Do stores in New Zealand & Australia accept American dollars?

Just to be fair to the OP, I read on the Auckland HOHO bus site that the drivers DO accept US$...

Q. Where do I buy a ticket?

You can book online on this web site or you can buy a ticket from the driver if you have cash. American and Australian dollars also accepted.

$US25 and $A30 each is accepted by the driver.

Not our practice to pay in USD when we travel to foreign lands, we always pay in local currency, but, apparently, it is available to use USD in limited places and attractions.

Just to be fair to the OP, I read on the Auckland HOHO bus site that the drivers DO accept US$...

Q. Where do I buy a ticket?

You can book online on this web site or you can buy a ticket from the driver if you have cash. American and Australian dollars also accepted.

$US25 and $A30 each is accepted by the driver.

Not our practice to pay in USD when we travel to foreign lands, we always pay in local currency, but, apparently, it is available to use USD in limited places and attractions.

While a few places in central Auckland which cater to tourists may accept US dollars, they are the exception, not the rule. Change will be given in NZ dollars and the transaction is usually not to the advantage of the person using US dollars.

There are ATMs everywhere in Australia and NZ. Just convert a bit of money or use your credit cards. Depending on the type of ATM/credit card you have, foreign conversion fees will range from nothing to 3% (or sometimes even more.) The bank that issues your ATM/credit card can tell you what they charge to convert.

Also, unlike stores in the U.S., I recall that some places in Australia (and perhaps NZ) require a minimum purchase in order to pay by credit card.

There are ATMs everywhere in Australia and NZ. Just convert a bit of money or use your credit cards. Depending on the type of ATM/credit card you have, foreign conversion fees will range from nothing to 3% (or sometimes even more.) The bank that issues your ATM/credit card can tell you what they charge to convert.

Also, unlike stores in the U.S., I recall that some places in Australia (and perhaps NZ) require a minimum purchase in order to pay by credit card.

Correct. The minimum purchase of $10 is required in some stores, to cover their costs for supplying an eftpos transaction. However, this is only in very small stores ie the corner shop. Larger stores, do not charge.

While a few places in central Auckland which cater to tourists may accept US dollars, they are the exception, not the rule. Change will be given in NZ dollars and the transaction is usually not to the advantage of the person using US dollars.

I totally agree, the exchange rate will be way out.

The smaller vendors will not know the daily rate , so will quote something that really covers them and the expenses of changing it .

... and the transaction is usually not to the advantage of the person using US dollars.
Although it depends on where the exchange rate was when the foreign currency amount was set!

Just for fun, I thought I'd convert the USD25 and AUD30 amounts to see how they compare to the NZD35 cost of the hop-on hop-off bus.

NZD 35 = USD 26.43

NZD 35 = AUD 26.80

So at the moment, a USD purchase is actually better value than paying in NZD, but an AUD purchase sees you donating 12% extra to the profits of the bus company.

To be fair to those responding, the OP asked about "stores and museums," not any service provider at all.

Carrying only USD without converting would leave you unable to enter/purchase from almost all, if not all, stores and museums, and would see you spending time trying to negotiate with people to change, likely both an unpleasant use of time and at unfavourable rates.

There is a persistant myth that the US Dollar can be used almost everywhere in lieu of the local currency. This may have been true in the past when exchange rates were so favourable to a strong US$ but times have changed and now the Aus/NZ Dollars are very strong against a much weaker US$ (currently AU$1 = 98 US cents with parity predicted before Christmas) so nobody will be tempted to take US$.

There is a persistant myth that the US Dollar can be used almost everywhere in lieu of the local currency. This may have been true in the past when exchange rates were so favourable to a strong US$ but times have changed and now the Aus/NZ Dollars are very strong against a much weaker US$ (currently AU$1 = 98 US cents with parity predicted before Christmas) so nobody will be tempted to take US$.

It is not a myth. The US dollar can be used to a greater or lesser extent, more than any other currency, in many countries around the world. This is despite the USD's current weakness. This has been the case for a long time and continues to be the case. However, Australia is not one of those countries.

The OP asked whether the US$ is accepted in Australia and New Zealand and we both agree the answer is "No" in most circumstances, exchange rate notwithstanding. You would have a hard time offering US$ in western Europe too (not so much on the eastern side) although an enterprising taxi driver almost anywhere might be willing to offer an unofficial exchange rate "deal" ;)

It is not a myth. The US dollar can be used to a greater or lesser extent, more than any other currency, in many countries around the world. This is despite the USD's current weakness. This has been the case for a long time and continues to be the case. However, Australia is not one of those countries.

Tip...If you are travelling in a foreign country and want to use US dollars, make sure they are brand new and have no tears or marks on them, or they will not be accepted.

And nor is New Zealand.

However, I'd be happy to take US dollars on a one-for-one basis with NZ dollars - and so might some opportunist shops - the NZ dollar is currently hovering at about $0.75 US!

Much the best plan is to take a small amount of cash in the local currency, use credit cards, and get more local cash from an ATM, if you need it.

... although an enterprising taxi driver almost anywhere might be willing to offer an unofficial exchange rate "deal" ;)
Once, I got into a cab here in London and saw that the driver had a notice on the partition saying "This taxi accepts US dollars".

So I asked him why, and he said he was happy to collect dollars for his next Florida holiday.

Then I asked him what exchange rate he was offering. It was eye-watering (for the passenger).

And then he came out with the icing on the cake: American tourists, he said, were not only happy to dole out the dollars to him at that exchange rate, but they also gave him humungous tips on top. For example, leaving him just a $50 note for a £20 fare.

In that context, it sounded like a brilliant idea for him. Fools and their money, and all that.

I am cruising on Holland America to NZ & Australia in December and am wondering if places like stores or museums accept American dollars? Thanks.

Do stores or museums in America accept NZ dollars? I think this is quite self explanatory?

Do stores or museums in America accept NZ dollars? I think this is quite self explanatory?

Yes, it seems to be, and yet this question gets asked frequently. I think it's because many Americans travel to countries where the US dollar is accepted.

I find it a little bit annoying, as both Australia and New Zealand have currencies that are not linked to the US dollar, and we are not third-world countries that are glad to get our hands on US dollars.

However, I think many Americans ask in all innocence, and so I try to answer their question politely and helpfully.

Yes, it seems to be, and yet this question gets asked frequently. I think it's because many Americans travel to countries where the US dollar is accepted.

I find it a little bit annoying, as both Australia and New Zealand have currencies that are not linked to the US dollar, and we are not third-world countries that are glad to get our hands on US dollars.

However, I think many Americans ask in all innocence, and so I try to answer their question politely and helpfully.

Yes, this was asked in all innocence as I have been to other countries that were glad to accept US dollars. From some of these responses, I am sorry I even asked the original question. But I have gotten my answer and will be exchanging money. Thank you.

Yes, this was asked in all innocence as I have been to other countries that were glad to accept US dollars. From some of these responses, I am sorry I even asked the original question. But I have gotten my answer and will be exchanging money. Thank you.

Hey OP, there are no silly questions only silly answers. So don't take offence :o

Archived