the reverse is pretty similar. Note that the stair route is the "alternate route" and not recommended because of the stairs and the less frequent bus service.

See the post here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1269843

Well I contaced the port via email had two very short and curt answers. I'm not sure that they understood exactly what my intent was but essentially, as much sense as it might make being near a regional trail, flat, and a major bus stop, the west entrance to the port is for commercial deliveries, charter busses, and school busses that are stored north of the piers. You are discouraged from coming to this entrance by foot, and as someone pointed out before, you may get turned around empty handed. I don't think this would be the problem leaveing the port, but it sounds like if you choose to enter on foot, you either bug a friend, shell out $$$ for a taxi, or brave the steep steps. Dissapointing really.

Heres the response:

The entrance is heavily used by cruise commercial traffic and the truck traffic and school buses that also locate at Terminal 91. For safety reasons, use of this entrance by pedestrians is not encourages. Once on the terminal, an individual has a very long walk (presumably with luggage) to access the cruise terminal located at the end of Pier 91.

Well after writing them back saying I would just use the stairs this is the reply I got...

No one will stop you from using the entrance, but I have to offer the caution to anyone who asks. Many travelers are not aware of the surroundings and often have many pieces of luggage. Have a great cruise.

Take it at face value...sounds like if you are experienced you will do fine.

Well after writing them back saying I would just use the stairs this is the reply I got...

No one will stop you from using the entrance, but I have to offer the caution to anyone who asks. Many travelers are not aware of the surroundings and often have many pieces of luggage. Have a great cruise.

Take it at face value...sounds like if you are experienced you will do fine.

Let me just put it this way. My middle DD is the cruise ship coordinator for one of the larger produce companies here in town. To Termnal 91 alone, her company runs about 10 big rigs in per ship (i.e. 20 per day Saturday and Sunday). They have three ships in town to load, and they are not, by far, the only vendors in there. Theire trucks run thorugh there pretty quickly, and there are lots of blind turns. Be very, very, careful.

We tried it yesterday and in spite of the directions we walked in circles a bit first up and down first ramps then stairs then found our way to the port gate and luckily had a nice guard. We came across an older couple on the bus and they followed us. The guard was nice and let us in but it was a loooong walk carrying luggage and big trucks roaring by at the same time. I would do it again now that I know the way to go but I would not recommend this route unless you are very able bodied and aren't carrying much luggage. Just my opinion! :o

On Monday, we took the bus (#24) to the pier, having boarded on 4th Ave. There were about 5-6 others on the bus with their carry-on bags so we knew we would have company. The bus stopped (#1394) just before going up over the Garfield St/Magnolia bridge, north side. We walked about 30 ft. to a set of steel steps - not very obvious. The guard was waiting for us at the bottom - evidently, had been busy every 30 minutes earlier. Checked our ID's/passports and off we went. A couple of others knew what they were doing - the Port has painted a walkway of sorts so just rolled our little carry-on a couple of blocks -

We got off the bus at 12:00 Noon, and were checked in and in our room by 12:25PM, so we were happy. Will do it again as long as we hv just carry-on. DH says he would do it even with our two 26" cases, but....

Would not recommend it for any with walking difficulties, but we considered it good exercise although we are in our later 70's.

• 1 year later...

It looks like it has been over a year since someone replied to this post. I looked at it before our cruise and decided to chance taking mass transit. There were 4 of us. My wife and I and two adult children 22 and 18.

I read the horror stories about taking the bus but figured that if we couldn't do it, we would get close, call a cab and have them take us in. After looking at other posts we figured it would take two cabs to get all four of us there. And it would probable be about $20/per cab. So after looking at the maps we boarded bus #24, told the driver where we were going. He charged me $7.00 for the 4 of us. This was on Sunday about noon. The bus was almost empty. It was a little difficult carrying a big suitcase on the bus while the bus was moving but not that big a deal. While on the bus we talked to a couple who was doing the same thing. And they were traveling on the same boat as us. The driver let us off in top of the bridge. There was a stairway 10 feet away from us. We got all of our stuff and started the head down the stairs. I could see the older couple might have a bit of a hard time so I told my son to help the lady. There were a total of maybe 30-40 stairs. We got down and showed our tickets to the guard. About 10 feet away a small can pulled up and took us and our luggage to the terminal. So it saved us over $30.00 to go on a city bus. I thought it was worth it. It saved us a lot more when we got off the boat and took the same bus and then a train to the airport. That trip cost us about $15.00 total for the four of us and the boat advertised $25. per person on a shuttle. So we save $85.00. Total over a hundred bucks and we arrived at the airport by 9.00. (We were one of the first ones off and carried our own luggage. ) So I am 56 years old, overweight and had no trouble whatsoever navigating the bus, train and stairs to pier 91. If I can do it, so can you.

• 1 month later...

hear hear! June 2012: the stairs from magnolia bridge bus 24 stop at pier 91/smith cove terminal seemed old but safe/sturdy enough to me w/ a big suitcase; they weren't narrow/rickety so I assume they were improved in the past few years.

Yes at the bottom of the bridge is a parking lot area of pier 91 but it wasn't obvious to me this is where a free shuttle can save you from walking to the terminal.

I'd surely do this cheap transit route again; the bus had ample room for a big suitcase and I didn't have to wait long for bus or terminal shuttle.

I live here and was working at pier 91. I took the 'stairs' and no way would I ever recommend this to a visitor. Once I got down I had no idea which way to go. Hauling your luggage thru a roadway isn't my idea of a great idea to start a vacation. The same $7 or so could have gotten you a whole cab. Also the shuttles are for people parking in the parking lot, not for bus passengers trying to save $1.

the shuttle driver told me he stops at the north gate where the bus stop is; I don't know what's official but presume he didn't break any rule.

Also the shuttles are for people parking in the parking lot, not for bus passengers trying to save $1.

but the above poster said "we figured it would take two cabs to get all four of us there. And it would probable be about $20/per cab".

So maybe they were going further too.

The same $7 or so could have gotten you a whole cab.

Go to Westcoast Departures and check with SeattleCruiselover's thread. Seattle Q&A/FAQ. If anyone knows, she will.:) Enjoy..

Indeed, I DO know. It is three flights down from the top of the bridge to street level, then about 1/8 to 1/4 mile to the terminal itself, on a heavily traveled road. Not my idea of a fun walk.

yes but there's no raised sidewalk; it's more like a painted crosswalk but at the road side.

see the satellite map pic https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Seattle,+WA&hl=en&ll=47.633403,-122.382818&spn=0.001067,0.001348&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=57.292148,88.330078&oq=seattle&hnear=Seattle,+King,+Washington&t=h&z=20

Edited by everbruin

The last time I was at Pier 91 I saw a man, his wife and 2 kids dragging their bags down the Pier towards the stairs to go up on to the Magnolia bridge to wait for the Bus. I thought to myself how cheap can you be to drag your family down the Pier a couple of hundred yards, claim 3 flights of stairs and wait for the bus on top of the bridge to save $85or whatever on a cab fare to the Airport. You’ve got to be a real “cheapster” to subject your family to something like that. Where I live we call that “Head Shaken Dumb”