New Dress Code Designations?

bluemarble

I have never sailed on Cunard but I have booked a T/A in Oct. for 2019. I went to my documents to see what the dress code is. It's still showing the same dress code that was showing in Oct. So my question is, what is the new dress code and where can I find it. I'm a bit confused now on the dress code. Thanks for any info you can offer.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Note the actual wording "wear what you like anywhere" during the day, then jacket etc. is now being requested and not required.

According to Cunard nothing has changed except the wording. Change the words and one may change the meaning.

No mention of dress code if requests being enforced.

Still trying to obtain a confirmation of the actual meaning behind wordings so there is no confusion, and the enforcement.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
predictive

IMO a large number of people are assuming there will be people who will be happy to sail Cunard with a relaxed dress code than they would have been under the old code.

Can someone explain to me why they would want to spend more on a Cunard cruise when they can continue to cruise on cheaper lines offering the same experience? It just doesn't make economic sense.

Don't say it is for the ambiance of Cunard because that will no longer be unique, as it will just be like every other line. I accept that TA's might be an exception, (for the time being).

If you took a cruise aboard, say, P&O Ventura (not to be recommend though) you would realise that though Cunard is in the same race to the bottom as all the others, It’s just that they have not fallen quite as far yet and the name Cunard is still a draw for many. Over 50 odd cruises over the years I have seen standards slipping in most departments, but that has not really bothered me too much. I cruise for the relaxation really and a more relaxed dress code would not bother me a jot.

Of course any passenger can dress as formally as they wish, it’s just mixing with those who don’t that seems to be the problem for them and there is still an element of a class system as always.

DAVID

If you took a cruise aboard, say, P&O Ventura (not to be recommend though) you would realise that though Cunard is in the same race to the bottom as all the others, It’s just that they have not fallen quite as far yet and the name Cunard is still a draw for many. Over 50 odd cruises over the years I have seen standards slipping in most departments, but that has not really bothered me too much. I cruise for the relaxation really and a more relaxed dress code would not bother me a jot.

Of course any passenger can dress as formally as they wish, it’s just mixing with those who don’t that seems to be the problem for them and there is still an element of a class system as always.

DAVID

Could not agree more, Especially about Ventura.

Edited by Pennbank

I would not hold your Breath, as regular passengers know that tailored shorts have been allowed in The Britannia Restaurant for Breakfast and Lunch for ages. ...

Cheers and no worries, I won't be holding my breath. It's just that I had hoped since Cunard has undertaken the effort to freshen up the dress code wording, they might have also taken the opportunity to freshen up that statement about the breakfast and lunch dress code in the main dining rooms to resolve that long-standing ambiguity.

And while they were at it, I think it also would have been helpful to freshen up that statement about blue denim not being appropriate within the ship after 6:00pm since they then go on to state that jeans are appropriate in the casual venues.

At least those ambiguities are only found within the UK FAQ. Most guests in the US and Canada who no longer have access to that FAQ will rely on the wording found on the "What to Wear" page of the main Cunard web site and within the voyage personaliser to learn about the dress code. I suppose many in the UK and elsewhere will as well. Fortunately neither of these ambiguities in the dress code wording exist in those other places.

Edited by bluemarble

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Note the actual wording "wear what you like anywhere" during the day, then jacket etc. is now being requested and not required.

According to Cunard nothing has changed except the wording. Change the words and one may change the meaning.

No mention of dress code if requests being enforced.

Still trying to obtain a confirmation of the actual meaning behind wordings so there is no confusion, and the enforcement.

Thank you for your reply and the link. I will head over now and check it out.

The point is you can go away if you wish and Cunard will survive without you. If there us no other line that's formal enough for you, maybe the problem isn't all the cruise lines.

I've taken a number of cruises on one particular line that certainly enforces its dress regulations for dinner.

It may surprise you to learn that that particular line was German. No jacket, no dinner except in the buffet, Yacht Club by name.

One's focus is that of enforcement. No enforcement by Cunard equates to the slippery slope down to Carnival Dress Code standard.

This is why one is challenging Cunard's wording, to ensure their intentions are made transparent.

One may well start to consider that the lack of any meaningful 'enforcement' may infringe on the hallmarked 'White Star Service' and by definition provide reasonable grounds for a reduction in 'auto' gratuities.

Don't vote with your feet: vote with your wallet. :evilsmile::evilsmile:

One may well start to consider that the lack of any meaningful 'enforcement' may infringe on the hallmarked 'White Star Service' and by definition provide reasonable grounds for a reduction in 'auto' gratuities.

Don't vote with your feet: vote with your wallet. :evilsmile::evilsmile:

This is very interesting point, it has some substance.

Better still, when at GS and reducing or removing the service fee, one states on a form the reason being a reduction in the White Star Experience.

You are correct, if the experience is reduced why pay in full. This is exactly the same protocol one applies when dining in landside Restaurants.

Like to make two points.

Firstly: The what to wear page in the main part of the website must take precedence over anything in Faqs.

Secondly : it IS impossible to ENFORCE any dress code, as it is not mentioned in the terms and conditions. The nearest to dress code is conduct which can be used to ban offensive slogans, but not to enforce a dress code. Unless the word conduct has a meaning not in any dictionary. The dress code depends on the decorum of guests following the REQUESTS. Which most do!

Let's just enjoy our vacations.

The only difference in the suggested attire to that which I have seen on board is that a jumper and jacket are now considered "smart".

As to people being unsuitably attired in the theatre, this is probably due to being allowed into the theatre before the crew members enforcing the dress code do not turn up until 10 minutes before the show starts,at times.

Accept thoee empowered to enforce the dress code in the Theatre may arrive post miscreants. However, the empowered enforcers are not then inviting the seated miscreants to leave, collect a jacket etc., and then return.

In the new dress code and/or a suggestion (change of wording), there is no mention of any enforcement. It is proving difficult to extract a confirmation of enforcement from Cunard. All one asks is for a single word answer of a yes or a no.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
predictive text

Accept thoee empowered to enforce the dress code in the Theatre may arrive post miscreants. However, the empowered enforcers are not then inviting the seated miscreants to leave, collect a jacket etc., and then return.

In the new dress code and/or a suggestion (change of wording), there is no mention of any enforcement. It is proving difficult to extract a confirmation of enforcement from Cunard. All one asks is for a single word answer of a yes or a no.

That is like asking for a single word answer...yes or no.... from a politician.

That is like asking for a single word answer...yes or no.... from a politician.

Lol

Yes, but a politician may have something to hide from the public.

But we are only talking about Cunard, and this is proving just as difficult

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Lol

Yes, but a politician may have something to hide from the public.

But we are only talking about Cunard, and this is proving just a difficult

You don't think they have something to hide? If someone asks "will you be enforcing the dress code?" Cunard reps probably know that won't happen, but they don't want to say so.

You don't think they have something to hide? If someone asks "will you be enforcing the dress code?" Cunard reps probably know that won't happen, but they don't want to say so.

Good point.

But Cunard confirmed it is only a change of wording, and all else remains the same. So why don't Cunard just say yes? Unless it is actually more than a change of wording.

So why couldn't Cunard be fair, decent, honest, ethical, and open with guests? To not be so, is not Cunard.

Read the terms and conditions, which is the only enforceable contract we have with any shipping company and they have with us. There is no mention of dress code. It would be easy for Cunard to have inserted a line , "passengers will be required to follow the dress code " in the terms and conditions, but they did not . Thus the dress code is not strictly enforceable, it is a request .

However if the vast majority of passengers stick to the dress code , as they do, all will be fine. Those who are more comfortable in " casual gear" will be more comfortable in places where it's allowed. It is good that there are now enough casual places in the evening for them.

To me behaviour is far more important than dress code. For example, I've been on cruises with our antipodean cousins, their attitude to dress might be more relaxed, but they were gentlemen to a man. Yet I've see men in Tuxedos to busy to wait and hold a door open for a little old lady.

Good point.

But Cunard confirmed it is only a change of wording, and all else remains the same. So why don't Cunard just say yes? Unless it is actually more than a change of wording.

So why couldn't Cunard be fair, decent, honest, ethical, and open with guests? To not be so, is not Cunard.

I so agree with you.

From the Cruise Critic guidelines

Discussion of our management policies and procedures -- including post deletions-- is considered off-topic discussion for our cruise boards and will be removed without notice. All decisions regarding any action taken by management shall remain final.

Cruise Critic has the right to exercise and apply our guidelines at any level we determine, at our sole discretion, at any time.

If you have comments or concerns regarding the management of this community, please address them to:community@cruisecritic.com.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk