Ventura

cruiseluvva

Oh don’t say that about Ventura :eek: we have just booked 35 nights on her - for the lovely itinerary, not the ship or cruise line.

Hi Gill

We were only once on Ventura, and that was when our daughter was the principal female Headliner. We still has to pay full fare. We had a suite at the stern, which, itself, was reasonable.

It's a bit different from Cunard with a totally dissimilar clientele.

I'm afraid we won't be rushing back any time soon.

Interestingly, we did see a couple being asked to leave the Red Bar because they were not adhering to the day's dress code, which actually is something we've never seen on Cunard.

Stewart

Hi Gill

We were only once on Ventura, and that was when our daughter was the principal female Headliner. We still has to pay full fare. We had a suite at the stern, which, itself, was reasonable.

It's a bit different from Cunard with a totally dissimilar clientele.

I'm afraid we won't be rushing back any time soon.

Interestingly, we did see a couple being asked to leave the Red Bar because they were not adhering to the day's dress code, which actually is something we've never seen on Cunard.

Stewart

We also have an aft facing suite, which will help, and have close friends nearby in a Super Delxe cabin portside aft. Ventura wouldn’t have been our choice at all, but the itinerary is great and so we have bitten the bullet. Plus it was INCREDIBLY cheap for 35 nights.

I suspect we’ll not eat in the main restaurant very much though.

Whats all this aggro toward Ventura??? It is what it is, and as long as you are prepared for it being P&O and not Cunard then you should not be disappointed particularly if you are in a suite and make liberal use of Epicurian.

It been a while since we cruised on her but we not only had a great time, but had our best and most amusing dress code incident. Our son at the time was 9 and when told, pre cruise, that he did not need to dress up for formal nights, he was most upset and insisted that he should have evening dress like his dad. My wife found him a relatively cheap dinner suit, white formal shirt and a few small bow ties, online and we were quite proud of him as he was one of the few kids on board who followed the dress code.

So we were sitting after dinner in the Metropolis bar on a formal night when all of a sudden there was a commotion at the door. Two chaps were being refused entry because they were in casual shirts and jeans and voices were raised.

"I'm sorry sir but I cannot let you into the bar" said one of the senior waiters, " but thats outrageous" was the response "look" one of them said, pointing at my son" you are letting a child sit in the bar, but you won't let us in !".

"Yes Sir" said the waiter " but he is properly dressed!"

End of argument.

Oh don’t say that about Ventura :eek: we have just booked 35 nights on her - for the lovely itinerary, not the ship or cruise line.

we were on Ventura last April to eastern Med it was fine, food ok we had 2nd sitting although anytime dining is available in separate venue

but after a few days we gave up on breakfast in Beach House and went to main restaurant where service and menu excellent. We would happily go on it again especially for one of their 35 night cruises

ok it is not Cunard but it was to our mind perfectly acceptable and dress code was adhered to especially on formal nights

We have been on Ventura - the very first cruise actually, even before the Maiden - so we know exactly what she’s like.

However, as I said, it was an amazing price, we like the itinerary, our friends are going, we have a reasonable cabin and confirmed Freedom Dining, although I suspect we will use the Select Dining venues mainly, so we’ll be ok.

We also have an aft facing suite, which will help, and have close friends nearby in a Super Delxe cabin portside aft. Ventura wouldn’t have been our choice at all, but the itinerary is great and so we have bitten the bullet. Plus it was INCREDIBLY cheap for 35 nights.

I suspect we’ll not eat in the main restaurant very much though.

We were on Queen Victoria last September our first Cunard cruise and we have done several P&O cruises including Ventura. We found the food quality in the MDR on both cruiselines to be very similar.

Dont miss out on Epicurean for breakfast the best part of being in a suite in our opinion.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

To be honest, in the past we have found breakfast in Epicurean to be exactly the same as the main restaurants, but as we eat very little at breakfast anyway, we will just have it on the balcony - or in our cabin.

Yes, food options not a lot different but service is a bit better and you cant sit outside in the sun on a nice day in the mdr.😎

Why are we talking about the Ventura when this is a Cunard forum? Have I missed something? Actually DH and I were looking at her 35 nighter in 2020. Looks good but it's not Cunard.

This thread began life as a discussion within the "New Dress Code Designators?" thread, started by this post mentioning Ventura in the context of comparing standards between P&O and Cunard.

If you took a cruise aboard, say, P&O Ventura (not to be recommend though) you would realise that though Cunard is in the same race to the bottom as all the others, It’s just that they have not fallen quite as far yet and the name Cunard is still a draw for many. Over 50 odd cruises over the years I have seen standards slipping in most departments, but that has not really bothered me too much. I cruise for the relaxation really and a more relaxed dress code would not bother me a jot.

Of course any passenger can dress as formally as they wish, it’s just mixing with those who don’t that seems to be the problem for them and there is still an element of a class system as always.

DAVID

Everything within this thread about the Ventura followed on from there. Host Hattie took the decision to create this new thread by moving the discussion specifically about the Ventura that had been going on within that dress code thread here to a separate thread.