Santorini water taxi ferry at cruise port?? Has anyone done it recently?

Galleon1234

We will be there the week of May 14. Wanting to do the ferry water taxis to Oia sp read somewhere it is not offered anymore.... Does anyone know? Also if it will be running that week?

I’m on the same cruise and would like to know too. Didn’t know the ferry to Oia was seasonal. Just assumed it would be in operation when cruise ships were in port. When we are in port, there will be 4 ships in port with the Vision and over 7000 passengers! From what I remember, 2 ships arrive around 7am and 2 more ships at 8am. I’m hoping the tender process will go smoothly. I am also counting on the ferry to Oia to avoid the cable car lines.

I found a company on Trip Advisor that runs the speedboat between the Old Port and Oia (Ammoudi Bay) and emailed them. They are still operating the speedboat and it will be running on May 22 when we arrive. You can contact them and let them know that you are interested. They didn't request a specific time from me so you may be able to reserve once you arrive too.

Here are the details from the email:

This kind of tour is available. It begins from the old port of Fira with a speedboat and you gonna reach Ammoudi bay in only 10 minutes. In this bay there will be a private bus which going to take you to the top of the village of Oia.

In Oia you will have free time to enjoy the famous village and then every one hour there is a private bus from the same spot that we left you and with the same ticket it goes to Fira town.

In Fira the free time depends from the departure time of the last tender to return back on your cruise ship.

In order to see availability please tell how exactly how many adults and how many children you are. Children below 6 years old don’t pay at all but please mention them. Official price is 15€ per person.

Dimitris Saliveros

Dakoutros Bros J.V

Best Excursions!

Fira central square

Tel: (+30) 22860 24287

Fax: (+30) 22860 22686

info@santorini-excursions.com

http://www.santorini-excursions.com/

• Like 1

Great info Mack44. Are u on the Vision? We will be in Santorini the same day:). I have emailed them for more info and how to register. You can contact me at mshodgson59 at gmail.com. Thanks for your information!!

Yes we are on Vision. I recognized your screen name on our roll call.

I found a company on Trip Advisor that runs the speedboat between the Old Port and Oia (Ammoudi Bay) and emailed them. They are still operating the speedboat and it will be running on May 22 when we arrive. You can contact them and let them know that you are interested. They didn't request a specific time from me so you may be able to reserve once you arrive too.

Here are the details from the email:

This kind of tour is available. It begins from the old port of Fira with a speedboat and you gonna reach Ammoudi bay in only 10 minutes. In this bay there will be a private bus which going to take you to the top of the village of Oia.

In Oia you will have free time to enjoy the famous village and then every one hour there is a private bus from the same spot that we left you and with the same ticket it goes to Fira town.

In Fira the free time depends from the departure time of the last tender to return back on your cruise ship.

In order to see availability please tell how exactly how many adults and how many children you are. Children below 6 years old don’t pay at all but please mention them. Official price is 15€ per person.

Dimitris Saliveros

Dakoutros Bros J.V

Best Excursions!

Fira central square

Tel: (+30) 22860 24287

Fax: (+30) 22860 22686

info@santorini-excursions.com

http://www.santorini-excursions.com/

Thank you for this valuable information @mack44 [emoji1362] My family and I are visiting Santorini in July and this is a very economical option, especially for a family of six!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

There were several water taxis when we were there on May 1, 2018. Just walk along the dock to the boat area. Affordable. (15 euros but they charged 12 euros each for the eight of us). It included the boat to the town below Oia, the bus up to Oia, the bus back to Fira. Be sure to leave plenty of time for the cable car down to the port again. We waited an hour and a half and not many ships in port. The cable car costs 6 euros.

There were several water taxis when we were there on May 1, 2018. Just walk along the dock to the boat area. Affordable. (15 euros but they charged 12 euros each for the eight of us). It included the boat to the town below Oia, the bus up to Oia, the bus back to Fira. Be sure to leave plenty of time for the cable car down to the port again. We waited an hour and a half and not many ships in port. The cable car costs 6 euros.

We have oft posted that the cable car can only handle a maximum of 600 persons per hour (in each direction). Consider a 3000 person cruise ship that schedules its last tender at 4pm. Most folks will head over to the cable car after 2:30. If you have 2500 trying to get down it would take about 4 hours! And now you know why many ships have to delay their departure from Santorini.

Hank

P.S. Ships will usually station a representative at the upper cable car station to monitor the situation in the afternoon. We have never known of a ship that departed while they had passengers still waiting in the cable car queue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were in Santorini last month. We took the "speed boat" to Oia.

We were disappointed in the trip.

First, it doesn't take just 10 minutes, it is at least 20 minutes. Once we arrived at the Oia port, we had to wait offshore for our turn to dock. This took another 20-30 minutes.

In order to get to their bus (it is a large, commercial bus), we had to walk halfway up the hill to a parking area that could handle the large bus.

So our ship docked at 2pm, it took us about 1 hour for our turn to get on a tender to take us to the port at Fira.

So we didn't get to Oia until 4:30pm, at the earliest.

They did provide a bus to take us back to Fira. Only issue here is that it is poorly marked. There is a large tour bus parking area and we had to wander around with our return ticket asking drivers if they knew where our bus was. We did find it and get back to Fira where we had dinner and watched the sunset.

The cable car line was very long so we walked down to the port to get our tender back to the ship.

We did this at the end of June and also experienced some confusion, pushing and crowding. The boat ride was nice when we finally left (no need for reservations - buy your ticket from the boat that is loading/leaving first), but we also had to trek a bit up the hill to get onto the bus. 5 cruise ships and almost 10,000 tourists is too much for any port.clear.png?emoji-frown-1741

The cable car line was about 2 hours long, so we elected to walk down which was not bad and took about 30+ minutes. The donkeys look like mules to this one time farm boy - watch your step!

We'd love to go back to Santorini and rent a house or stay in a resort, but never again on a cruise ship.

July 2008

Ours was only ship on line but tendering was very slow (issue with NCL staff mismanagement, not the tenders from Sanorini port)

Speedboat was great option (even with shortish queues for cable car)

15 Euro per person.

There were two competing companies at the tender dock. Both were claiming that their boat is leaving soon ("soon" took a while). They also lied that bus to Fira from Oia is hourly until 6 pm.

20 minute trip. No wait to get off.

Small steep hill (about 50-60 steps) to climb to reach bus.

More tickets were sold than what bus can carry. So few of us had to stand for the not-so-long ride to Oia parking area.

Bus parking area was chaotic. At the time of dropping pax at bus stop, driver announced that their "included bus" will stop running at 1 pm. (instead of promised 6 pm)

Finding bus was an issue as mentioned by others upthread. (In spite of only 1 ship in port, finding taxis was a challenege too)

Not much line at cable car as most pax were walking down which is not fun (donkey poop was not much of an issue but slippery stones was).