Oia ferry/bus question

Trish Traveler

I didn't expect this port to be so complicated, but have realized there are several options to get to Oia. My main question is if you take a ferry from the Fira tender port to Oia that includes the return bus, is that their bus or the regular public bus that people talk about going between Oia and Fira?

If it is their bus, do you get a return time and guaranteed seat to know you will get back to Fira?

And is the current going rate about 20 euros?

Are they operating pretty regularly, this will be October 2018?

And I understand the cable car down is 6 euros one way, is that correct?

Just trying to get it all clear, so I can compare organized tours vs. DIY.

Thanks.

I didn't expect this port to be so complicated, but have realized there are several options to get to Oia. My main question is if you take a ferry from the Fira tender port to Oia that includes the return bus, is that their bus or the regular public bus that people talk about going between Oia and Fira? It is their bus, not a public bus

If it is their bus, do you get a return time and guaranteed seat to know you will get back to Fira? Nope - line up and push your way onto the bus. 5 ships in port when we were there in June and they were overwhelmed by the numbers - it took a while to bring up extra busses.

And is the current going rate about 20 euros? 15 Euros each when we were there in June

Are they operating pretty regularly, this will be October 2018? There are two competing companies - buy your tickets from the one with the boat that looks the most full/ready to go.

And I understand the cable car down is 6 euros one way, is that correct? Yes

Just trying to get it all clear, so I can compare organized tours vs. DIY.

Thanks.

The cable car line was long for us - we chose to walk down, which took about 30+ minutes (look out for the donkeys).

If there are multiple ships in the day you are scheduled to be there, I would consider an organized tour. Good luck! :)

Boat to Oia helps with going to Oia part. But it is the return that is full of hassles (if things dont work out perfectly)

First of all, it is bit chaotic and local operators lie thorugh their teeth (they are nevetr going to see you again and everyone loves santorini and forget the negative aspects quickly.

We did walk down but recommend against it. Havent seen any post onthis forum about missing ship due to long lines at cable car. But have seen posts about sprained ankles/broken bones due to fall over occassional slippery black colored stone (even in very dry consition).

If this is first time to Santorini, find out how expensive is cheapest ship tour or check roll calls for group tour or if your party size is 4-6, might be worth doing your own taxi that gives you about 2 hours in Oia.

• 2 weeks later...

We had no trouble catching the bus back. It is not a public bus. We caught the last one (early afternoon) and there were only about 10 people on it. You get a lovely view of the island from the bus which is comfortable and air conditioned. It stops at the back of Fira, an interesting walk in to the main town of about 5 mins. We had no difficulties whatsoever (this was Oct last year).

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app