Does anyone remember the Queen Fredrika

As a teenager ( Not when dinosaurs roamed the earth,LOL) my parents sent me to Greece to camp for two summers in the mid sixties each time I cruised on the Queen Fredrika, with the Greek Priest and his wife who took 100+ kids over to camp outside of Athens. "The Queen" was a beautiful ship, all who worked on her were great to us kids/brats..LOL... In my life boat one year was Tony Perkins of Psycho fame................the food amazing,the afternoon teas elegant, the cabins bare bones w/the baths down the hall. The priest and his wife had a suite and it was ala Metro Goldwyn Mayer huge and just like out of a movie!!!!!! No stabilizers on her and a bit rough coming back in late August thru the Northern Atlantic. The halls,and community passages threaded with maroon velvet rope overhead, to grab for balance. The tables with a lip on the edge so the elegant china and silver did not slide off.The menus beautiful in their art work.Won the twist contest LOL........Just the most beautiful experience and what made me want to do more as an adult........great memories................TTFN Capecoddah

Although I did not sail on the Queen Frederica, my mother did immigrate to Canada from Italy in July 1958 - her most memorable part of the voyage - the first time she tried orange juice.

I recently purchased a set of Queen Frederica deck plans on line, and we were able to locate her cabin (she still has her original passage contract). Cheers!

Would your mother like a luggage tag (it is blank,I mean not written on).I guess I was a collector at that age too LOL.From the s/s Q F ? I have just found my "scrapbook from my first cruise a TA from Boston to Athens and then back, a TA from Athens to N.Y.C. I was 12 yrs old and sent to camp over there. I have a luggage tag and a menu(In English, Greek and Italian) and a daily program I would be happy to give your mother. The only thing I ask could I have a copy of the deck plans you have??? Let me know I would be happy to GIVE these items to her. Thanks Capecoddah

• 2 weeks later...

She was the old Malolo-Matsonia of Matson Lines (father was Chief Steward 1935-47) and it came in service in 1927 and sold to Greeks in 1948. I saw her at the pier while seeing someone leave at Piraeus in the early 1960's. Ended up in the junked ship anchorage at nearby Perma Bay and burned up one day in 1977 and scrapped in 1978..

Ended up in the junked ship anchorage at nearby Perma Bay and burned up one day in 1977 and scrapped in 1978..

Perama.

According to Arnold Kludas' Great Passenger Ships of the World vol 6. she was laid up in Piraeus (assumably in the Perama area) on November 5 1973, sold for scrap to Eleusis in 1977 and on Feb 1 1978 during the demolition she / what was left of her caught fire and was destroyed.

What a sad end to a beautiful ship. The first time I sailed on her I was 12 yrs old. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. The wood work and interiors lovely.Tho the tourist class cabin spartan. During the return trip(early September) from Athens (Pireaus) we took the TA northern route of rough seas and yes even some small icebergs to Halifax. Thru the rough seas they strung up rope encased in heavy maroon velvet covers for the passengers to hold for balance in all the passage ways. And this always amazed me at dinner the tables had wood edges they could raise up and inch to give the table a lip on it so the beautiful china and silver (yes sterling) did not slide off the table in the rough seas. Being a young girl in 1962 my steward was so kind to me being seasick and did nice things for me and brought me up for weak tea and dry toast in the study area where they had teas and goodies. It is what hooked me on cruisng. From that young age on,I begged my parents to only to send me to Greece via ship LOL. To visit family and go to camp. Please continue with the stories I love them!!!!! Where would I find the book you metion??She certainly had a long life. Was well kept in the 1960's,tho I saw her only thru the romantic eyes of a teenager. Last year on the Jewel of the Seas out of Boston i met a man from R.I. who immigrated to America as a young man (16yrs) with his parents from Naples,Italy the same date I was sailing on her home from Greece now that truly is a small world!

• 8 years later...
What a sad end to a beautiful ship. The first time I sailed on her I was 12 yrs old. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. The wood work and interiors lovely.Tho the tourist class cabin spartan. During the return trip(early September) from Athens (Pireaus) we took the TA northern route of rough seas and yes even some small icebergs to Halifax. Thru the rough seas they strung up rope encased in heavy maroon velvet covers for the passengers to hold for balance in all the passage ways. And this always amazed me at dinner the tables had wood edges they could raise up and inch to give the table a lip on it so the beautiful china and silver (yes sterling) did not slide off the table in the rough seas. Being a young girl in 1962 my steward was so kind to me being seasick and did nice things for me and brought me up for weak tea and dry toast in the study area where they had teas and goodies. It is what hooked me on cruisng. From that young age on,I begged my parents to only to send me to Greece via ship LOL. To visit family and go to camp. Please continue with the stories I love them!!!!! Where would I find the book you metion??She certainly had a long life. Was well kept in the 1960's,tho I saw her only thru the romantic eyes of a teenager. Last year on the Jewel of the Seas out of Boston i met a man from R.I. who immigrated to America as a young man (16yrs) with his parents from Naples,Italy the same date I was sailing on her home from Greece now that truly is a small world!

Hello! I was on the Queen Frederica coming back from Athens Greece in March of 1963, I remember the stormy weather and the rough seas, I also remember the grown up panicking about the Cuban Crisis because the Cuban Oppositions to Casto's Revolution were sinking Russian ships and Cuban supply ships so close to our journey across the Atlantic. I have memorabilia from that cruise.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Try this link for the Pier 21 Immigration Museum in Halifax - not sure if they ship to the US. We were there this past July and received a beautiful picture of the Queen Frederica on which my mother arrived in 1958. Hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I just registered in order to reply to your post.

I found an old black & white picture of my grandmother on this ship. I'm guessing it was taken in the 50's or early 60's.

I wanted to discover more about this picture and I did a Google search on the S.S. Queen Frederica, that's how I found your posts.

I'd love to share this photo with you and hear more about this ship and hopefully figure out if my grandmother was taking a trip somewhere or just taking a cruise.

Hope to hear back!

• 7 months later...

I WAS ON THE QUEEN FREDERICA coming back First Class to NY in October 1958 with my mother and uncle- It was totally full! The weather was awful we went straight into a hurricane! Everyone was seasick and never left their berths until 8 days later,Except for another young lady whose father worked for the liner. The two of us had a grand time as we were treated royally-food fun games Liner was ours! Have so many photos from that trip! Unfortunately some older folks passed-which I had a good fortune to talk with. Can never forget this great trip- made it just in time for College classes after my sister had to register me due to the ships delay - took over 14 days to return to NY.

Love to share experiences of that era with similar travelers on that Queen Frederica trip 1958!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
I WAS ON THE QUEEN FREDERICA coming back First Class to NY in October 1958 with my mother and uncle- It was totally full! The weather was awful we went straight into a hurricane! Everyone was seasick and never left their berths until 8 days later,Except for another young lady whose father worked for the liner. The two of us had a grand time as we were treated royally-food fun games Liner was ours! Have so many photos from that trip! Unfortunately some older folks passed-which I had a good fortune to talk with. Can never forget this great trip- made it just in time for College classes after my sister had to register me due to the ships delay - took over 14 days to return to NY.

Love to share experiences of that era with similar travelers on that Queen Frederica trip 1958!!!

My mother and I were on this ship---traveled from Piraeus to NY--July 1958--would love to know more about this trip-I was very young and don't remember much other than the horrible weather and that i was seasick the entire trip--do you have photos or other memorabilia from this trip? thank you so much!

My mother and I were on this ship---traveled from Piraeus to NY--July 1958--would love to know more about this trip-I was very young and don't remember much other than the horrible weather and that i was seasick the entire trip--do you have photos or other memorabilia from this trip? thank you so much!

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 4/7/2018 at 2:08 AM, capstubing said:

My sister was born on this ship in 1960-61 NY. I am looking for any news articles, photos, or other mentions of this event. She passed away in '74. If anyone has information on this, please let me know.

My condolences on the loss of your sister.

It seems that she was born on the same cruise that my Popou passed away on.  I picture part of his spirit transferring to her!!

May their memories be eternal.

• 4 years later...

I sailed with my family on the Queen Frederica on a Mediterranean cruise in 1972 or 1973, when I was 8 years old. I’ve just been reading about the ship’s history, and was surprised to find out that she was almost 50 years old at the time, and near the end of her life. Fond memories.