Making a personal cruise video

SoBaycruiser

For years I used Microsoft's MovieMaker to organize my pictures from trips and put them to music. Then Microsoft stopped supporting it and I've had increasing problems... so much so that it is unusable for me.

I know there are powerful programs out there such as Adobe Premiere, but I want something simple like MovieMaker to add panning effects and music. Can anyone suggest a simple video making tool?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you using MicroSoft Windows 7 or Windows 10? That's what I'm using. I do all our after cruise video DVD's using Window 7

On board ship HAL still does the Digital WorkShop only they use Window 10 & teach the making of movies.

Allan

I agree with Dave regarding Adobe Premiere Elements. I use Premiere Pro but can probably do 95%+ of what I do using Elements. The "full" Adobe products are very powerful but do have a pretty steep learning curve. The "Elements" versions are a much easier to use, but still very full featured set of products. You can try Premiere Elements for free for a while to see if it meets your needs. Click here and scroll to the bottom of the page to find a link for the free trial.

Can premier elements do a combo of photos and video clips with music added over the top? I have a bunch of photos a couple short video clips and a couple time lapses I took (made) in Hawaii when i was on vacation and would like to make a couple vacation projects. (I already have the song picked out for my shots of Pearl Harbor)

Can premier elements do a combo of photos and video clips with music added over the top? I have a bunch of photos a couple short video clips and a couple time lapses I took (made) in Hawaii when i was on vacation and would like to make a couple vacation projects. (I already have the song picked out for my shots of Pearl Harbor)

You can mix slides and video pretty much at will. You can add audio tracks as well.

Dave

Are you using MicroSoft Windows 7 or Windows 10? That's what I'm using. I do all our after cruise video DVD's using Window 7

On board ship HAL still does the Digital WorkShop only they use Window 10 & teach the making of movies.

Allan

I have Windows 7 and the latest and last MovieMaker version yet it crashes when I get to certain audio tracks. I used to think it happened only with the m4a files and would translate them to Mp3, but even that crashes now.

I agree with Dave regarding Adobe Premiere Elements. I use Premiere Pro but can probably do 95%+ of what I do using Elements. The "full" Adobe products are very powerful but do have a pretty steep learning curve. The "Elements" versions are a much easier to use, but still very full featured set of products. You can try Premiere Elements for free for a while to see if it meets your needs. Click here and scroll to the bottom of the page to find a link for the free trial.

I bought Premiere Elements but I don't find it intuitive. After successfully making one video with a steep learning curve, six months later I found It didn't come back easily after the next trip.

I found VideoPad video editor which has a free (for personal use) version that is set up very similarly to MovieMaker except for the motion effects to zoom in on portions of a still. I'm still trying to figure that out.

• 4 months later...

I downloaded the trial version of Adobe Premier Elements today and did not find it easy to use at all...does anyone know if all of the program's features are available on the trial version? Like, can you actually produce a video in the trial? Are there limits to the trial program? I also used Proshow Gold years ago and more recently Movie Maker, until glitches occurrred. I want an easy, user friendly program that allows me to burn DVDs. I usually use a combination of photos, videos and audio tracks. Any advice is most welcome!

I downloaded the trial version of Adobe Premier Elements today and did not find it easy to use at all...does anyone know if all of the program's features are available on the trial version? Like, can you actually produce a video in the trial? Are there limits to the trial program? I also used Proshow Gold years ago and more recently Movie Maker, until glitches occurrred. I want an easy, user friendly program that allows me to burn DVDs. I usually use a combination of photos, videos and audio tracks. Any advice is most welcome!

I finally ended up with NCH Software’s VideoPad Video Editor (Home Edition) because it was similar to Moviemaker. The zooming isn’t quite as easy but gives more options once you learn how. I’ve made two trip videos now with photos, videos and music. I like it.

• 4 weeks later...

I now use Cyberlink PowerDirector 16 with Windows 10. Used MS Movie Maker for years til it started crashing alot then switched a few years ago to Power Director. They have a trial version you can download to try... they offer webinars and lots of youtubes on learning that are helpful. There is a slight learning curve as with any new program.

I have been doing travel youtubes the last couple of years. If interested, you can see videos made with PD and check out my channel at

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHiRFnslgYtHoKI4zEN8zbA

I've been happy with PowerDirector and have upgraded recently to PD16. Good luck.