Woman medevaced from Star Princess

TucsonRick

We were onboard. The entire operation was relatively brief. Hopefully she is going to be ok.

So was I. The captain's announcements woke us up. Our cabin was on the starboard side, so I only saw the helicopter go past the ship. Seems our passengers were more compliant than on the Grand when she had a recent helicopter evacuation.

In our 51 cruises, we've only witnessed one airlift evacuation. It was of an officer (possibly the head chef), not a pax, and happened on a TA somewhere in the northern Atlantic, probably off France. They let us watch the whole process from a distance and it was fascinating. We've seen more "evacuations" via ambulance while in port.

In our 51 cruises, we've only witnessed one airlift evacuation. It was of an officer (possibly the head chef), not a pax, and happened on a TA somewhere in the northern Atlantic, probably off France. They let us watch the whole process from a distance and it was fascinating. We've seen more "evacuations" via ambulance while in port.

We have never seen an air evacuation but did have an evacuation in a port on our last cruise. I sincerely hope that neither I or my wife are ever evacuees. This is one of the reasons we have MedjetAssist. If we ever do have to be evacuated we would rather come home than go to a hospital in some other country.

I find it incredible that they don't have helipads on the ships for this exact reason.

Cruise ship is not an aircraft carrier or destroyer. You need a sizeable deck to land a full size medivac chopper on a rocking ship in open ocean.

What an interesting perspective to watch the evacuation from above! We were onboard as well, in a port side balcony. My roommate woke up to the Captain's announcement asking everyone to clear the open decks and for those on the port side to keep their balcony doors closed. We were able to see the helicopter hovering off the side of the ship but it would disappear from our view when it was lowering and raising the rope and basket. It was a very quick process.

This was my second time witnessing an evacuation. The first time was on the Dawn Princess off the coast of Mexico and a young girl had appendicitis. I think the cruise ships and rescue personnel are very safe and efficient with this evacuation process! Hope the woman is doing well.