Cruises departing from New Orleans

Has anyone taken a Western Caribbean cruise on Norwegian or Viking departing from New Orleans? I'd like opinions to help me compare and decide between the two. We are in our 60's and my husband likes quiet evenings on a veranda with a book and a cigar.

• 2 weeks later...

We're also in our 60s and are taking the whole family (what am i thinking???) on a Western Caribbean out of NO soon so I'm anxious to see the responses. I do know that if evenings with a cigar on your veranda are important, keep in mind that smoking is banned on NCL balconies is for safety reasons. The Norwegian Pearl does have (or it did last time we cruised) the Corona Cigar Club on Deck 6.

My sister just returned from a cruise on Norwegian out of NO. She said it was the best cruise she had ever been on. She loved how laid back, also her and her husband were probably the youngest on the boat, they are in their early 50’s. She loved the choice of entrees in the main dining room, as she is a VERY picky eater!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're also in our 60s and are taking the whole family (what am i thinking???) on a Western Caribbean out of NO soon so I'm anxious to see the responses. I do know that if evenings with a cigar on your veranda are important, keep in mind that smoking is banned on NCL balconies is for safety reasons. The Norwegian Pearl does have (or it did last time we cruised) the Corona Cigar Club on Deck 6.

Looks like the Pearl will be replaced after April by Breakaway until January 2020 then it will be the Getaway.

Has anyone taken a Western Caribbean cruise on Norwegian or Viking departing from New Orleans? I'd like opinions to help me compare and decide between the two. We are in our 60's and my husband likes quiet evenings on a veranda with a book and a cigar.

Buzzbea,

We’ve only been on NCL out of NO, 4 times and really enjoy it, so I cannot compare to Viking. The Pearl is a great ship that has a forward observation room(Spinnaker Lounge), and aft outside seeking in the Garden Cafe, very pleasant. As I stated above she in being replaced by the Breakaway in November and will sail out of NO until January 2020 to be replaced by the Getaway, both NCL mega ships.

We like the itinerary and the Port enough we are booked in January of 19 and 20. We are also in our Mid 60’s and NO is the closest port to us.

We’ve been on both the Getaway and the Breakaway before and enjoyed our time on both ships.

Hope this helps and have a great cruise whatever line you choose.