Brilliance or independence of the seas?

I'm torn between the Brilliance, which does a 4 night out of Tampa, and a 5 night on the Independence. We live in NY, so plan to fly in the day before. Therefore, the 4 night actually works better as we don't want to be gone too long from the kids. But the Brillance looks kind of old and boring. I looked at pictures on cruise critic and the ship seems very dated. The Independence looks much more updated with cool features like the ice show, laser tag, and cantilevered hot tubs.

My husband and I are looking for a short cruise in January while my in-laws watch our 2 year old twins. We have about 10 cruises under our belt. We have mainly cruised celebrity and love the S-class ships, but have done rccl (Serenade of the seas), princess (Grand), NCL (Breakway), and Carnival (Valor). We are looking to try something new! I tend to be disappointed with older ships (Grand Princess two years ago was a little disappointing). I love a special feature on a ship, such as the lawn on the celebrity ships, or the dueling pianos and improv club on NCL. Specialty restaurants are not important to us, as we typically find the included food to be fine (except on NCL).

Does Independence feel more updated? Is the Brillance really as old as it looks in the pictures? Any cruise is a good cruise, but I'm really torn about this decision. The Brillance cruise works better for us, I'm just worried that there seems to be nothing exciting about the ship and I will be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

If you have done Serenade then you know what to expect from Brilliance. I am just off Independence and have written a very thorough review of the activities but it is not published yet.

I would say, the laser tag is ok. Quite a long boring wait in the dark for it and then 7 minutes of reasonable fun but not amazing. The ice show was brilliant and if you have not seen one then maybe it would be worth trying Independence for that? The hot tubs with the views looked amazing. Often quite full but there were quieter times. I had kids with me so couldn't try them.

Independence also has the new waterslides and trampolines. The waterslides are really good, trampolines less so. There are around 100 new cabins. I can't compare before and after but there were quite a lot of people everywhere. When I was on Serenade it didn't feel like that.

If you haven't been on a ship with the Royal Prominade, flow rider or an ice rink then maybe you should give Independence a try? Personally I think I preferred Radiance class but with the kids there was more to do in Independence. Depends if you want to do lots of activities or have a more serene time.

I'm torn between the Brilliance, which does a 4 night out of Tampa, and a 5 night on the Independence. We live in NY, so plan to fly in the day before. Therefore, the 4 night actually works better as we don't want to be gone too long from the kids. But the Brillance looks kind of old and boring. I looked at pictures on cruise critic and the ship seems very dated. The Independence looks much more updated with cool features like the ice show, laser tag, and cantilevered hot tubs.

My husband and I are looking for a short cruise in January while my in-laws watch our 2 year old twins. We have about 10 cruises under our belt. We have mainly cruised celebrity and love the S-class ships, but have done rccl (Serenade of the seas), princess (Grand), NCL (Breakway), and Carnival (Valor). We are looking to try something new! I tend to be disappointed with older ships (Grand Princess two years ago was a little disappointing). I love a special feature on a ship, such as the lawn on the celebrity ships, or the dueling pianos and improv club on NCL. Specialty restaurants are not important to us, as we typically find the included food to be fine (except on NCL).

Does Independence feel more updated? Is the Brillance really as old as it looks in the pictures? Any cruise is a good cruise, but I'm really torn about this decision. The Brillance cruise works better for us, I'm just worried that there seems to be nothing exciting about the ship and I will be disappointed.

I think that you have talked yourself into the Independence.

You NEED and DESERVE that vacation away from the twins! Your parents will be fine. :)

Sorry, I got my "s" ships confused. We were on Splendor of the Seas in 2011. I remember thinking "this ship seems old". At that time it was about 15 years old. We were cruising Europe, so we had a great time as the ship was just fine and a good way to get around the Greek islands, and we were so focused on the shore excursions not the ship. On this short cruise, we would only have one stop, cozumel, so we will focus more on the ship. So with brilliance being about 15 years old now, I'm worried I'll be similarly unimpressed with her. Is the brilliance really as old seeming as I have it in my mind?

Sorry, I got my "s" ships confused. We were on Splendor of the Seas in 2011. I remember thinking "this ship seems old". At that time it was about 15 years old. We were cruising Europe, so we had a great time as the ship was just fine and a good way to get around the Greek islands, and we were so focused on the shore excursions not the ship. On this short cruise, we would only have one stop, cozumel, so we will focus more on the ship. So with brilliance being about 15 years old now, I'm worried I'll be similarly unimpressed with her. Is the brilliance really as old seeming as I have it in my mind?

Let's focus on you ....

So you're young'ish with twins,say mid 30's? Consider the largest issue with complaints on this forum are unrealistic expectations.... you're expectations are already newer, bigger, more "stuff" to do, more technology, more bells and whistles... the cruise itself (sitting watching the ocean, pool deck, enjoying peace on your balcony, etc) isn't good enough. Again, here you should book Indy hands down.

Brilliance (all Radiance Class ships) have the smallest pool deck of all Royal Caribbean ships.

For the Caribbean, in my humble opinion, I feel Radiance Class ships are the bottom tier ship compared to all others that Royal Caribbean offer. Again, here book Indy.

And then right from your first post as Merion_Mom already said, you're already convincing yourself of Indy.

Don't go on Brilliance worrying and being disappointed that you're vacation sucked... go on Indy with your high expectations full of excitement as you walk up that gangway!!! Reward yourself... Plus it's 5 nights instead of 4.... always better :D

Independence has just been refurbished with lots of new features.

The Royal Promenade is a big plus too.

We say Independence is best.

I have been on Brilliance twice and Indy once......If they were both 5 nights might be a tougher call...but the 5 nights plus the extras on Indy that sounds like you are interested in so it leans towards Indy I would say.

That being said..I never found Brilliance to seem old or dated and its a great ship..but Indy has that bigger ship appeal for sure.

6305 already taken for the date we were considering but thanks for the tip!

I'm still pretty torn between the two ships. I know I will like the Indy more as a ship, but as far a the vacation experience, the Brilliance may still win as I'm really much more comfortable being gone a 4 night cruise rather than the 5 night. Hearing that several people like the Brilliance is good!

Questions like your original one are times when I like when people put their cruise history in their signatures. Based on a couple of your posts, I recommend Independance knowing Brilliance or a ship like it will always be there. I could have a great time on either.

Questions like your original one are times when I like when people put their cruise history in their signatures. Based on a couple of your posts, I recommend Independance knowing Brilliance or a ship like it will always be there. I could have a great time on either.
We have been on Brilliance twice and Independence twice.

Both ships are lovely but facilities for kids on the refurbished Independence are much better.IMG_20180528_145338.thumb.jpg.721c85fb77531a46bd63e6033aad2afb.jpg

IMG_20180529_114857.thumb.jpg.acd2f9e2217979862eb47e165d313580.jpg

Your post made me look at the Indy, which I didn't realize was here for the winter. We had Brilliance booked for this upcoming February. I made the change and am looking forward to all this ship has to offer. We have previously been on Jewel but like the big ships better.

Disclaimer...I've not sailed either ship...only sister ships in the same class. I'd also go with Indy. We enjoyed Serenade (Brilliance sister) but felt like we didn't have as many good adult evening things to do. We ended up back in the cabin by 10:00 or earlier several nights. That's not necessarily a bad thing as we got more rest than usual. We also missed the Promenade. I'm generally a newer is better guy with most things in life (except my wife) so that biases my opinion.

I'd also suggest forcing yourself to take the extra day. I know you're reluctant to leave your kids that long but I'm sure they will be fine with your parents and you deserve the vacation. Being better rested and refreshed will make you a better parent. :D