Alaska Cabin Selection

BopRN

Tell me the advantage of having a balcony for an Alaska trip.

The price differences are huge; I hate that regular balcony cabins on Princess don't have a couch (who can sit on a hard chair for 7 days ?) and the mini-suite is $600 more!

We always get a balcony on other cruise lines and enjoy the balcony for sitting, reading, etc. But we figure it will be different since it probably will be cold/rainy. We are trying to decide if it would be worth it to splurge for a mini-suite.

The only advantage to having a balcony on an Alaska trip is that you have a private space to hang out and watch the scenery. The disadvantage is that the views are better from the open decks where you have a 360 degree panoramic view. Sure, there are lots of people on deck, but it is a good sized ship.

As to cold and rainy...it depends. We were told that August was the "rainy season." We had one day that was misty and no rain at all. High temps were about 70 on most days; of course it wasn't quite that warm most of the time. The only time I was at all cold was during whale watching.

Honestly, I'd go with a lower cost cabin on the ship and spend the money on upscale excursions. That's basically what we did and I'd happily do it again.

We sailed Alaska the end of May, it was CHILLY!!!!

Only you know about the cabin size, etc. that you will be comfortable with.

I can agree with the 'one small chair' thing.

But, we were totally fine with our OV, that had the floor plan like a balcony cabin and had a really big window... not the usual little one.

So far weve always booked Oceanview cabin, which is usually Deck 5. I like being able to look straight out & see whale puffs.

Plus its cheaper than balcony., and you still have a window. I like Balcony for Carrib., but not really needed for Alaska, due to weather.

Personally, I would NOT splurge on Balc for Alaska, unless its a steal, and it never is.

Inside cabin is ok too. We cruise Alot, so I go for the Deals.

Agree with above, you usually go up on deck for most of your viewing anyway.

We were very happy that we had a balcony for our first Alaskan cruise. It was great to look out and see the beautiful scenery any time we were in the cabin. We saw quite a few whales over the course of the cruise, and it was great to be able to grab the camera and binoculars and head out onto the balcony.

One of the biggest reasons to do an Alaskan Cruise is the magnificent scenery. What better way than to always have those vistas outside your door, and be able to step out at you leisure and enjoy. No running up to the d ck, just a step away. As we a,wayscruise with our traveling friends, next door to us, we always open the divider and have twice the space for maximum viewing.

I AM NOT the voice of experience. We will be doing Alaska for the first time on the Grand in June. I think being able to step out and see even a part of the beautiful scenery is huge. We are going to be on Caribe deck where the balconies are partially covered so go ahead and rain or mist. Cannot wait for whatever comes our way.

IMHO it is not worth the price. Our first Alaska cruise we were told we HAD to have one - we barely used it. I would save the money and spend it on lavish shore excursions- you will enjoy them more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've sailed up in Alaska 10 or 11 times (sorry, lost count) and it has always been nothing short of spectacular! It is my favorite itinerary ... even looking for another sailing up there for 2019. I can tell you, we've been extremely lucky with the weather and have only had one sailing up there (in mid-late Sept) where the weather was crazy ... and we still consider that one of the best cruises we've been on. Several times, we've had nothing but sunshine and relatively warm weather. We've sailed in anything from inside to mini-suites and I can honestly say, if there is a place to get a balcony cabin, it is in Alaska. I also had some amazing times in inside and oceanview cabins in Alaska and still had a great time. We just found nice public areas to enjoy the sightseeing on those sailings. One day, I was in the internet cafe and saw so many whales just out the window from my seat.

I know the balcony rooms don't have a couch (at least on the older ships) but they do have two chairs out on the balcony. Many of the Princess ships leave the mini-suite decks wide open and not protected from the elements. This is not a place I would spend more for a mini-suite unless it was on the Emerald deck (Grand and Crown class ships). Those last two corner afts might call for the extra cost ... but otherwise, I wouldn't spend more for the mini on the Dolphin deck. You'd be much better off with a balcony on the Caribe deck if that is your bare minimum. If you budget calls for an inside or obstructed OV (there are some excellent so called obstructed OV cabins on the Emerald deck), then I would urge you to still go and find places to enjoy the scenery from a public deck. If your experience is anything like ours, you will fall in love with this itinerary.

We are trying to decide if it would be worth it to splurge for a mini-suite.

Only you know your finances. However, keep in mind that you can easily spend more on excursions than you do on the cruise. (We are well known for pricey excursion here) Many of the top-notch excursions cost hundreds of dollars apiece. As a rule, they are worth it.... especially if you only plan to visit once. If it makes the difference between having the $$$ to do excursions or not, definitely save the money on the cabin and spend to get out and see Alaska

~Brian

We almost always get a balcony, but 2 years ago for Alaska we decided to get an obstructed view cabin. My wife has had health problems, so we knew she would not sit much on the balcony. We took a guarantee. We got a cabin in the category we booked, and then turned down 2 upsells to a balcony. Cost was $250 and then $200 per person. Princess must have really wanted our cabin. We got an upgrade to a minisuite that did not have a balcony. However it was the front one on Dolphin deck. Right net to our door was the door to an observation area at the front of the ship.

On Island or Coral the view and comfort in the indoor pool area (Lotus Pool) is FAR better than a balcony. Last trip did B2B in obstructed ocean view for same price as a one way in a balcony. Loungers are great and you can usually sit in shorts to watch the scenery (depends on how close to the doors you sit) and pop outside for photos.

However, don't get the OV cabins over the Wheelhouse Bar, especially over the stage. Loud until midnight. Music wasn't that bad but the singer was painfully off key. Check the Renmar's website that displays obstructed views before booking: https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/home

We've been to Alaska many times. Our first cruise was to AK in an OV, and we decided: Never Again! I am very heat intolerant (MS) and the Caribbean cruises are pretty much a thing of the past for us. I LOVE sitting on my balcony in the cool air! The scenery is beautiful, and if the balcony is covered, there's no problem with rain. (I may be an outlier, as, if it's really cool, I bundle up in a hoodie and blanket, and STILL spend most of my time on the balcony!)

Only you will be able to decide which will work for you. Others have given good advice -- save on the cabin, spend on the excursions. Me? I choose the balcony; aft, if available.