Missing embarkment due to weather

doublin9

We probably will be fine, but there is a winter storm warning for tonight in our south shore of Long Island area. We are headed to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow morning for our Silhouette cruise (yes, we should've come in the day or two before, but not possible this time). Just learned from my TA that if we miss departure, we couldn't board until Thursday at Cozumel, even though our first stop is Key West on US soil!!!! Sorry, I am venting but this came as a big surprise to me and thought others might be interested in knowing this fact as well. Wish us luck!

We probably will be fine, but there is a winter storm warning for tonight in our south shore of Long Island area. We are headed to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow morning for our Silhouette cruise (yes, we should've come in the day or two before, but not possible this time). Just learned from my TA that if we miss departure, we couldn't board until Thursday at Cozumel, even though our first stop is Key West on US soil!!!! Sorry, I am venting but this came as a big surprise to me and thought others might be interested in knowing this fact as well. Wish us luck!

That’s really odd, and it’s a very good thing to know. Thank you. Did the TA say why you’d not be allowed to board in Key West? Is a tender port? Could that be the reason? Good luck! I’ll hope to see a pic of you safely aboard in Ft Lauderdale, smiling and holding frosty cocktails:)

I'd check with your airline and see if they will let you fly today. Some have issued a weather waiver allowing you to change without fee. I'd look at either LGA or JFK and either FLL or Miami. In a storm I flew into Palm Beach. It was an expensive cab ride but I was glad to be on that ship. Good luck.

You will likely do fine and have a great cruise!

It is exactly because Key West is US soil that you cannot board and continue a cruise from that port.

There will be several responses to this thread that explain the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) which is the reason for this situation.

Currently, if you were actually successful in boarding the ship in Key West, the cruise line would be penalized $764. per individual boarding...and that would be passed on to the passengers involved.

Good luck from a fellow Long Islander. Weather not perfect for the overnight tonight....but a few flakes of snow shouldn't close the airports. Supposed to be over before dawn tomorrow. I really think (for whatever that's worth) that you will be ok tomorrow. A bit nerve-racking....but ok. We have departed in the snow before. Once I could hardly see the pavement of the runway out the window as we turned for take-off. But off we went like a clear day!

What about flying today?...... even part-way there to a warm-weather airline hub if you are really worried and can't get to Florida today. Like fly to Atlanta today or tonight & connect from there tomorrow. As I'm sure you know, this is the beginning of the week long school vacation today, so flights are going to be packed.

In any case, get to the airport REAL early and pack some extra patience. Good luck but from the forecast now I think you will make your departure. Also suggest you pack some extra clothes in your carry-on. If the airport is messed-up tomorrow, you don't have lots of time to wait for delayed luggage.

Good luck!!

The reason is the PVSA. Foreign flagged vessels can’t transport people starting from one US city and ending in a different US city unless a distant foreign port is visited in between. The OP’s cruise likely only calls upon near foreign ports, so would be illegal to board in Key West and end in Ft. Lauderdale. Is similar to laws preventing a foreign airline from flying you to one US city to another. Even if you are willing to pay the fine, the cruise line would still be highly unlikely to allow you to board in Key West as if they willingly allow the PVSA to be violated they can face more serious consequences beyond the fine. Hopefully your flight gets out OK tomorrow; good luck.

If there are a lot of passengers missing they may delay departure especially if they are on flights arranged thru Celebrity.

I know your problem of being restricted. When I was working we would always take the flights thru the cruise lines to avoid missing the cruise. Problem was that they were in control and sometimes the flight times weren’t the best. Flying in the day of makes for a very long and tiring day.

After I retired we would fly in the day before but even that is no guarantee. With flying the way it is we now drive to the ports and only leave out of those ports that we can drive to.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The reason is the PVSA. Foreign flagged vessels can’t transport people starting from one US city and ending in a different US city unless a distant foreign port is visited in between. The OP’s cruise likely only calls upon near foreign ports, so would be illegal to board in Key West and end in Ft. Lauderdale. Is similar to laws preventing a foreign airline from flying you to one US city to another. Even if you are willing to pay the fine, the cruise line would still be highly unlikely to allow you to board in Key West as if they willingly allow the PVSA to be violated they can face more serious consequences beyond the fine. Hopefully your flight gets out OK tomorrow; good luck.

I think you misread the OPs post. His cruise leaves from Ft Lauderdale, goes to Key West, then goes to Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, then back to Ft Lauderdale.

So how does the PSVA kick in? He is either boarding from Ft Lauderdale or Key West. Both are US cities going to foreign ports. I don't understand why he could not board in Key West or Costa Maya for that matter. There has to be another reason.

And I’ll repeat what the OP said; flying out the day before wasn’t an option for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People need to make it an option, especially when traveling from the Northeast in the middle of winter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know if you're flying out go Islip or the City. If the city, give yourself plenty of time get to the airport. If SW from Islip, south of the LIE is supposed to only get a couple of inches, & only has an advisory, so you may luck out. Good luck & have a great cruise!

If you are flying out of JFK or LGA, perhaps spending the night in an airport hotel might be good. Then you won't have to worry about the roads in the morning. Good luck! I'm in NJ and always worry about traveling in winter months,

Pizzalady

You cannot travel from one US port (Key West) to a different US port (Fort Lauderdale) without going to a specified Distant Foreign Port in between. None of the ports on this itinerary qualify.

You can go round trip in and out of the same port by visiting ANY foreign port. But you can't start in Key West and end in Fort Lauderdale without visiting South America or one of the ABC islands.

Boarding in Costa Maya and disembarking in Fort Lauderdale is allowed.

I think you misread the OPs post. His cruise leaves from Ft Lauderdale, goes to Key West, then goes to Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, then back to Ft Lauderdale.

So how does the PSVA kick in? He is either boarding from Ft Lauderdale or Key West. Both are US cities going to foreign ports. I don't understand why he could not board in Key West or Costa Maya for that matter. There has to be another reason.

They are returning to FLL. They can’t take a cruise starting in Key West and ending in Fort Lauderdale without going to a distant port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Read the quote again. If you embark in one US city and debark in another US city you must first visit a distant foreign port. If you embark and debark in the same US city you need only visit a near foreign port.

I’ll admit that the PVSA didn’t even occur to me, even though I knew it could be a factor on Pacific Coast & Alaska itineraries. But then, I didn’t know the Caribbean was arbitrarily divided into distant and near ports. To me, a distant foreign port is one I cannot swim to;)

To the OP, I hope you’re able to stay at an airport hotel tonight. That’s what saved me when I had a February flight booked for the day a blizzard was supposed to hit my area. It’s definitely worth it, if you can make it work. Best of luck to you:)