Caribbean Cruise

butterflylarvae

Hey ya'll,

I'd like to know what would I do on a 8 day cruise if at some point I wanted to leave. I really want to book my cruise, it's my dream to experience being on a cruise! I feel like I've been waiting my whole life because I had fear being in open water like that. I decided that for my birthday I'm going to conquer my fear.

But... If i decide that I want to get off the ship at the next time, will I be able to get an entry stamp to stay at that stop for maybe a week and fly back instead?

My worry is not having an entry stamp and then trying to leave the country without an entry stamp.

In order to leave a cruise before the end of it, you must clear it with the cruise line ahead of time first, and depending on itinerary you can't always just "get off and leave" at any port you want. Some ports are private islands owned by the line and you cannot disembark there.

Check with your cruise line. And happy birthday! :D

Hey ya'll,

I'd like to know what would I do on a 8 day cruise if at some point I wanted to leave. I really want to book my cruise, it's my dream to experience being on a cruise! I feel like I've been waiting my whole life because I had fear being in open water like that. I decided that for my birthday I'm going to conquer my fear.

But... If i decide that I want to get off the ship at the next time, will I be able to get an entry stamp to stay at that stop for maybe a week and fly back instead?

My worry is not having an entry stamp and then trying to leave the country without an entry stamp.

Typically, if you want to get off the ship early, you must clear it in advance (before the cruise) with the cruise line. Most of the time they will not allow it.

As you seem to know, entering the country via cruise ship will not get you an entry stamp into the country. I believe, even if you get a stamp at a cruise port, it's not an actual entry stamp. Since most countries allow cruise ship passengers a bit more freedom to visit for just the day.

In order to leave a cruise before the end of it, you must clear it with the cruise line ahead of time first, and depending on itinerary you can't always just "get off and leave" at any port you want. Some ports are private islands owned by the line and you cannot disembark there.

Check with your cruise line. And happy birthday! :D

Thanks for that info, I will definitely do that.

Typically, if you want to get off the ship early, you must clear it in advance (before the cruise) with the cruise line. Most of the time they will not allow it.

As you seem to know, entering the country via cruise ship will not get you an entry stamp into the country. I believe, even if you get a stamp at a cruise port, it's not an actual entry stamp. Since most countries allow cruise ship passengers a bit more freedom to visit for just the day.

So I just read in the forum here that people do that. Actually, I read about someone just not getting back on the ship. How do those people get entry stamps??

So I just read in the forum here that people do that. Actually, I read about someone just not getting back on the ship. How do those people get entry stamps??

We have been on many Caribbean cruises and have never shown our passport or gotten a stamp in it. There are no "entry stamps" on a Caribbean cruise.

Is there a problem here that you are concerned about? If you are hesitant about the open water aspect of a cruise, can you take a shorter one to see if you like it? Cruises can be expensive and if someone did disembark early, they would still have to pay for the entire voyage. A cruise and a land vacation are different things... personally, I think you'd be better to keep them as separate entities. :)

I'm hesitant to take a shorter cruise. My aunt who is frequently cruises says the boats are older and I might get sick easier. I really want to take this cruise, I'm not concerned about the financial aspect. Just want to take the cruise but be a first time cruiser that is prepared should anything arise.

I'm hesitant to take a shorter cruise. My aunt who is frequently cruises says the boats are older and I might get sick easier. I really want to take this cruise, I'm not concerned about the financial aspect. Just want to take the cruise but be a first time cruiser that is prepared should anything arise.

The ships that do short cruises are often the same ships that do long cruises. Depends on the cruiseline.

Hey ya'll,

You did not say where you are cruising to. If it is a Caribbean cruise and you get off early, it is no longer a closed loop cruise. This will mean that the cruise line will be fined and will be presented with major bureaucratic hassles dealing with your early departure. Also, if you do not have a passport, this will present you with even more problems. The cruise company and the US government will be very annoyed if you leave early.

Your idea is a spectacularly bad one.

DON

You did not say where you are cruising to. If it is a Caribbean cruise and you get off early, it is no longer a closed loop cruise. This will mean that the cruise line will be fined and will be presented with major bureaucratic hassles dealing with your early departure. Also, if you do not have a passport, this will present you with even more problems. The cruise company and the US government will be very annoyed if you leave early.

Your idea is a spectacularly bad one.

DON

Is that true? I thought the only issue causing a fine would be if the two different ports where the passenger embarked and debarked were 2 different US ports. Not a US to foreign port.

But, yes, even just one passenger getting off in a foreign port from a US port round trip cruise changes the cruise to a foreign port cruise. Different, more involved paperwork, and most cruise lines just don't want to deal with it anymore.

Time was they would do it, but not so much any longer.

Edited by Shmoo here

I just want to be prepared. Hopefully someone can give an actual answer to my questions here. Knowledge is power and I would like to know.

The only "actual answer" is - ask your cruise line. And do so before you cruise, as such departures must be arranged beforehand. Chances are you won't be able to decide to debark early while on the ship.

I just want to be prepared. Hopefully someone can give an actual answer to my questions here. Knowledge is power and I would like to know.

We are all trying to help you.

The only "actual answer" is - ask your cruise line. And do so before you cruise, as such departures must be arranged beforehand. Chances are you won't be able to decide to debark early while on the ship.

^ THIS, exactly.

OP, no one here can answer this because you haven't booked your cruise yet. We are giving you our knowledge based on our experience in having cruised for many years. You will need to make a few calls to cruise lines or have a travel agent look into this for you.

Thank you.

I will definitely do that tomorrow.

Just wondering if a one way FL to PR has those same issues. Or a cruise that starts in one US port and ends in the other. Maybe i'd be better off doing that if that makes any difference. I'll tell you one thing I sure am learning a lot about cruises.

Thank you.

I will definitely do that tomorrow.

Just wondering if a one way FL to PR has those same issues. Or a cruise that starts in one US port and ends in the other. Maybe i'd be better off doing that if that makes any difference. I'll tell you one thing I sure am learning a lot about cruises.

Typically, most cruise lines no longer allow early debarkation. Time was they would work with the passenger, but not so much any more. And certainly not done on the spot (during the cruise). Except for a major medical emergency, they aren't going to just let you "get off the ship".

The debarking early issue depends on what the embarkation/debarkation ports are for the cruise and what port you want to get off at.

There are not many Caribbean cruises that start in one US port and end in another. The issue there is the ship must make a distant foreign port stop for those (except for cruises into/out of Puerto Rico), and not many of the standard Caribbean cruises do a stop at a distant foreign port.

Typically, most cruise lines no longer allow early debarkation. Time was they would work with the passenger, but not so much any more. And certainly not done on the spot (during the cruise). Except for a major medical emergency, they aren't going to just let you "get off the ship".

The debarking early issue depends on what the embarkation/debarkation ports are for the cruise and what port you want to get off at.

There are not many Caribbean cruises that start in one US port and end in another. The issue there is the ship must make a distant foreign port stop for those (except for cruises into/out of Puerto Rico), and not many of the standard Caribbean cruises do a stop at a distant foreign port.

Hmm so it sounds like maybe it's a possibility?? for a cruise leaving from FL and ending in PR that I could get off I needed to before it reached PR.

YOU CAN DO THIS! You are in open water mostly at night as the ship transitions to the next port. You can stay inside, enjoy the fun and beat the fear!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I surely hope so. My aunt says it doesn't even feel like you are on a boat. Is that true? Is there alot of movement? Since I'm going alone I always wonder if im up at night if it would scare me if i had to deal with some motion.

Do u have to go alone?.? You will think too much. Everyone is different. I love the motion of the ship. It relaxes me. You will not know until you get there. But the movement of the ship is like any boat on the water. If you are this fearful, don’t do it unless you have a buddy who LOVES cruising. You are setting yourself up by already asking for an out. It is too much money for this much apprehension. Do a Riverboat Cruise instead. No open waters[emoji2]

Do u have to go alone?.? You will think too much. Everyone is different. I love the motion of the ship. It relaxes me. You will not know until you get there. But the movement of the ship is like any boat on the water. If you are this fearful, don’t do it unless you have a buddy who LOVES cruising. You are setting yourself up by already asking for an out. It is too much money for this much apprehension. Do a Riverboat Cruise instead. No open waters[emoji2]

Yea I've asked everyone unless you can come with me.

Hmm so it sounds like maybe it's a possibility?? for a cruise leaving from FL and ending in PR that I could get off I needed to before it reached PR.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on where you get on the ship (beginning of cruise), where you are supposed to get off the ship (end of cruise), and where you actually get off.

As noted, you MUST call your cruise line and ask them. And it must be arranged beforehand. It's very unlikely that you will be able to make the decision to get off the ship at a port other than your debarkation port once onboard.

Thank you. I think it would be amazing to have someone go with me. Is there a particular place on this forum to find someone that is sane to go with

No place on Cruise Critic to "meet" others to pair up with.

For the same, basic, reason as you seem to be aware of - no way of knowing if they are "sane".