My list of places to visit in Singapore

Widebay

My friend stayed at the Singapore YMCA, its a regular hotel but very reasonable, and a good location.

http://www.ymcaih.com.sg/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294265-d310344-Reviews-YMCA_One_Orchard-Singapore.html

We have stayed in Singapore several times and at different hotels but we have decided to stay at the Peninsular -Excelsior Hotel again in the Peninsular tower which is more modern than the Excelsior where we stayed our first time there. It is close to the City Hall MRT and lots of food courts. Singapore is easy to negotiate and we will be organising EZ link cards for travel on the MRt which is very efficient and so easy to use.

For those cruisers looking for places to visit in Singapore, here is my list, most of which I have visited, and others yet to visit.

* Artscience Museum at Marina Bay Sands

* National Museum of Singapore

* Battle Box in Fort Canning Park

* Mint Museum of Toys (26 Seah Street)

* Changi Museum

* Army Museum of Singapore, Upper Jurong Road

* Singapore Discovery Centre (good for children)

* Marina Barrage

* NeWater Visitors Centre

* Royal Selangor Pewter Centre.

* Sentosa Island

* Singapore Cable Car Ride (from Harbourfront)

* Singapore Flyer

* Cruise on bum boat on Singapore River

* $1 ice cream from vendor near bridge (Clarke Quay) - threw this one in as he is my favourite ice cream vendor.

* Butterfly Park & Insect Kingdom on Sentosa Island

* Stand up paddle board hire at Silosa Beach (Sentosa)

* Stand up paddle board hire at East Coast Parkway (near Big Splash)

* Singapore Botanical Gardens (a must for orchid lovers & lovers of Heliconians & gingers)

* Jurong Bird Park, Singapore Zoo, and Night Safari

* Underwater World, Sentosa (this is a MUST for lovers of fish, corals etc)

* Chinatown Heritage Centre

* Tiger Beer Brewery (for the beer lovers)

* Palua Ubin Island (cycling)

* Asian Civilisation Museum

* Bukit Brown Chinese Cemetary

* MacRitchie Reservoir or Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (great for walking in the last rainforest areas on Singapore Island)

* Raffles Hotel & Chimes shops - have a singapore sling at Raffles or coffee/cake in their Cafe.

* Lastly, for the ladies - Orchard Road (shopping) - and finish off your busy shopping day with a nice lunch in Goodwood Park Hotel (lovely old fashioned Hotel, with lots of ambiance)....happy shopping ladies.

I think Haw Par Villa should be added to this list. What a bizarre fascinating place that tells stories of Chinese Folklaw using statues , carvings and figurines. It's right near Haw Par Villa MRT station and free entry.

At Raffles you dont just buy a Singapore Sling , or Take High Tea , you are buying the atmosphere of the bygone days of the British colonial era.

When we first visited Singapore, Raffles was an abandoned derelict building boarded up with plywood....to visit and see it today is a treasure.

I concur and to dine and stay there is truly an expensive experience haha...just kidding and yes I had dine there on many occasions. :)

I think Haw Par Villa should be added to this list. What a bizarre fascinating place that tells stories of Chinese Folklaw using statues , carvings and figurines. It's right near Haw Par Villa MRT station and free entry.

Yes and I had recommended in other threads. :)

I don't know if it still exists, but the Singapore Zoo at Night is amazing!! We have been several times. Many of the animals are nocturnal and they don't even know you are there!!!

:)

Yup the Night Safari is still around with the Zoological Gardens and River Safari. A few years down the road the Bird Park will also be relocated there. :)

• 3 months later...

Could someone tell me if you took the HoHo and didn't get off, how long would the trip take? Is it a loop? Would it fill the whole day with stops? (I recognize it will depend on how long you stay off at certain stops) I think this is a great idea. What stops would you recommend to get off at? We'll be there Dec 8 for 2 days.

Thank you your help,

Kathleen

Could someone tell me if you took the HoHo and didn't get off, how long would the trip take? Is it a loop? Would it fill the whole day with stops? (I recognize it will depend on how long you stay off at certain stops) I think this is a great idea. What stops would you recommend to get off at? We'll be there Dec 8 for 2 days.

Thank you your help,

Kathleen

Hi, the HoHo all start and finish from Suntec City close to Esplanade MRT stop, there are four routes, red, blue, yellow and brown which cover alternative routes, they vary in length between 40 mins and 1 hour.

If you research your things to do in Singapore you can plan your day accordingly.

We travelled with Singapore Airlines and they were offering a promotion of 50% discount against the normal price of $S39.95 per day showing boarding card which was a good saving.

Trust this assists, anything else you require help with please request.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, the HoHo all start and finish from Suntec City close to Esplanade MRT stop, there are four routes, red, blue, yellow and brown which cover alternative routes, they vary in length between 40 mins and 1 hour.

If you research your things to do in Singapore you can plan your day accordingly.

We travelled with Singapore Airlines and they were offering a promotion of 50% discount against the normal price of $S39.95 per day showing boarding card which was a good saving.

Thank you! Very helpful. I will definitely do my research on the different routes. Sounds like you could do a couple of them during the day.

Thanks so much for this info. We are heading to Singapore next week the day before our cruise and are intending to take the HOHO. You have just made it a lot cheaper for us :D

We stayed 5 nights in Singapore pre cruise and purchased the Singapore Tourist Pass which allows a pre determined amount of days unlimited use of the fantastic MRT system and bus service ( 3 days was $S20 and $S10 refundable card deposit), we pretty much exhausted most of the must do things we targeted during the three days, so we thought we would sweep up our visit of Singapore by using the HOHO on our last full day, we managed the red, yellow and blue routes with multiple stops, on the same day, the English headphone commentary is very useful and there are some free walking tours included in the ticket price and attraction discounts as well.

We stayed 5 nights in Singapore pre cruise and purchased the Singapore Tourist Pass which allows a pre determined amount of days unlimited use of the fantastic MRT system and bus service ( 3 days was $S20 and $S10 refundable card deposit), we pretty much exhausted most of the must do things we targeted during the three days, so we thought we would sweep up our visit of Singapore by using the HOHO on our last full day, we managed the red, yellow and blue routes with multiple stops, on the same day, the English headphone commentary is very useful and there are some free walking tours included in the ticket price and attraction discounts as well.

Great! Thank you! I'm glad to hear there was plenty of time to do multiple stops and lines. We lived in HK for 3 years and I'm pretty comfortable with MTR. Just so I'm clear, the HoHo bus was included in the MTR/bus pass? Where did you buy the pass?

Thanks for your help!

Kathleen

Edited by ceba

Great! Thank you! I'm glad to hear there was plenty of time to multiple stops. We lived in HK for 3 years and I'm pretty comfortable with MTR. So just so I'm clear, the HoHo bus was included in the MTR/bus pass? Where did you buy the pass?

Thanks for your help!

Kathleen

Hi, no the HOHO is additional to Singapore Tourist Pass.

• 3 weeks later...
No replies, no interest - I shouldn't put these information postings up on Cruise Critic, unless someone asks for it.

Don't feel badly. I read your post and I am visisting Singapore next week.

Thanks for the list!!!!

Elaine

• 1 year later...
For those cruisers looking for places to visit in Singapore, here is my list, most of which I have visited, and others yet to visit.

* Artscience Museum at Marina Bay Sands

* National Museum of Singapore

* Battle Box in Fort Canning Park

* Mint Museum of Toys (26 Seah Street)

* Changi Museum

* Army Museum of Singapore, Upper Jurong Road

* Singapore Discovery Centre (good for children)

* Marina Barrage

* NeWater Visitors Centre

* Royal Selangor Pewter Centre.

* Sentosa Island

* Singapore Cable Car Ride (from Harbourfront)

* Singapore Flyer

* Cruise on bum boat on Singapore River

* $1 ice cream from vendor near bridge (Clarke Quay) - threw this one in as he is my favourite ice cream vendor.

* Butterfly Park & Insect Kingdom on Sentosa Island

* Stand up paddle board hire at Silosa Beach (Sentosa)

* Stand up paddle board hire at East Coast Parkway (near Big Splash)

* Singapore Botanical Gardens (a must for orchid lovers & lovers of Heliconians & gingers)

* Jurong Bird Park, Singapore Zoo, and Night Safari

* Underwater World, Sentosa (this is a MUST for lovers of fish, corals etc)

* Chinatown Heritage Centre

* Tiger Beer Brewery (for the beer lovers)

* Palua Ubin Island (cycling)

* Asian Civilisation Museum

* Bukit Brown Chinese Cemetary

* MacRitchie Reservoir or Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (great for walking in the last rainforest areas on Singapore Island)

* Raffles Hotel & Chimes shops - have a singapore sling at Raffles or coffee/cake in their Cafe.

* Lastly, for the ladies - Orchard Road (shopping) - and finish off your busy shopping day with a nice lunch in Goodwood Park Hotel (lovely old fashioned Hotel, with lots of ambiance)....happy shopping ladies.

Would you be able to recommend a good day spa in Singapore?

Thank you!

I get into Singapore at 8am embarkation day and leave 10pm disembarkation day so i booked the: Disembark Excursion 6 hours

- Photo stop at Mount Faber

- 1 hr Visit National Orchid Garden

- City drive including Orchard Road to Merlion Park for a photo stop

- 30m visit of Little India area in Singapore

- 1.5 hr for Chinese lunch served family style

- 30m Chinatown area of Singapore

What do you suggest for the day I get there? Figure I'll have 4-6 free hours

Personally, I am hoping to get to the Gardens by the Sea. Also to go/eat at one of the hawker centers. And do a short tour on a bumboat. Think they are under an hour. I have been googling singapore day excursions to see what it being offered. We have 3 days after cruise.

Personally, I am hoping to get to the Gardens by the Sea. Also to go/eat at one of the hawker centers. And do a short tour on a bumboat. Think they are under an hour. I have been googling singapore day excursions to see what it being offered. We have 3 days after cruise.

Not possible to do Gardens by the Bay, hawker centres, take a bum all under an hour. There is a Hawker Centre, Satay Club near Gardens by the Bay (walking distance) and for Bum Boat rides is at another location.

I get into Singapore at 8am embarkation day and leave 10pm disembarkation day so i booked the: Disembark Excursion 6 hours

- Photo stop at Mount Faber

- 1 hr Visit National Orchid Garden

- City drive including Orchard Road to Merlion Park for a photo stop

- 30m visit of Little India area in Singapore

- 1.5 hr for Chinese lunch served family style

- 30m Chinatown area of Singapore

What do you suggest for the day I get there? Figure I'll have 4-6 free hours

You booked a tour for those? Depending on whats your interest, I would suggest Gardens by the Bay (near Marina Bay Cruise Centre), try local food at Satay Club(walking distance from Gardens by the Bay). You can go to China Town by the SMRT line.

You booked a tour for those? Depending on whats your interest, I would suggest Gardens by the Bay (near Marina Bay Cruise Centre), try local food at Satay Club(walking distance from Gardens by the Bay). You can go to China Town by the SMRT line.
umm yes? Thing is that I can drop luggage with pier embarkation day but what would I do with it disembark day? Flight is at 10pm (desperately wanted NS to SFO) and tour is $99 ... wide open to suggestions

Thing is that I can drop luggage with pier embarkation day but what would I do with it disembark day?

Two options assuming you are at Marina Bay cruise centre.

Left luggage, BUT it is only open while a cruise ship is berthed. SGD 9 per item.

Bag transfer to Changi. They will meet you at your terminal 3 hrs before your flight departure.

SGD 22 per item.

Details on the MBCC website.

Two options assuming you are at Marina Bay cruise centre.

Left luggage, BUT it is only open while a cruise ship is berthed. SGD 9 per item.

Bag transfer to Changi. They will meet you at your terminal 3 hrs before your flight departure.

SGD 22 per item.

Details on the MBCC website.

:)thanks! :)

umm yes? Thing is that I can drop luggage with pier embarkation day but what would I do with it disembark day? Flight is at 10pm (desperately wanted NS to SFO) and tour is $99 ... wide open to suggestions

Check the links.

https://www.mbccs.com.sg/inside-mbccs/shops-services

https://www.mbccs.com.sg/component/content/article?id=29