High cost of airfare and hotels added to cruise fare...is it worth it?

Peachypooh

Recently I have noticed that airfares have gone up plus the hotels near the ports the night before a cruise are higher. (based on my observation that if I fly in two nights before the second night is significantly higher). This really adds to the cruise price. I am thinking of limiting myself to drive to ports or adding on a cruise if I am in a cruise port area visiting family already. I just cancelled a Gem cruise to Canada because between airfare and hotel and other costs going out of New York it would have added $2500 to the cost of our vacation. Years ago when we cruised out of Seattle to Alaska the airfare and hotel were extremely reasonable.

That is a decision everyone has to make. Add in extra vacation days, airfare, hotels, etc. We recently did a NYC cruise, but considered the extra two days as a NYC vacation. With various credit card programs, we often do not pay for hotel rooms. We had to free nights in a $400 room. We paid airfare one way (cheap) and points the other way.

But, the cost and total package will vary from one family to the next. We might still have paid to go to NYC for the cruise in our case.

It’s always a good idea to check those prices before committing to a cruise, especially if sailing out of a popular location during a popular time (Spring Break in Ft. Lauderdale, for example).

We have found that you can save money if you are willing to stay further from the port (say, by the airport or in a more suburban neighborhood). Often, the cost savings is more than worth the additional cost fo transportation. For example, on a cruise from Miami, we flew into Ft. Lauderdale, rented a car (one way rental with a drop off at the port of Miami), and stayed in the suburbs. Since we had 2 hotel rooms, the $150+ per room savings and the cheaper flights into Ft. Lauderdale were absolutely worth it.

Also, we book hotels through blind booking sites all the time. If you do a little research before booking, you can snag a great deal at a great hotel.

We’ve seen this issue with Transatlantics, but there’s not much you can do on those if you don’t have six months vacation to take the ship back.

We did cancel a Baltics cruise a year or so ago for this exact reason - the flights were substantially more than the cruise, and we couldn’t find a way around it.

This is a good reminder that the cruise cost is not the entire vacation cost (it’s not even the entire cruise cost!), so you have to look at all the required costs to get a picture of the total bill.

That said, cruises can still be less expensive than other vacations (resorts, visiting foreign cities) where the additional costs (airfare, hotels) are equivalent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We’ve seen this issue with Transatlantics, but there’s not much you can do on those if you don’t have six months vacation to take the ship back.

We did cancel a Baltics cruise a year or so ago for this exact reason - the flights were substantially more than the cruise, and we couldn’t find a way around it.

This is a good reminder that the cruise cost is not the entire vacation cost (it’s not even the entire cruise cost!), so you have to look at all the required costs to get a picture of the total bill.

That said, cruises can still be less expensive than other vacations (resorts, visiting foreign cities) where the additional costs (airfare, hotels) are equivalent.

I understand. We really want to se the Fjords but we live in an out of the way place and airfare would have been at least $6,000 for the two of us and that would have been coach. Add in hotels, traveling money, etc. it

would have easily added much more than that to the cruise. I guess I will have to be content with photographs!

TA's are able to get package deals at much better prices than what you can find online. They have access to agent-oriented distribution channels at their fingertips. I have been using the same cruise agent for over 20 years. He has booked other packages for us also, including hotel stays and flights. He is lightning quick finding the options we want (sometimes we are picky), and always comes in way under the prices we would have paid had we booked it ourselves. Seriously, he is like a genie in a bottle. Find a TA, one who is recommended by people you trust.

I understand. We really want to se the Fjords but we live in an out of the way place and airfare would have been at least $6,000 for the two of us and that would have been coach. Add in hotels, traveling money, etc. it

would have easily added much more than that to the cruise. I guess I will have to be content with photographs!

$6000 for coach airfare for 2? Frankly, you might benefit from research for some alternative booking options. There, very likely, are coach flights less that these rates.

I am extremely fortunate, and do all the travel- anywhere I wish. I find it a big conflict however to settle on a lacking itinerary when another preference is desired. Isn't it also a superior choice to go on what you really want to go on, vs spending a BIG amount of money on something else? I'll just ask- (no answer) how long did it take to get on that trip and how often do you cruise? Perhaps can give some further focus for tough answers.

$6,000 airfares?

Yes, you can do much better than that.

Some suggestions:

Look at different cities for part of the trip. Then take another airline, or train for part of it. Start from a different city if that helps.

Google flights does a great job finding some airlines with better rates. Always look at dates. Sometimes 1 or 2 days makes a bid difference.

Airline points? In the past 3 years, we have open about 30 different credit cards. Get the 25,000 to 50,000 or more signup points, rinse and repeat. Have used over a million miles on the past few years on flights.

$6000 for coach airfare for 2? Frankly, you might benefit from research for some alternative booking options. There, very likely, are coach flights less that these rates.

I am extremely fortunate, and do all the travel- anywhere I wish. I find it a big conflict however to settle on a lacking itinerary when another preference is desired. Isn't it also a superior choice to go on what you really want to go on, vs spending a BIG amount of money on something else? I'll just ask- (no answer) how long did it take to get on that trip and how often do you cruise? Perhaps can give some further focus for tough answers.

For the record, I’ve never spent $6000 for flights, but the OP has, apparently. I was quoted without being quoted.

If you live in an inconvenient place for the airlines, and have to fly to a hub to start, then fly to another hub to fly to your destination, it does add up.

We live in DFW and couldn’t get an convenient flight for our proposed Baltics cruise, which still confounds me, since I had done similar trips on business. I did look at airports in the area, days on either side of the cruise, flying in one place and out another, flying somewhere else and taking the train, and all the options were painful, either from a money standpoint or a time standpoint.

For Transatlantic cruises, we usually use NCL’s flight options, as they are usually lower-cost than what we can book on our own - given the one-way flight.

I also tend to forget the most expensive part of every trip - it’s to take every number quoted times two because my wife insists on going along!

For the record, I’ve never spent $6000 for flights, but the OP has, apparently. I was quoted without being quoted.

If you live in an inconvenient place for the airlines, and have to fly to a hub to start, then fly to another hub to fly to your destination, it does add up.

We live in DFW and couldn’t get an convenient flight for our proposed Baltics cruise, which still confounds me, since I had done similar trips on business. I did look at airports in the area, days on either side of the cruise, flying in one place and out another, flying somewhere else and taking the train, and all the options were painful, either from a money standpoint or a time standpoint.

For Transatlantic cruises, we usually use NCL’s flight options, as they are usually lower-cost than what we can book on our own - given the one-way flight.

I also tend to forget the most expensive part of every trip - it’s to take every number quoted times two because my wife insists on going along!

Sorry for the quote mix up. Was not intentional.

There are alternative strategies that can work very well. It is unlikely there wan't one single Europen airport that had reasonable rates? There is a very good network of low cost airline that work well. I've used Norweigan, Flybe, Easyjet and Ryan. I've never paid more than $100 for these flights with all fees. I don't pay to fly US to/from Europe/British Isles etc But I don't waste my time, flying back and forth to the US so use these airlines frequesntly. I travel with friends who are very successful finding reasonable costs, with the US.

Also, people need to be well informed with some cruise air bookings. Reading the sticky on the Cruise Air board is essential if going this route.

Being open to alternative booking options can offer more choices. I don't ever have to be concerned with flights, and can't imagine having to compromise my destination preferences.

$6,000 airfares?

Yes, you can do much better than that.

Some suggestions:

Look at different cities for part of the trip. Then take another airline, or train for part of it. Start from a different city if that helps.

Google flights does a great job finding some airlines with better rates. Always look at dates. Sometimes 1 or 2 days makes a bid difference.

Airline points? In the past 3 years, we have open about 30 different credit cards. Get the 25,000 to 50,000 or more signup points, rinse and repeat. Have used over a million miles on the past few years on flights.

Ditto! I love my points.

Being open to alternative booking options can offer more choices. I don't ever have to be concerned with flights, and can't imagine having to compromise my destination preferences.

THIS! You really need to think 'outside the box' when looking for airfares and try to be flexible. I had a friend who recently took the TA on Getaway from Copenhagen to Miami. He found a fare for under $100 from Minneapolis to JFK, then took Norweigan Air (not related to NCL) from JFK to Copenhagen for $179. I did the Getaway Baltic cruise this year, using points to get from Phoenix to London, then spent less than $200 going from London to Luxembourg, Lux to Berlin (spending a few days in each place) and post cruise going from CPH to Oslo (again spending a few days in Norway) and Oslo back to JFK for less than $400. Points again from JFK back to Phoenix. So my out of pocket airfare for the whole trip was approximately $600...significanty less than $3000 (for one).

As someone else upthread stated, google flights can help find you the best dates for fares and, if you don't know this tip, always always delete your cookies after looking for airfare and hotel rates. I use a totally separate browser just to look for these items and wipe it clean after every use. Airfare is the least of my concerns when budgeting for a cruise.

I consider airfare an integral part of taking a cruise. If airfare is high, i would consider it worth it if it's to go on a cruise that I'm dying to take. But if it's to sail on a cruise that I'm not super excited about, that I've already taken or to places that I've already been to, then I better get a great deal on airfare or otherwise I'm not taking the cruise.

Sometimes you do need to get creative though. I live in Atlanta which is the biggest hub for one of the major airlines. Even though there are nonstop flights to many destinations around the world, sometimes the airfare can be ridiculous because of a lack of competition. That's when finding a cheap flight to another hub and then taking another airline comes into play. For example, I've researched airfare to Europe and flying nonstop to some destinations sometimes means paying more than $2,000 per person. However, we can fly on a discounted airline cheaply to New York where there's far more international competition and from there fly to Europe for sometimes as little as $500. It's an added step which involves changing airlines but the savings can be substantial, specially for a family of 4.

And even though we live within a fairly painless drive to Port Canaveral, Tampa and New Orleans (as well as Jacksonville, Mobile and Charleston) and most of the time we drive when cruising from these ports, a little bit of research can also yield some killer deals. We went to Orlando in October (not for a cruise) and we found $29 airfare on Spirit and Frontier. It was almost cheaper than what gas would've cost for the roundtrip drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

TA's are able to get package deals at much better prices than what you can find online. They have access to agent-oriented distribution channels at their fingertips. I have been using the same cruise agent for over 20 years. He has booked other packages for us also, including hotel stays and flights. He is lightning quick finding the options we want (sometimes we are picky), and always comes in way under the prices we would have paid had we booked it ourselves. Seriously, he is like a genie in a bottle. Find a TA, one who is recommended by people you trust.

I was about to say the same thing. I checked into flying back from Europe on a cruise we were looking at next April; the price I got would have been higher than the cruise. Our TA had a much better rate. As it turned out we are doing Bermuda instead. Yes, the cost of air and hotel has to be considered, but if you watch your prices and are willing to stay at a lesser rated hotel cruising is still a bargain. It just takes a little planning and a good agent.

Recently I have noticed that airfares have gone up plus the hotels near the ports the night before a cruise are higher. (based on my observation that if I fly in two nights before the second night is significantly higher). This really adds to the cruise price. I am thinking of limiting myself to drive to ports or adding on a cruise if I am in a cruise port area visiting family already. I just cancelled a Gem cruise to Canada because between airfare and hotel and other costs going out of New York it would have added $2500 to the cost of our vacation. Years ago when we cruised out of Seattle to Alaska the airfare and hotel were extremely reasonable.

I am a little confused. You just saved money by cancelling a trip. You are not over spending. But is this about cruising and why NCL is making it difficult for you to cruise where you want to go. Or are you complaining about the high costs of travel to a cruise(or any entertainment venue) and the total cost of having fun. If the cost are so high to travel to a cruise, why would you even consider that cruise itinerary. And how recently are we talking about. One year, five years, 10 years. Travel, lodging and food. And why is this a NCL cruise topic.

I just got back from a Panama Canal (LA to Miami) NCL Sun cruise. I booked the cruise one week before embarkation. Monitored the itinerary and various others for two months. Total costs for travel. $20 gas for having a friend drive me from San Diego to LA on day of cruise. Air fare one way Miami to SD disembarkation day: $50 for luggage. The flight was free because of "points" and my flight didn't leave until 7pm so I had to spend 7 hours at the airport. Oh yeah, $15 for food at airport. No lodging costs. If you plan and research you can always find a good deal at a cost that is affordable to you. And if not, you are paying the price you agreed to, so stop complaining. Maybe next time.:confused:

To the Original Poster - can you give us better details. Where do you live, where exactly are you trying to fly to, and the dates. I could amost guarantee you that folks on here could help you find decent fares.

We fly quite often (3 sons all live in 3 different states from us), occasionally fly to europe, etc. Have never encountered anything anywhere near $6000 flights for 2.

You do need to stay away from peak vacation times and holidays, but even then we don't see prices like that.

I have the same issue-my husband insist on coming along as well. Guess its only fair since he was the one that got me hooked on cruising (and its his salary that makes it possible)

About a month or so ago I was able to book a 5-day cruise to the Caribbean for what I felt was very reasonable fare. Airfare was even better, only $80 pp R/T on JetBlue (BWI to FLL). However, when it comes to hotels in the Ft. Lauderdale area I am striking out. Everything around $100 looks like a roach motel (And reviews seem to confirm that). Anything that looks decent is close to $200, or even more. I just need a place to rest my head, and take a shower the next morning. I was surprised because last year we stayed at a very nice hotel on South Beach, and it wasn't anywhere near as expensive of what I am finding in Ft. Lauderdale.

Because the cruise and airfare were so reasonable I am just biting the bullet and paying more then I would have preferred.

To OP question, yes, I find that airfare prices from BWI to FLL tend to be higher on flights arriving early on Saturday and Sunday (For those that don't want to get a hotel the night before) and hotel prices run higher on Friday & Saturday. Its all about supply and demand.

I often travel solo so am a little more conscious of where I stay, etc. I guess in my "post 60" life I just don't know the tricks of the trade to figure out how to use alternative airports in order to save money. I do use the lost cost airlines when I can but the add-on's often make it a so-so deal. One thing I have noticed lately is that most return flights either are early am (not doable for a cruise) or not till around 6:00 p.m. or so. I know there are things to do but with luggage it is often much more difficult. I end up spending way too many hours in the airport and it seems as if the stress my cruise relieved is back from just dealing with the airport all day.

Take a flight the next day? Well then again a hotel stay is added to the cost. I have started thinking more about back to backs so at least the cost of the airfare is really split between two cruises.

I often travel solo so am a little more conscious of where I stay, etc. I guess in my "post 60" life I just don't know the tricks of the trade to figure out how to use alternative airports in order to save money. I do use the lost cost airlines when I can but the add-on's often make it a so-so deal. One thing I have noticed lately is that most return flights either are early am (not doable for a cruise) or not till around 6:00 p.m. or so. I know there are things to do but with luggage it is often much more difficult. I end up spending way too many hours in the airport and it seems as if the stress my cruise relieved is back from just dealing with the airport all day.

Take a flight the next day? Well then again a hotel stay is added to the cost. I have started thinking more about back to backs so at least the cost of the airfare is really split between two cruises.

I am also a solo 'post-60s' traveler so I understand your concerns. Depending on the city, if I can only find an evening flight, I will sometimes book an inexpensive rental car for the day, throw in my luggage and do a bit of exploring. Even if it is just a museum, art exhibit, street fair and/or nice lunch, I can find a way to spend the day rather than sitting in the airport.