Michigan
255 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
I'm following because I want to know if it's worth the cost. Cruising in March and I have always wanted to add on the tour.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises-
Jewel of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 3-8-2014 Our Cruise with Bill and Darlene
Freedom of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 10-2-2011 ~Our Honeymoon Cruise~
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - March 2010 (Our first cruise)
Cottage Grove, MN
4,099 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
I took it once.. I actually won it in a raffle on board..

Took us to:
Engine CONTROL Room (NOT the engine room)
Bridge
Galley
Back Stage in theater
Food Preparation areas/cooler Down on Deck 1
Crew Bar (Have heard it may have stopped going there)
Crew areas (Not bar, but another recreation area)
Laundry

This was back a handful of years ago when they first started doing them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

ROYAL CARIBBEAN: PINNACLE. (Adventure, Allure, Anthem, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Grandeur, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Vision)

CARNIVAL: PLATINUM (Jubilee, Conquest, Spirit, Fascination, Freedom, Imagination, Liberty, Glory, Valor)]

PRINCESS: PLATINUM (Star Princess, Grand Princess, Caribbean Princess, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess)

NORWEGIAN (Norwegian Majesty)
Dallas, TX
142 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I did it on my Allure cruise. I'd say it was worth it. Lasted close to 3 hours and took us all throughout the ship. Started in the galley with a talk from the head chef, and went down into the food storage areas, including the freezer with talks from the food and beverage manager and the ship's environmental officer showing us what the recycling program does onboard (cubes of crushed aluminum, mountains of crushed glass), we toured the crew only bar and buffet areas. Also visited the engine room, the laundry facilities, and the area where the anchor is stowed for an informative talk on how they dock the ship, backstage for a look into the stage productions and ended with a trip to the bridge.

Yes, cameras are allowed and everyone was snapping away. Just be sure to keep up with the group though... we had some stragglers get lost.

Also on the Allure we were taken out onto the helipad, which on many trips is open to the public but not on Oasis class except for special occasions.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it might be tough for those with mobility issues. It's a lot of walking, standing around, and stair climbing utilizing crew passageways - meaning stairs that are steep and narrow.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
Feb. 2006 - Mariner of the Seas, W. Caribbean
Feb. 2010 - Oasis of the Seas, E. Caribbean
Feb. 2014 - Allure of the Seas, E. Caribbean
April 2016 - Liberty of the Seas, W. Caribbean
October 2017 - Anthem of the Seas, NE/Canada
Papua New Guinea
199 Posts
Joined May 2013
Wife and I did one on the Mariner of the Seas back in 2014. Cost was US$150 pp. We went to the following places:

1/ Laundry
2/ Rubbish/Recycling plant
3/ Control Room (Engine room as a bonus)
4/ Crew Area
5/ Main Galley
6/ Back Stage Ice Rink
7/ Bridge

We were pretty lucky on our tour I am led to believe. In the control room the Chief Engineer just happened to be there and after asking us very quietly if we would like to see the engines (obviously we all said yes) we headed down for a walk around the actual engine bay. Very noisy but no problems with photos anywhere on the tour. On the bridge the Captain came and spent about 30 mins with us answering questions, posing for photos, generally chit chatting. Was fun standing out on the wings of the bridge looking down the side of the ship. In the Kitchen we met the head chef who explained the goings on behind the scenes. We tasted some food he was working on. The Laundry was very interesting. Huge machines that we all got a chance to try for folding sheets. Crew area is like another little world below decks, eatery, bar, lounge and their rooms! The ice rink and show area we were shown where it is all staged, where the props are kept, the control booth for lighting. There were some of the performers practicing on the ice so we got to meet them and chat a bit. There was about 10 of us on our tour. Have to wear long pants and closed shoes! Took nearly 3 hrs all up.

I think it was well worth the money. Don't know if I would do it on another ship or not but was definitely worth doing once!

Hope this helps!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tony & Rina
C&A Level - Who cares!

Upcoming Cruises
None at this stage!

Completed Cruises
Quantum of the Seas - 8 nts - Mar 12, 2016 (B2B) - Shanghai, Hiroshima, Tokyo, Kobe, Shanghai
Quantum of the Seas- 5 nts - Mar 20, 2016 - Shanghai, Busan, Fukuoka, Shanghai
Mariner of the Seas- 3 nts - Feb 12, 2014 (B2B) - Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore
Mariner of the Seas- 7 nts - Feb 15, 2014 - Singapore, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh, Singapore
Arkansas
14 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
I thought this tour was fantastic on the Navigator in the Mediterranean a couple of years ago. It was great to see what's behind all of those doors but more impressive was the access to the staff - all the way up to the Captain. They seemed to really enjoy the Q&A. It took all morning but I would do it again on a different ship. My experience was very similar to tincoll.
Maple Ridge, BC
4,329 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by tincoll

I think it was well worth the money. Don't know if I would do it on another ship or not but was definitely worth doing once!

Hope this helps!
Hi tincoll... do not hesitate to do the All Access Tour on your upcoming Quantum sailings if you have the chance
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...s#post45076447
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Click Here to Email Me

NEXT UP:
Brilliance - British Isles June 21/18

AFTER BRILLIANCE:
Oceania Sirena - Cuba Sept 16/18
Land - Happy New Year! in gorgeous Zihuatanejo Dec 29
Ovation - Alaska May 13/19

GREAT MEMORIES:
OCEANIA - Marina review/French Polynesia Mar 2018
RCCL - Explorer, Mariner*2, Voyager*2, Adventure, Independence, Freedom, Liberty, Majesty*2, Rhapsody*2, Enchantment, Radiance, Oasis, Vision*3 refurb review (13-11), Navigator review (14-05 Western Caribbean), Serenade review (14-09 Med/Adriatic), Quantum review (14-12 Southern Caribbean), Legend review (15-03 Southern Caribbean), Radiance review (15-09 Vancouver to Hawaii), Jewel (15-12 Southern Carib), Explorer review (16-05 4day Best of BC ), Adventure review (16-08 ABC's), Harmony review(17-01 Western), Explorer review(17-05 4day Best of BC), Jewel b2b review (17-08/09 Greece & Western Med)
Celebrity - Constellation, NCL - Pearl & Sky, Princess - Golden, HAL - Volendam
California
836 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
We did it on the Allure and really enjoyed it. Be sure to wear closed toed shoes and pants. They were pretty strict about this. It lasted about 3 hours and was $150 p/p.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past & Upcoming Cruises
The Big Red Boat - June 1989
Monarch of the Seas - June 1993
Voyager of the Seas - November 2004
Freedom of the Seas - June 2010
Serenade of the Seas - June 2012
Golden Princess - November 2013
Allure of the Seas - June 2014
Anthem of the Seas - May 2015
Liberty of the Seas (Caribbean) - February 2016
Explorer of the Seas (Alaska) - 2016
Radiance of the Seas (Australia/New Zealand) - November 2017
Symphony of the Seas (Barcelona to Miami) - October 2018
Ruby Princess - March 2018
Symphony of the Seas - October 2018 (transatlantic)
Celebrity Reflection - March 2019
Kari
Northern Virginia
1,856 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
We did it on Explorer in 2014. It really was "All Access" for us. It is pricey, but the crew was amazing. For instance, we had 15-20 minutes in a crew lounge with the chief of HR for a no holds barred discussion of people on the Explorer. And we were on the bridge when Captain Rick did his noon announcement.

I don't know that I'd do it again, but it's definitely something I'd recommend doing once.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Brilliance of the Seas July 2015
Explorer of the Seas June 2014
Freedom of the Seas July 2013
Jewel of the Seas July 2012
Freedom of the Seas April 2011
Oasis of the Seas March 27, 2010
Independence of the Seas April 2009
Liberty of the Seas March 2008
Maasdam August 2006
Oosterdam December 2004
284 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by markeb
We did it on Explorer in 2014. It really was "All Access" for us. It is pricey, but the crew was amazing. For instance, we had 15-20 minutes in a crew lounge with the chief of HR for a no holds barred discussion of people on the Explorer. And we were on the bridge when Captain Rick did his noon announcement.

I don't know that I'd do it again, but it's definitely something I'd recommend doing once.
I'm doing the All Access tour on the Explorer next month. Very much looking forward to it.
Papua New Guinea
199 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by Hoopster95
Hi tincoll... do not hesitate to do the All Access Tour on your upcoming Quantum sailings if you have the chance
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...s#post45076447
I may do it on Quantum, Hoopster95. I did see your tour pics a while back. Seems very similar to what we did on mariner except we got to go to the engine room. One other place we visited that I forgot was the Medical facilities. 9 out of 10 of us couldn't help ourselves and had to look inside the morgue! It was empty thanks goodness! Only room for 3 in case your interested! Ill work on some of my photos to upload!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tony & Rina
C&A Level - Who cares!

Upcoming Cruises
None at this stage!

Completed Cruises
Quantum of the Seas - 8 nts - Mar 12, 2016 (B2B) - Shanghai, Hiroshima, Tokyo, Kobe, Shanghai
Quantum of the Seas- 5 nts - Mar 20, 2016 - Shanghai, Busan, Fukuoka, Shanghai
Mariner of the Seas- 3 nts - Feb 12, 2014 (B2B) - Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore
Mariner of the Seas- 7 nts - Feb 15, 2014 - Singapore, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh, Singapore
10,178 Posts
Joined May 2009
We did the All Access Tour on the Anthem TA a few months ago. It was $150 US pp, took about 3 hours, and was pretty much as others have described above. I've done various forms of behind the scenes tours before, but none as extensive as this, and it was particularly interesting to get to walk along I-95 and also visit the engine control room, a first for me. And while I've been on other bridges, the Anthem bridge is pretty amazing, the most high tech of any I've seen.

Was it worth the cost and the time? To me it was, as I really enjoy seeing things like this. I now feel, though, that I don't need to pay to do something like this again.
UK
1,378 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
I did the tour on Allure back in 2013, it was quite expensive. And as good as the tour was but for $150pp, once was enough. Cameras were allowed and they allow you to snap away quite happily.

Bear in mind that no one tour is the same even on the same ship. Some tour might miss bits out but another might include it. So it all depends on the day and your tour guide. The whole tour lasted 3-4hrs with some steep crew stairs to walk. Don't forget you need to wear long pants and closed toes footwear.

At the end of the tour, each person got some RCI souvenirs too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Independence of the Seas - 27 August 2016
Explorer of the Seas - 9 August 2015
Allure of the Seas - 8 September 2013
Independence of the Seas - 11 November 2012
Monarch of the Seas - 12 September 2011
Jewel of the Seas - 7 August 2005
Costa Atlantica - 20 July 2003
Costa Victoria - 28 July 2002
Splendour of the Seas - 22 July 2001
Columbus, OH USA
29,703 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by markeb
That is kind of my thinking as well. However, after only reading 10 replies so far, Nobody has mentioned, but I THINK I have read where they allow photography, but no video. I could be wrong about that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1st cruise 4/29/06 RCCL Voyager of the Seas. - Eastern Caribbean.
2nd cruise - 5/11/07 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas. MOTHER'S day cruise!
3rd cruise - 4/27/08 Freedom of the Seas -Western Caribbean. Freedom's 100th cruise!
4th cruise - 4/16/09 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel/Belize.
5th cruise 11/15/10 Majesty of the Seas - Key West Nassau.
6th cruise -5/1/11 Allure of the Seas Eastern route 30th anniversary cruise
7th cruise 4/14/12 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel Costa Maya
8th cruise 4/28/13 Allure of the Seas Eastern route
9th cruise 10/28/13 Majesty of the Seas Halloween in Key West
10th cruise 5/3/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean
11th cruise 4/26/15 Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean
12th cruise 4/30/16 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean
13th cruise 10/17/16 Majesty of the Seas 4 day from Bahamas
14th cruise 4/29/17 Adventure of the Seas ABC islands.
15th cruise 9/18/17 Majesty of the Seas Irma shortened cruise

83 of 84 great night's sleep

21 days on an Oasis class, 19 days on a Voyager class,18 days on a Sovereign class ship, 14 days on a Freedom class, 12 days on a Radiance class, .

Central Illinois
129,608 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by BillOh
That is kind of my thinking as well. However, after only reading 10 replies so far, Nobody has mentioned, but I THINK I have read where they allow photography, but no video. I could be wrong about that.
My recollection is that there is no video on the bridge, and possibly other selected areas. However, we were allowed to video in the galley and theater.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
5,668 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Just got off Brilliance, and there was no video permitted on the bridge tour (snapshots only), but no restrictions on either the galley or backstage tours.
10,178 Posts
Joined May 2009
One additional thing I wanted to mention. Much of the tour takes place down in the bowels of the ship, below the water line. On the day of our tour, we had extremely rough seas and high winds, and the motion below decks, without access to outside air or even a view of the horizon, made my spouse feel fairly ill. I just point this out for folks who are susceptible to this sort of thing.

Also, before entering the engine control room, we had to remove any metal from out pockets and were patted down in a security search. From there, we went directly to the bridge, under the watchful eye of an accompanying security officer. (I have no objection to the security, just mentioning it.)
867 Posts
Joined May 2003
Don't think I'd want to spend 3 hours of a sea day touring the ship unless the cruise had an inordinate number of sea days. We've been cruising long enough to remember when the ships were much smaller and the tour only took an hour and it was free. Times have changed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CHANDRIS Britanis, 1985 (New York-Bermuda), CHANDRIS Amerikanis, 1986 (New York -Bermuda), CHANDRIS Galileo, 1987 (New York-Bermuda), CHANDRIS Britanis, 1988 (Miami-Western Caribbean), CARNIVAL Festivale, 1989 (Miami-Eastern Caribbean), CARNIVAL Tropicale, 1990 (Puerto Rico-Southern Caribbean), CARNIVAL Fascination, 8/94 (New York-Nova Scotia), CARNIVAL Destiny, 7/97 (Miami-Western Caribbean), CARNIVAL Victory, 9/01 (New York-Nova Scotia), NCL Dawn, 6/03 (New York-Florida-Bahamas), RCCL Serenade OS, 9/03 (New York-Nova Scotia), Sapphire PRINCESS, 10/04 (San Francisco-California-Mexican Riviera), NCL Star, 7/05 (Seattle-Alaska), NCL Star, 11/05 (Los Angeles-Mexican Riviera), Crown PRINCESS, 3/07 (Puerto Rico-Southern Caribbean), CARNIVAL Freedom, 5/08 (Rome-Mediterranean), RCCL Independence OS, 11/08 (Ft. Lauderdale-Mexico), CARNIVAL Dream, 11/09 (New York-Florida-Bahamas), HAL Zuiderdam, 2/10 (Fort Lauderdale-Panama Canal), NCL Pearl, 9/10 (Vancouver-Pacific Northwest-California), CELEBRITY Eclipse, 2/11 (Miami-Eastern Caribbean), Caribbean PRINCESS, 7/11 (New York-Canada-New England), CARNIVAL Magic, 10/11 (Barcelona-Mediterranean), Sapphire PRINCESS, 5/12 (Los Angeles-California Coastal), Caribbean PRINCESS, 10/12 (New York-Canada-New England), NCL Breakaway, 8/13 (New York-Bermuda), Royal PRINCESS, 10/13 (Ft. Lauderdale-Bahamas-Caribbean), RCCL Quantum OS, 2/15 (New Jersey-Florida-Bahamas), RCCL Anthem OS, 12/15 (New Jersey-Florida-Bahamas)
Sharpsburg, GA
1,319 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Although I have not done the all-access tour, I did a Galley Tour on Freedom. It was a fraction of the cost of the all-access tour and came with a cookbook (around $30 US).

I have just finished posting about it (this morning ironically enough) on my trip review. The link to the trip review is in my signature area, but here is a link directly to the page the galley tour starts on (near bottom of page 10). There are about 20-30 photos I posted from the galley specifically:

Freedom of the Seas Galley Tour

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Trip Reports:
Freedom of the Seas 2/18/17 (in progress)
Freedom of the Seas 10/30/16
Allure of the Seas 2/14/16
Freedom of the Seas 2/16/14
Freedom of the Seas 3/17/13

Next Cruise:

Last Cruise: