July 3-19, 2005

gr8twocruz

• 4 weeks later...
My wife and I will once again be onboard The World beginning July 3rd. Anyone else on the boards going to be there?

How did you get on, on "The World"?

Tell all. I visited whilst it was docked in Torbay - and would like to hear how it worked for you.

I have this daft idea about buying a "veranda" type suite and sharing it with say three other couples. The annual maintenance would be very low and great value (as it's based on square footage) and 3 months would be more than enough for me. I think it would work out at around $200k and $15k annually for 3 months cruising.

Any takers

Jeff

Hi - We are considering taking our first cruise on the ResidenSeas. With 2 adults and 2 kids, do you think a verandah room would be sufficient? Or should we go for an apartment? If so, can you fit 4 people in a 1 bedroom apartment or would we need a 2 bedroom? Does anyone know how the pricing works for booking a 6-day stay - can we get a verandah room or apartment without any meals (as we'll probably want to eat lunch and dinner off of the ship most days at port). How much extra do they charge for 2 kids? Sorry for all the questions. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi - We are considering taking our first cruise on the ResidenSeas. With 2 adults and 2 kids, do you think a verandah room would be sufficient? Or should we go for an apartment? If so, can you fit 4 people in a 1 bedroom apartment or would we need a 2 bedroom? Does anyone know how the pricing works for booking a 6-day stay - can we get a verandah room or apartment without any meals (as we'll probably want to eat lunch and dinner off of the ship most days at port). How much extra do they charge for 2 kids? Sorry for all the questions. Any advice would be appreciated.

Onboard The World, you can only have two people per bedroom, so you will have to have a 2 bedroom unit (either a two bedroom apartment or a two bedroom studio residence (SA7)). A six day stay is priced at the per night rate x 6. That covers the first two guests. The additional guests are charged $350 per night per person. At this point, with rentals, all meals and drinks are included and you cannot rent without meals. (I know they are thinking of offering rentals without meals, but so far, it is not done as far as I know.) I presume that you know The World is a very tranquil and private place with no activities or entertainment, either for children or adults. Good luck.

Richard

Specialty Cruise

There are some activities aboard The World: There's a space called The Paint Box for children, it's sort of an Arts and Crafts workroom with supervision. There's also a pretty well stocked library, including childrens' books. When I was aboard there was also a large community jigsaw puzzle that everyone worked on. There's also a small pool, full-size tennis court, putting green, driving range, spa and nice fitness center with scheduled classes. They also occasionally have guest musicians for concerts on sea days. Still, it is very quiet but if you choose a port intensive itinerary then it's not so bad.

Thank you both for the info. We are not looking for a typical "cruise" experience, just some quiet time away. And we are voracious travellers and love visiting places. The World seems to offer a great combination of a quiet, relaxing vacation and the novelty of visiting new places. I should have mentioned that our kids are older, so very self-sufficient with reading, swimming, etc. I do hope that they offer a plan without meals in the near future, as we'd probably choose a "port-heavy" itinerary. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my questions!

Archived