Japan on Celebrity Millennium - Review, infos and loads of pics

Miaminice

JAPAN ON CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM

Join us on this cruise to Japan, South Korea and China on the beautiful Millennium.

It certainly ranks among the top three of our cruises. Ultramodern cities, 1000 year old temples - what a mix...

Sit back, relax, click on the link and travel to beautiful Japan with us:

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

• Like 1

Absolutely wonderful review, took me a couple of hours to absorb it all. So many memories and I so totally agree with your thoughts on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

We were there on the anniversary Aug 6, 2015. My sister and friend were invited to participate in the memorial service at 8.15 am they each held a flag of different countries as a prayer for peace around the world was said. They were to wave the flag as the country was mentioned. We spent the day and later in the evening was a procession of thousands of decorated lanterns floating down the river. Most of the lanterns were decorated by local school children.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your review was wonderful. I have one question. Did I read correctly that a Visa for Shanghai is not necessary? We are doing Celebrity Millennium in October (Japan, South Korea and China). Our travel agent said we needed a Visa.

Your review was wonderful. I have one question. Did I read correctly that a Visa for Shanghai is not necessary? We are doing Celebrity Millennium in October (Japan, South Korea and China). Our travel agent said we needed a Visa.

Thank you!

It depends on your itinerary. Shanghai has a visa free transit rule. It can be applied if you arrive in Shanghai from another country than China, stay less than 144 hours within the region of Shanghai and leave directly to a third country (e.g. direct flight home).

As I said, it depends on the itinerary. On the cruise subject of the review we did not require a visa. On a cruise after that we did.

Many people on this cruise received incorrect information from the TAs or even Celebrity directly. So I recommend you to closely look at the transit rule and see if it applies to your itinerary.

If you tell me the date of your cruise, I can take a look at the itinerary.

Thank you for all of that information. We are not staying in Shanghai, We are going straight to the airport and then home to New York. Our trip is from October 13 to October 27. Would you mind letting me know if we need one and also where to look, Thank you.

Thank you for all of that information. We are not staying in Shanghai, We are going straight to the airport and then home to New York. Our trip is from October 13 to October 27. Would you mind letting me know if we need one and also where to look, Thank you.

Then the visa exception can be applied... I have no daubt.

The itinerary is basically the same as ours in regards of the sequence of counties visited.

The transit exception is based on a three country rule:

You are sailing from South Korea (country A) to Shanghai (country B) and leave to the US (country C) within the time frame.

Unless your flight has no stop within China you will not require a visa (unless there´s something I don´t see or you are citizen of a nation to which the rule does not apply).

You can find some information here

http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4414

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-transit-144hour.htm

Edited by Miaminice

Loved this Asian review!! Very nicely done, informative and great pictures. I'll be going to many of these places in 6 months on a world cruise....can't wait! Lots of our tours or places we had decided to see were in your report, so this gave me a little preview. Thanks for your hard work. Glad you had a good time. :D

• 4 weeks later...

:)

Fabulous!

Join us on this cruise to Japan, South Korea and China on the beautiful Millennium.

It certainly ranks among the top three of our cruises. Ultramodern cities, 1000 year old temples - what a mix...

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

We are on the same cruise and heading directly back to the US as well. However, our flight doesn't leave until about 5pm so we have time to kill in Shanghai (we've been previously). Since we don't want to hassle with our luggage, we did sign up for the ship's transfer with a city "tour" to the airport to help pass the time and revisit the Sky Tower. I had previously believed our itinerary worked for visa free, but was having a hard time getting written confirmation from Celebrity. However, just recently I saw in writing, on the Celebrity site, an apparent confirmation of this. They say you must take their tour to be visa free, but I wouldn't think that's the case. That's just them pushing their tours. We were going to take their tour anyway, so it worked out for us. It was just good to see it in writing by Celebrity.

They say you must take their tour to be visa free, but I wouldn't think that's the case. That's just them pushing their tours.

And you are correct!

The transit regulation have nothing to do with cruises or Celebrity or booked tours...

As long as the factors apply (three country rule), you could go ride a bike. As long as you do it less than 144 hours, you are fine :D

:D

We visited Japan last year on the Celebrity Millennium (our first cruise with Celebrity) and frankly were disappointed. The ship is old and looks tired. There was no coin operated laundry ($$$$). On a 2 week cruise, they ran out of shrimp, hot dogs and iced tea. Perhaps other items as well. If this ship is representative of Celebrity, we’ll gladly stick with Princess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We visited Japan last year on the Celebrity Millennium (our first cruise with Celebrity) and frankly were disappointed. The ship is old and looks tired. There was no coin operated laundry ($$$$). On a 2 week cruise, they ran out of shrimp, hot dogs and iced tea. Perhaps other items as well. If this ship is representative of Celebrity, we’ll gladly stick with Princess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1. Never on more than 20 cruises have we encountered this kind of problems.

2. We had no problems with Millennium. And we even cruised again on her after this cruise. However, she is scheduled for the Revolution Program in Spring 2019 and will be brandnew after.

3. Coin laundries were never present on Celebrity (fine with me). That’s no secret. Easy to find out before the cruise.

Thank you for such a wonderful review, and delightful photos. We are intending a train tour and cruise next March to Japan, 20 days in total, so loved reading your review. Thank you so much for the time you take to give so much information.