Pearl Christmas Cruise change

Nola26

Wow, wasn't expecting the Pearl to already make a change to the Christmas cruise itinerary, but got an email today. We are getting booted from Harvest Caye so we'll stop in Belize City instead.

I'm disappointed as the 1st time I went to Harvest Caye it was pretty much a rainout. I was looking forward to actually exploring and enjoying the island. I'll have to save that wish for another time.

We stopped in Belize City before and went to a resort in the jungle. I'll have to find a new excursion this time.

I'm not sad, as I will still spend Christmas in the Caribbean.

Belize City is also nice to explore on your own. Last time we went there we were going to try to walk to the bus station and take the bus to the zoo, but the farther we walked, the more reasonable the offers from the taxi drivers became and finally, maybe 3 blocks away from the port, someone made us an offer we couldn't refuse. It was something like $60 to drive 3 of us to the zoo, wait as long as we wanted, then drive us back. He charged us half up front and used that to get gas. We paid the other half when he dropped us back off at the port. I think I tipped him an additional $10.

The zoo is about 45 minutes away by taxi, the roads were all totally fine, and zoo admission is cheap, $15 adults/$5 kids. It is really more of an animal sanctuary than a zoo. They take rehabilitated jaguars that were injured in the wild.

Some people really like Harvest Caye, but it is just too sunny and man-made for me. Like GSC, but without the free drinks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

NCL said it was a berthing issue. I assume a bigger ship stays and Pearl is booted.

Yes, it is hard to complain about being anywhere in the Caribbean for Christmas when you live in the Northeast.

I have the shore credit so it will be a NCL trip. I am considering the zoo excursion, thanks for the endorsement. Seems like a nice combination of cool things to see and opportunity to put steps on the fitbit!

• 3 weeks later...

NCL changed the itinerary again and I hope it sticks. Harvest Caye is back and they added a Christmas present, Grand Cayman!

Grand Cayman is a new port for me, so very excited. Here is the revised itinerary

23rd Tampa departing at 3pm (was 4pm)

24th Sea

25th Harvest Caye

26th Costa Maya

27th Roatan

28th Georgetown, Grand Cayman

29th Sea

30th Tampa 6am....now I'm going to search for an earlier flight as return to Tampa is an hour earlier

This itinerary applies for these sailings: 12/23/18, 3/10/19 and 3/24/19

we loved the Stingray city in Grand Cayman. Go with a private operator. :)

Thanks, I will sail solo this time and have the NCL Shorex perk. I'll book all my excursions through NCL. Once they apply the credit and my Silver discount many excursions are very inexpensive or at no additional cost for me. I do often select one excursion that is a special treat with a higher price: Ziplining in the Roatan jungle, ATV ride in Costa Maya, etc. Perhaps I'll find that something special in Grand Cayman, I've not even started researching the options yet.

I have a family cruise (different ship and itinerary) and my nephew (teenager) would love something like a stingray excursion. I'll keep and eye out for something like that, thanks.

NCL changed the itinerary again and I hope it sticks. Harvest Caye is back and they added a Christmas present, Grand Cayman!

Grand Cayman is a new port for me, so very excited. Here is the revised itinerary

24th Sea

25th Harvest Caye

26th Costa Maya

27th Roatan

29th Sea

30th Tampa 6am....now I'm going to search for an earlier flight as return to Tampa is an hour earlier

Glad the change worked out well for you! I received notice of an itinerary change to the 3/17/19 sailing of the Pearl yesterday, which keeps all the original ports (Harvest Caye, Roatan, Costa Maya & Cozumel), but puts them in a different order. I'd love to know why two ships were booked to be at Harvest Caye in the first place, since the dock only accommodates one ship. Seems like this was something they should have figured out before releasing the itineraries originally.

24th Sea

25th Harvest Caye

26th Costa Maya

27th Roatan

29th Sea

Interesting. I am on the 3/10 and hadn’t heard about this yet. Assuming notification went to my travel agent and will be forwarded to me next week. Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a family cruise (different ship and itinerary) and my nephew (teenager) would love something like a stingray excursion. I'll keep and eye out for something like that, thanks.

it truly was a lot of fun and you get to feed them as well. We did a combination of Stingray city and snorkeling. We had never snorkeled before then and did just fine.

Wow, wasn't expecting the Pearl to already make a change to the Christmas cruise itinerary, but got an email today. We are getting booted from Harvest Caye so we'll stop in Belize City instead.

I'm disappointed as the 1st time I went to Harvest Caye it was pretty much a rainout. I was looking forward to actually exploring and enjoying the island. I'll have to save that wish for another time.

We stopped in Belize City before and went to a resort in the jungle. I'll have to find a new excursion this time.

I'm not sad, as I will still spend Christmas in the Caribbean.

Well, not to fear as they have already changed the itinerary again. Cozemel is now out, as is Belize City. Harvest Caye is back in and now George Town, Grand Caymen is the last stop. I am really excited about this! The change from Harvest Caye really ticked me off as Belize City looks absolutely horrible and we have never been to George Town. We were supposed to stop at George Town on a cruise with our kids several years ago but the seas were too choppy to tender people into the port. I think this is even better than the original itinerary!!:D(y)

Well, not to fear as they have already changed the itinerary again. Cozemel is now out, as is Belize City. Harvest Caye is back in and now George Town, Grand Caymen is the last stop. I am really excited about this! The change from Harvest Caye really ticked me off as Belize City looks absolutely horrible and we have never been to George Town. We were supposed to stop at George Town on a cruise with our kids several years ago but the seas were too choppy to tender people into the port. I think this is even better than the original itinerary!!:D(y)

I typed in the revision and didn't even realize that Cozumel had been eliminated, lol. I was so excited for GC and HC that I missed that detail. Cozumel is on lots of itineraries and I had a great stop at Passion Island last time, I'll be back there at some point.

Dec. 30, 2018 itinerary for the Pearl was changed (without any compensation) eliminating Harvest Caye (#1 NCL Destination in the Caribbean) to make room for the larger (mo' money) Breakaway out of New Orleans.That makes it a 40 minute tender ride each way into one of the worst crime areas in the Caribbean (check Cruise Critic review for Belize City) versus a 5 minute walk to a free safe and secure beach, kids play area and wonderful pool where you don't have to worry about being robbed by bandits.

Dec. 30, 2018 itinerary for the Pearl was changed (without any compensation) eliminating Harvest Caye (#1 NCL Destination in the Caribbean) to make room for the larger (mo' money) Breakaway out of New Orleans.That makes it a 40 minute tender ride each way into one of the worst crime areas in the Caribbean (check Cruise Critic review for Belize City) versus a 5 minute walk to a free safe and secure beach, kids play area and wonderful pool where you don't have to worry about being robbed by bandits.

OK,well NCL doesn't owe us for itinerary changes, if when they're disappointing. There are some wonderful NCL excursions in Belize City. I hope you consider one or enjoy an empty ship for the day.

why would they offer any compensation? :confused: