When to Cruise in Austrailia

Socal404

Both HAL and Princess are doing cruises in the late spring to early fall timeframe (check their websites for details). The weather is very good (roughly comparable to summer in a Mediteranean climate) -- warm and dry. An October cruise might catch the tail end of the rainy season.

Make sure you bring lots of sun block with you! Unless things have changed recently, finding SPF 30+ sun block in Australia is tough, although there has been a skin cancer awareness campaign going for several years so it might be a little easier.

Make sure you bring lots of sun block with you! Unless things have changed recently, finding SPF 30+ sun block in Australia is tough, although there has been a skin cancer awareness campaign going for several years so it might be a little easier.

The SPF of sunblock in Australia was once limited by regulation to 15+ by the Government. This was on the basis that 15+ gives very good protection and that claims of 20+, 30+ would lead to price extortion and/or a false sense of security that the higher numbers might impart. (after all, if you miss some skin, or it washes off, you could be in big trouble).

The good news for visitors is that the regulations were lifted several years ago and 30+ is now readily available (at a reasonable price). It's even sold in giant squirt bottles like ketchup dispensers.

Cheers,

Steve.

Not sure where most cruises begin or end but some pass through here (Brisbane) and go up to north queensland (highly recommended but not in Dec-Feb), a lot go through Sydney- a great city to visit- and I think the ones that visit Melbourne only do so over summer - Nov- March.Any of these places are great to visit. Do you want to some land content before or after- where?- that too will depend on the time of your cruise. When you decide what you want to see I can advise best times to do it. Basically, anywhere south of Brisbane would be best Nov to March, anywhere far north eg barrier reef, northern territory eg kakadu are best May to Aug due to fact they are always hot and this is the least humid time of year and you are less likely to experience cyclones. Ayers Rock in central Australia the same except it isn't as hot as the northern part of the territory. Sue

• 1 month later...

If cruising the north of australia. Spring (september,october ) is best because it isnt so tropical, but if travelling the south summer is best which is december january and even february and march is warm:)

Sue

I hear they are building a new cruise terminal at Ayers Rock soon.

Michael

Yes, I heard that too just before I signed papers and handed over my money to buy a lovely little bridge that goes to Brooklyn! LOL!

Jane

• 2 weeks later...

If planning to visit Australia you need to consider what time of year to cruise. We have cyclone season from Nov to march, it's extremely hot and dangerous. Also some northen Aust beaches are closed to swimming due to stingers & jellyfish.

Have a look at www.p&ocruises.com.au this has some maps which will show you some of the coastline.

Sydney is great to visit any time, Nov, Dec, Jan & Feb are great months, hot but fun.

I was thinking of a land vacation to australia, but would be leaving kids at home. Since they are in school, we'd be thinking of a summer trip (late may into early august) for about 2 weeks. However, its my understanding this is your winter. Does that make it a bad time? We'd like to see sydney for sure, great barrier reef, some snorkeling, ayers rock, and not all sure where else as we haven't fully researched it, but would do some hopping around and/or driving as I want to see as much as I can. Is this adviseable? What is the best way to do a land vacation? We love b&b's...stayed in one on north shore of oahu and found it to be paradise. Lots of B&B's in Australia at good rates during this time?

I've been to Australia every season. If you're travelling both north and south, then you're going to hit the less desirable season no matter what.

To be honest, I've never had a bad time on any of our 5 trips there. We've spent New Year's Eve in Tasmania, which is the peak of Aussie summer and it was so cold, we had to buy wool sweaters. And we've hit Sydney in some hot spells. My point is, no matter how well you plan, the weather in Australia doesn't always cooperate.

We're headed back there this February and will get to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and the Great Barrier Reef.

Bear in mind that we have school holidays in mid July, so you may want to avoid those weeks in Australia.

Our winters are mild compared to US & Canada. Ayers Rock & the interior will be mild during the day but quite cold at night.

Great barrier reef will be fine, water will be mild, low 20's but not freezing. You can still snorkel. We just spent a few days in Cairns, far north queensland, 3 weeks ago & the water was cold, weather was warm, but cold at night. This is definitely a place to avoid mid summer, too hot & humid, 35 day & night. By the way we use metric here.

Sydney has similar weather to LA in winter. Definitely not beach weather, winter days here usually 15 - 20.

Snow only in alps, occassional snowfalls elsewhere.

As Jane said, the weather doesn't always cooperate. Tasmania is a cold state, too close to the Antarctic, but a lovely place to visit.

Maxx,

Can you give me some restaurant suggestions? We love Mod Oz cuisine. I had a food guide from two years ago that the Sydney Morning Herald published but I can't find it. (think I lent it out and never got it back!)

We want to get back to Tetsuya. We've only been to the original and want to experience the new place. Other places we've been to are: Rockpools, WokPool, Bistro Mars, Salt, Darling Street Thai, MG Garage, Bennelongs at the Opera House, Harry's Cafe de Wheels (always hit that stand at least once), Paddington's on Oxford St, Kiosk at Manley Beach, Rowing Club, Jonah's at Whale Beach and Lord Nelson Pub. So as you can see, we like a mix.

We're looking for some great new places to try - Rockpools, MG Garage and Salt are probably our favorites. Any suggestions? Probably don't want to go to Level 41 - sounds a bit stuffy and overpriced. You agree? We liked the food at Bennelongs but found it way overpriced.

We'll be there in February.

Thanks,

Jane

Thanks guys. I ran the conversion which sounds like 60 degrees....wow thats colder than I thought. I was hoping for mid 70s to low 80s, which is 24-30 celsius. So no time from late May to mid August is in this range? I was hoping Aussie winter was still pretty warm, but sounds like I'm wrong. DH & I could go another time, but the problem is grandparents live 1 1/2 hours away and probably wouldn't want to be forced to live in my house for 2 weeks and take kids to school, so we thought a summer vacation where they could go to grandmas would be nice. Now I'm not so sure.

Maxx,

Can you give me some restaurant suggestions? We love Mod Oz cuisine. I had a food guide from two years ago that the Sydney Morning Herald published but I can't find it. (think I lent it out and never got it back!)

We want to get back to Tetsuya. We've only been to the original and want to experience the new place. Other places we've been to are: Rockpools, WokPool, Bistro Mars, Salt, Darling Street Thai, MG Garage, Bennelongs at the Opera House, Harry's Cafe de Wheels (always hit that stand at least once), Paddington's on Oxford St, Kiosk at Manley Beach, Rowing Club, Jonah's at Whale Beach and Lord Nelson Pub. So as you can see, we like a mix.

We're looking for some great new places to try - Rockpools, MG Garage and Salt are probably our favorites. Any suggestions? Probably don't want to go to Level 41 - sounds a bit stuffy and overpriced. You agree? We liked the food at Bennelongs but found it way overpriced.

We'll be there in February.

Thanks,

Jane

I'd love to help out but I cant'. There are so many choices and to be honest we don't eat out in the city (too busy working).

Rockpool is very well respected, Harry's is a must, Manly has some fine restaurants, as does Darling Harbour. You can cruise around Darling Harbour & check out the menus, last place I went to was Nick's which was good.

I love Italian & find Leichhardt & Haberfield have great places.

I'm sure someone else can give you the info, sorry.

You seem to have been to so many places, and we have many fine ones in Sydney.

If I have any ideas I'll post them.

Jane 110,

This will be our first time to both New Zealand & Australia...any good suggestions on what to do in Sydney, Brisbane, and Hobart (Tasmania)? Unfortunately, we will only be in Sydney a day and a half, so we will be trying to squeeze in as much as possible in such a short amount of time. Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Jane 110,

This will be our first time to both New Zealand & Australia...any good suggestions on what to do in Sydney, Brisbane, and Hobart (Tasmania)? Unfortunately, we will only be in Sydney a day and a half, so we will be trying to squeeze in as much as possible in such a short amount of time. Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Sydney----you must go on a harbour cruise, many to choose from.

Rocks Markets, Darling Harbour. San Diego is similar to Sydney.

Can't comment on the others, someone else will.

As an alternative to a narrated harbor cruise, you can take the Sydney Ferry from Circular Quay (adjacent to the cruise ship terminal) to Manly (AUD12 round trip). You will get a good view of the deepwater part of Sydney Harbour, plus you can spend time walking around Manly absorbing the Australia beach culture. You can also take the Sydney Ferry to Taronga Zoo if you want to get your photo taken with a Koala (no petting, their personalities do not match their cuddly appearance).

http://www.sydneyferries.info/

If I had limited time on a first visit to Sydney, I would take an Opera House tour in the morning along with a quick walk through the botanical gardens, and then take the Ferry to Manly in the afternoon. That would give you a good taste of the highlights in Sydney.

If the weather is good and you have more time, I would add a visit to Sydney Tower or the Bridge Climb so you can see an elevated view of one of the world's most beautiful harbors. You might even be able to add in a performance at the Opera House, depending upon schedule.

Steve

Jane 110,

I think you've already gotten some great Sydney suggestions. I'll add to go the the QVB - Queen Victoria Building. It's a shopping arcade. Shopping aside, it's worth going to see it because of the architecture. It's absolutely gorgous, turn of the the century - stained glass windows, etc. It's a "don't miss" in my opinion. There are some nice casual food places there as well so you can visit it during lunch time or snack time.

In Hobart, Tasmania, don't miss a visit to the Prison. I'm sure any tour will make a stop at the Richmond Bridge along the way. Very pretty. In the town of Hobart itself, the central market is Salmanca Place with outdoor market items as well as some nice art galleries and craft shops. It's a good place to buy some made in Australia items.

I've not been to Brisbane, so can't offer any suggestions there.

Jane

I think you've already gotten some great Sydney suggestions. I'll add to go the the QVB - Queen Victoria Building. It's a shopping arcade. Shopping aside, it's worth going to see it because of the architecture. It's absolutely gorgous, turn of the the century - stained glass windows, etc. It's a "don't miss" in my opinion. There are some nice casual food places there as well so you can visit it during lunch time or snack time.

In Hobart, Tasmania, don't miss a visit to the Prison. I'm sure any tour will make a stop at the Richmond Bridge along the way. Very pretty. In the town of Hobart itself, the central market is Salmanca Place with outdoor market items as well as some nice art galleries and craft shops. It's a good place to buy some made in Australia items.

I've not been to Brisbane, so can't offer any suggestions there.

Jane

Re things in Brisbane, the Botanic Gardens are very pleasant but a little way out of town, theres also a fun Harley Motorcycle tour that will take you round the city sights, you ride ther pillion and get to hang on to a leather clad hunk on the front. The view from Mount Clootha [i think thats how its spelt] is good also.

Theres also the fast [and slow] river ferrys, a good way to see the city and quite chaep.

Hope thats a bit of help. Regards Ian [Tauranga NZ]

Archived