7-Day Cruise with nothing but the clothes on our back?

cxxviii

Has anyone ever done a 7-day cruise with nothing but what you're wearing and the necessary paperwork? We're a few weeks out from our Breakaway cruise and the thought of dragging winter and summer stuff from home, through multiple airports, NYC and then onto the cruise does not excite me. Can I buy a couple pairs of shorts, shirts, and bathroom supplies on the ship??

Any chance I can talk my wife into this strategy?? :) Advice welcome.

Has anyone ever done a 7-day cruise with nothing but what you're wearing and the necessary paperwork? We're a few weeks out from our Breakaway cruise and the thought of dragging winter and summer stuff from home, through multiple airports, NYC and then onto the cruise does not excite me. Can I buy a couple pairs of shorts, shirts, and bathroom supplies on the ship??

No, Yes, No.

I've actually been thinking about this. I'm a light packer and I'd like to be even more of a light packer. I found a dress that is a quick drying fabric and I was thinking about wearing a bathing suit, covering that with athletic gear, then the dress and wearing that on the flight to the cruise. I can launder all that stuff in the bathroom sink and let it dry overnight. I'd have to bring some undergarments, a scarf or two and probably one extra pair of shoes, but I could (in theory) wear that dress, bathing suit, or athletic gear everywhere and "pack" in a one gallon ziploc bag. I'd love to give that a try, but I don't know if my husband would be okay with that. I'm aiming to do our next cruise with a backpack and a 21" wheeled carry-on. Just to see if I can...

I've actually been thinking about this. I'm a light packer and I'd like to be even more of a light packer. I found a dress that is a quick drying fabric and I was thinking about wearing a bathing suit, covering that with athletic gear, then the dress and wearing that on the flight to the cruise. I can launder all that stuff in the bathroom sink and let it dry overnight. I'd have to bring some undergarments, a scarf or two and probably one extra pair of shoes, but I could (in theory) wear that dress, bathing suit, or athletic gear everywhere and "pack" in a one gallon ziploc bag. I'd love to give that a try, but I don't know if my husband would be okay with that. I'm aiming to do our next cruise with a backpack and a 21" wheeled carry-on. Just to see if I can...

I've managed to pack several suits, dress clothes and casual clothes into a very small carry on for a week's worth of work travel before. It's just a matter of strategy and tips like tying your sneakers around the luggage handle to take up less space. Good luck. For the cruise, I'll bring my "trunk.":D

You could also play a round of golf with just a 7 iron but why would you.

I think the difference is that my golf game would suffer with only a 7-iron. I'm not sure my cruise enjoyment would suffer due to lack of a particular shirt... (though again, perhaps my wife would disagree)

I've not done this. What are you planning on wearing? Winter clothes I presume?? The problem with this will just be that the types of clothes you can buy onboard aren't necessarily the type of clothes to attempt this with.

We did something similar recently. Nowhere close to that extreme but very light packing for a long trip where it was wash/wear/wash/wear.

Ideally you'll want light weight clothing (I used the wicking shirts they give you at a run and got a couple pairs of light weight shorts at outdoors stores...we also got a pair of the khakis with the zip off legs so the doubled as pants in the evening). The light weight stuff is the only thing that will dry fast enough to wear it the next day.

Btw, I don't recommend this considering you don't need much to begin with for a 7 day cruise, but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I usually bring a bunch of old clothes, old sandals, almost spent toiletries, etc and leave the crap in the cabin when I leave.

We did that one year at WDW with the kids! All of those rec sports shirts? Packed matching colors for each day, left them all behind.

We went on a 28 day cruise to Australia with 3 weeks after with only carry on! It can be done.

32 day Asia/Middle east plus one week after in Hong Kong....piece of cake, nothing but carry on. But, wearing only what you have on?? Not sure, but be sure to let us know if you do.

I am currently trying to down size to just a back pack. How about that? A few tshirts, shorts, undies, etc. You could do it and then won't have to worry about buying anything.

I don't think your wife will go for it, but my husband happily did. We have now traveled all over the world with just carry on. It is great. Good luck!

I don't know why you'd need winter AND summer clothes....

Winter clothes because they are only a few weeks away, and it still may be cold at home when they leave and come back. The winter clothes will be what they wear getting to and from the ship :D

Nice thread.

In a related note,

On a few cruises, I've taken clothes that with a tip and nod from our Cabin Steward,

I've left behind.

Why take home laundry?

Edited by $hip$hape

Why did you need to tip and nod to your cabin steward? I routinely do this on every vacation cruise or otherwise.

I just threw them in the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tell my cabin steward in advance. It's an extra bag of stuff for him to differ with.

The ship recycles.

Instead of throwing good clothes into the trash,

leave them for the crew.

I was told that crew in the engine room are to most welcome to all clothing.

BTW (I do throw underwear with skid marks in the trash).lol

Curious... why did you have to tell me "Sent from my iPhone" ?

Edited by $hip$hape

Really ???

Perhaps you can use this's strategy fo

It can be done. There apparently was a man on Jerome's (cruiseguys2009) last cruise who wore the same clothes all week. No one was ever able to explain why.

LOL. Sounds like it could be my husband. His entire wardrobe for the week consists of a collared black button down shirt, 1 pr black nice pants, 2 pr black sweatpants, 1 pr black shorts, 5 or 6 identical black pullover shirts, undies and maybe a second pair of shoes. I often wonder if when people see him they wonder if he showered or changed the entire week.....

To the OP

I am not sure about my first attempt at answering your post,so I will try again.

Really???

Perhaps you may want to try this strategy for yourself, but I am not sure that you can convince your wife.

My DH and I have sailed on the Breakaway from NYC twice in the past two years.

I found the clothing selection in the shops to be quite limited. Shopping for a change of clothes on the ship might not be as easy as you think. This may be especially so if you wear either a very small size or a very large size.

Good luck with your plan.

If you do cruise with such a limited wardrobe, please post the results of you packing (non-packing) plan.

While I don't think I would ever plan to do this I think I could make it work if it were necessary. It might even be kind of fun and I'd surely read a blog post about it if someone else did it. After all many people carefully pack and still find themselves without their luggage and belongings through no fault of their own.

I think I could make it work if it were necessary.

It might even be kind of fun and I'd surely read a blog post about it if someone else did it.

After all, many people carefully pack and still find themselves without their luggage

and belongings through no fault of their own.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMy_tnv05hS8YoILa1iceTmH7M6dursQK5fLBpYn91hvjs_83o