Pride of America Balcony Cabin - Port or Starboard?

Tarheel_Cruiser

I would say Port side is preferable. The volcano is best seen from starboard but that’s so brief. Na Pali is a bit longer, and sail away from Kauai is quite nice too from the Port side. Other than that, you will mostly be sailing after sundown anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sailed October/November 2016 in a port side Penthouse suite. Port side would be the way I would go when we do it again. You will get the most exposure to the NaPali coastline. We simply viewed the lava flow from a public deck on the starboard side. It was a late sail by and the duration was only about 20 minutes. Either way, it's Hawaii and you are going to have a fabulous time.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on deck 10, starboard aft. For the Napali Coast you are better off going on the upper decks on port side. The ship goes slowly along the coast along with someone doing a narration of the coast.

As some one said, the ship travels at night so view the other coasts are limited. Having balcony is awesome.

• 5 months later...

First time cruiser - So confirm for me, please, is 10096 a port side or starboard? Diagram looks like starboard.

Everyone seems to say port for the Napoli coast, what do you see the rest of the time and what do you see from the starboard side anytime other than Napoli? Thanks!

First time cruiser - So confirm for me, please, is 10096 a port side or starboard? Diagram looks like starboard.

Everyone seems to say port for the Napoli coast, what do you see the rest of the time and what do you see from the starboard side anytime other than Napoli? Thanks!

Cabin 10096 is STARBOARD mid-ship

When the POA departs the port of Nawiliwili (island of Kauai) it travels to the north passing by the Lihue airport -

Wailua - Anahola - turning westerly past the Kilauea Light house - Princeville - Hanalei - then turning southwest

with the PORT side having first viewing of the Na Pali coast - the POA then makes a wide turn and the STARBOARD side has an opportunity to view the cliffs.

Depending on the time of the year and the schedule sunset makes for some great photography - see the

attachment picture in the previous post #4 by Flatbush Flyer.

Have those cameras videos cell phones tablets out and click away for similar photos although at sea level.

The POA then returns along the north side of Kauai and makes a slow course for the next day am arrival at

Honolulu

LINK to satellite image of the Island of Kauai:

https://www.google.com/maps/@22.0741997,-159.4716502,59363m/data=!3m1!1e3

Zoom in or out for more or less detail

I would say Port side is preferable. The volcano is best seen from starboard but that’s so brief. Na Pali is a bit longer, and sail away from Kauai is quite nice too from the Port side. Other than that, you will mostly be sailing after sundown anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And if there's no lava flowing into the sea, the POA sails north-around the Big Island anyway, with the port side facing the coast. But again, that sailing, like most others on the cruise, occurs overnight.

The link below from the U.S. Park Service tells you the current conditions of the volcano and if there's lava flowing into the sea or not.

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm