Anyone been on a cruise where it rained every day? Leaving on the Valor on Thursday

TxStacey

I am far from a newbie..this will be my 17th cruise and my 4th from Galveston in September..so I'm well aware that it's hurricane season and that it could rain everyday. I have been extremely fortunate to have had great weather on every cruise. So my question is, what has been your experience with programming etc. if it rains everyday?

Edited by TxStacey

I am far from a newbie..this will be my 17th cruise and my 4th from Galveston in September..so I'm well aware that it's hurricane season and that it could rain everyday. I have been extremely fortunate to have had great weather on every cruise. So my question is, what has been your experience with programming etc. if it rains everyday?

Never been on a cruise (out of 27) where it rained every day. Does however bring up the point on why we love to cruise. At a land resort what do you do on a rainy afternoon? Watch General Hospital? On a cruise ship, whether you are at sea or at a port there are lots if things to do. Just reading a book in the library is a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

Never been on a cruise (out of 27) where it rained every day. Does however bring up the point on why we love to cruise. At a land resort what do you do on a rainy afternoon? Watch General Hospital? On a cruise ship, whether you are at sea or at a port there are lots if things to do. Just reading a book in the library is a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

One can't read a book in the library at a land resort?;)

We also have been fortunate and the good thing about most islands is that rain tends to be a passing thing and is over quickly.

We have! We went during a hurricane one year and I have to say, it was one of the most relaxing cruises we have ever been on. It's awesome to find an outdoor area underneath a deck or in the serenity area and curl up with a book. There were times it wasn't raining here and there but it was still a really nice cruise. Just take ponchos or an umbrella to the islands and you will not have to fight crowds or be too hot. We are getting ready to go in 3 weeks and I'm not worried at all if it rains. We will still be on vacation :) They can still do a lot on the ship if it's raining. You definitely will not have a problem with chogs haha.

We have! We went during a hurricane one year and I have to say, it was one of the most relaxing cruises we have ever been on. It's awesome to find an outdoor area underneath a deck or in the serenity area and curl up with a book. There were times it wasn't raining here and there but it was still a really nice cruise. Just take ponchos or an umbrella to the islands and you will not have to fight crowds or be too hot. We are getting ready to go in 3 weeks and I'm not worried at all if it rains. We will still be on vacation :) They can still do a lot on the ship if it's raining. You definitely will not have a problem with chogs haha.

Thanks so much! I love your attitude and that's how I feel. It is what it is and there's nothing that I can do to change it. One of my favorite things to do on a cruise is lay by the pool and watch people and read. I am just going to have to adjust my expectations. The forecast is not looking good for our cruise at all...just hoping for a little sun:)

Thanks so much! I love your attitude and that's how I feel. It is what it is and there's nothing that I can do to change it. One of my favorite things to do on a cruise is lay by the pool and watch people and read. I am just going to have to adjust my expectations. The forecast is not looking good for our cruise at all...just hoping for a little sun:)

A good attitude goes a long way! You will have a wonderful time. I'm a people watcher and love to chill and read my book so my cruise would never be ruined by a little rain. I always think of how many people would kill to even be able to go on a cruise and am thankful I am able to be on one. As you said, it is what it is. Have a wonderful time!!

<3

The inside venues will be extra crowded I remember that.

The promendage thing outside the 4js, around deck 5? i forget but was booked in one and they locked the doors so you couldnt go out onto that area in front which is a quiet area to watch from. Lot of good it did me to get a 4j.

Im not sure it rained every day, but i remember we tried for a hour to get into a port and they gave up. headwind in addition to the rain.

Promenade deck will be really crowded lol, thats mostly what i remember.

I watched Avatar as a movies under the stars ... in the rain. I wanted to see the movie and we put towels over our heads that night. I felt sorry for the bar guys up on Lido deck.

Last Dec was my coldest ever cruise, about the 2nd week in Dec. Miami was a high of 45, and it was in the 60s the morning we boarded the tender to Belize. I was glad i didnt book a water excursion. All the water excursions in Cozumel were cancelled, and Mahogany Bay wasnt much fun in the cold.

i think that cold snap was worse than the rain tbh.

.... but what are you going to do? lol.

Ive been thinking Im glad im not scheduled for eastern Caribbean this week, i bet we have a lot come back upset about their cruises this week. Just seems to happen after a hurricane.

Last year’s Alaska cruise it rained almost every day. Things were moved or rescheduled. At least you’ll get a warm rain.

Hang your wets on a few heavy duty magnetic hooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I took carnival to alaska a few years back and they said the day we ported in whatever port it is where they have that natl park with the glacier, they said was the rainiest day the whole summer.

I thought about it for a while and then decided i didnt care how bad i looked. I put on a poncho i had brought and walked to that waterfall where you can see the rocky shore of the waterfall and the glacier is right in front of you, about 1 mile each way.

i said well i will start walking and if i decide its too much i can turn around, but i just walked and did it. thought i might never be back, i should just do it, even if i looked god awful in my poncho, those things are NOT flattering.

luckily the day before when the ship goes up close to another glacier was a spectacular day.

While we have not been subject to bad weather everyday, our experience is that the on board entertainment seldom changes with the weather or most other things that impact itinerary.

This goes for all of the lines we’ve sailed, one noteworthy exception was on RCCL out of Galveston when Grand Cayman got washed out on Thanksgiving. The CD and his staff threw a spur of the moment Cowboys football party in studio B that was most memorable.

But when the weather is poor it’s an opportunity to do the things on the schedule you’ve never done and sometimes that ends up being a pleasant surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have learned not to pay too much attention to the forecasts. I would fret and moan over bad forecasts, and the weather was almost always better than they said. We did have a bad weather cruise in the Southern Caribbean once, rained every day except Barbados, but still had a great time! Hope it turns out

better than you think!

Trish

I was on Elation last week and there was rain every day. On the ship they call it “liquid sunshine”. Although there were a couple of downpours, it usually passes very quickly. Most people will move to a covered area of the open decks, while some just stay in the pool until the rain passes. No events were canceled or postponed due to weather.

I was on the Valor last week and both of our sea days it rained on and off... the adult pool and hot tubs at the back of the ship have a retractable roof that they close when it starts to rain, and then when there's a break in the rain, they opened it back up.

I always think it's funny when we're at a Caribbean beach and there's a small shower. The majority of folks will get out of the water (they're already wet) and huddle under a tree, palapa or some other shelter wrapping themselves up in towels.

As long as it doesn't feel like a T-Storm, I'll stay in the water up to my neck. I won't do this in southwest Florida where I live now (the Lightening capital of the world), but in the Caribbean, sure, no problem.

My husband and I had rain on our day at Amber Cove. We stayed on the ship ate, drank and relaxed under a covered area. We both agree that was the best day we had on that trip!

We also stayed on board the Horizon at AC. Serenity was actually serene, and there was no line for the Skyride. While I try to avoid any itinerary with AC, we sailed for the new ship and had a fine day without the usual crowds.

I've been on one in January a few years ago to the Bahamas where there was an arctic storm that extended all the way down to S Florida. It was freezing cold in the Bahamas, windy, choppy seas, and it rained....the whole...four days. It was the worse storm I've encountered on all my sailings. We just drank and slept. I can't say much for the activities most people were sea sick so the ship was very quiet.

I was on a cruise a couple of years ago. 4 day out of Galveston, Navigator of the Seas in early February. It was cold and rainy most of cruise. We did get sunny skies for Cozumel :) even though it was rainy and cool most of cruise, we had the BEST time. Lots to do inside, lots of relaxing, lots of people watching, shopping, drinking hot tea and other things :) just a fantastic trip! I am one of those people though, that no matter what.....I am on a cruise and enjoy every second of it. Have a fantastic trip!

Bon Voyage,

Vicki

We cruised on the Miracle when it was sailing from New York City for an 8 day cruise in May that year. Out of 8 days, it rained for 6. After the first few days, we just had to laugh at the bad weather. We still had a great time! So many fun things to do! Be sure to put a few extra books on your Kindle. We also came home, promptly booked another 8 day cruise on the Miracle for August that same year, and had 8 absolutely beautiful sunny days. You may have heard the phrase: the worst day on a cruise is still way better than the best day at work. This is how we feel!