Anyone have experience cruising Gluten Free

RamblingReader

Anyone with experience cruising Gluten Free? I have a true allergy, not just preference.

I'm not too worried about eating on the ship (Royal Carribean's website showed me how to alert them ahead of my allergy AND I sent word through my TA) but in port, I have NO idea how to find an allergy-friendly place. In Cozumel, the consensus for our family is that we just want a fun all-inclusive beach, but how do I find one I know I can eat at?

We will also be going to Jamaica and Grand Cayman.... we know the excursions we want to do, but I don't know how I will eat?:o:confused:

Has anyone dealt with this? Can you pack a lunch from the ship?

Ideas? Suggestions?

You are not allowed to take the Ships food off the ship (although some do anyway).

If you are taking longer excursions either take a prepackaged snack that you brought on your own...or ask at restaurants (you know what the risks are and questions to ask). Honestly though most beach places only have one fryer and may not even serve gluten free breads.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

We bring Kind bars with us, or packaged nuts. I also do a Google search for gluten free restaurants in the area I'll be in. That's not always successful, but sometimes something comes up. My husband is celiac so we bring a card with us that explains the whole gluten free thing in whatever language is required. Below is the website where you can find them. We just hand the card to a server and they let us know what the options are, if there are any.

http://www.celiactravel.com

I am a medically diagnosed Coeliac. Done plenty of cruising. I let them know in advance and pick my dinner for next night from menu head waiter brings to me. Most dishes can be adapted. We eat in the MDR - traditional sitting, so they know where to find me. Breakfast and Lunch I eat in buffet and pick myself and/or ask cooks for guidance, without being a problem child.

As for eating ashore, can be very difficult. If we go on a shorex with a meal included I let tour staff know in advance, most times the tour guide will get something for me from hotel/restaurant staff, salad or something grilled. On a couple of occasions I missed out on a meal, because no GF options. It is a pain travelling as a Coeliac but you get around it. We mostly travel Princess, but travelled on other lines like P&O, Cunard, Celebrity, they operate much the same with special diets.

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and cruising on Saturday, I plan to keep track of and share my experiences. The food in many countries in the Caribbean (and elsewhere) are far less gluten centric than US/Canada. The cards are a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We bring Kind bars with us, or packaged nuts. I also do a Google search for gluten free restaurants in the area I'll be in. That's not always successful, but sometimes something comes up. My husband is celiac so we bring a card with us that explains the whole gluten free thing in whatever language is required. Below is the website where you can find them. We just hand the card to a server and they let us know what the options are, if there are any.

www.celiactravel.com

Thanks for the link to the card! That could be a life-saver.

• 3 months later...

I generally eat good breakfast before going on excursions and then take a couple of snacks with me, I bring my own on board, generally nuts or seeds etc. I usually don’t bother with meals offered on the tours unless I have researched the place before hand.

There is so much food on a cruise, missing a meal or too probably keeps my weight in check