Cruising Alaska in May or September?

Pasadena, CA
102 Posts
Joined May 2016
Hey folks!

I currently have the family booked into an aft Junior Suite on Explorer (and yes, I know there is a controversy about the view from those cabins) for Alaska in May 2017.

But I was daydreaming around on the RCI website this morning and found that I could save nearly $1,000 if we took the same Explorer cabin and sailed the same itinerary in September instead.

Is there some reason why it might be better to sail in May than September? Weather? Bugs? Lack of snow on the ground? We likely won't sail in June, July or August due to cost differential.

All advice appreciated! Thanks!
2,547 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
We usually go in May or September because the cruises are cheaper then.....schools are not out.
If you do not believe in global warming....go to Alaska.
Incredible differences over the last 2 decades.
This year & last year we took the first cruises of the season in the beginning of May.
We stopped in 3 Alaska ports all of which were 70 degrees both years.
Although beautiful, it should not be like that. Of course the are weeks that are cooler.
We also did not have rain & it should rain there all the time.
There was little to no snow on a lo t of the mountain tops.
We were in a glacier bay....do not remember which one...where our cabin steward said he remembered when the ship would be surrounded by slush covering the water around the ship there. We told him we also remembered that.
We took one tour in a boat where the tour operator was pointing to a certain type of tree that was dying out. I did not understand the whole thing but it was something about needing snow to insulate the ground & now it melts & then turns to ice instead.
Alaska is really a crap shoot about what the weather will be. Just dress in layers. If not raining, most of the time a sweater is more than enough.
Glad you are going. It is a guaranteed good time. Do not forget to go to the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau.
Oh yes.....we have had back balconies before & loved them !
Melbourne
415 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by Happyreb
Hey folks!

I currently have the family booked into an aft Junior Suite on Explorer (and yes, I know there is a controversy about the view from those cabins) for Alaska in May 2017.

But I was daydreaming around on the RCI website this morning and found that I could save nearly $1,000 if we took the same Explorer cabin and sailed the same itinerary in September instead.

Is there some reason why it might be better to sail in May than September? Weather? Bugs? Lack of snow on the ground? We likely won't sail in June, July or August due to cost differential.

I cant help with May but we just did a 7 day sailing on September the 5th and it rained, and rained and rained. All of our flight excursions where cancelled and we got so wet in Katchiekan that we got sick for the rest of the trip.

i would not do September again, if bears are a wish list, they are gone by september and we missed the salmon run due to the water being stirred up due to the rain.

the good was the cost, much cheaper as you have said, it did clear up for our scenic sailing days through glacier bay at that was amazing, it was also clearer (no rain) in anchorage and fairbanks.

sylva
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises

Greek Island - Sep 2008 on the Aquamarine
South Pacific - April 2011 on P&O's Pacific Sun
Mexican Riviaria - Aug 2012 on Carnivals Splendor
Baltic - Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the sea - July 2015 Mediterranean - Queen Victoria - August 2015
Alaska - Norwegian Sun September 2016
Tranpacific Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas October 2016.
Next
New Zealand RCI Radiance OTS January 2018
Pasadena, CA
102 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by Naomigruis
I cant help with May but we just did a 7 day sailing on September the 5th and it rained, and rained and rained. All of our flight excursions where cancelled and we got so wet in Katchiekan that we got sick for the rest of the trip.

sylva
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that you got sick during your cruise! I'll be sure to check the historic rain patterns in May vs. September for western Alaska!
North West NJ
5,337 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that you got sick during your cruise! I'll be sure to check the historic rain patterns in May vs. September for western Alaska!
FYI, you cannot get sick from rain, sleet, snow, cold temperatures....so please don't let that be the deciding factors. I am sorry he/she got sick also, but it was NOT due to the weather.
CP NY, Clearwater FL
12,721 Posts
Joined May 2000
Hey folks!

September is rainy season
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tropical - Sept 91::::::::::::::Victory - Sept 02 Review:::::::::::::Explorer - Oct 08 Review:::::::::::::::::::Carnival Liberty - Sept 13 Review
Ecstasy - Sept 93::::::::::::::Navigator - March 03 Review::::::::Solstice - March 09 Review:::::::::::::::::Independence - Feb 14 Review
Monarch -Sept 95::::::::::::::Adventure - Sept 03 Review:::::::::RCL Liberty - Sept 09 Review:::::::::::::::Explorer - Sept 14 Review
Sensation - Sept 96::::::::::::Voyager - Sept 04 Review::::::::::::Explorer - Jan 10 Review:::::::::::::::::::Independence - Feb 15 Review
Grandeur - Sept 97:::::::::::::Radiance - Feb 05 Review::::::::::::Oasis - Oct 10 Review::::::::::::::::::::::Oasis - September 15 Review
Inspiration - Sept 98:::::::::::Voyager - Sept 05 Review::::::::::::Explorer - Feb 11 Review:::::::::::::::::: Freedom - Feb 16 Review
Enchantment - Oct 99:::::::::Mariner - Jan 06 Review::::::::::::::Carnival Valor - Sept 11 Review::::::::::: Crown Princess Alaska June 16
Grandeur - Sept 00:::::::::::::Explorer - Sept 06 Review::::::::::::Carnival Legend - Feb 12 Review ::::::::
Adventure September 17
Explorer - March 01:::::::::::::RCL Liberty - Sept 07 Review::::::::Allure - Sept 12 Review :::::::::::::::::::
Grand - Sept 01 Review::::::::Carib Princess - Feb 08 Review::::::Carnival Freedom - Feb 13 Review
Pasadena, CA
102 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by cruisinfanatic
Got it; but what if I were to tell you that I care more about avoiding mosquitos than avoiding rain?
Elko, NV
1,163 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Got it; but what if I were to tell you that I care more about avoiding mosquitos than avoiding rain?
You've honestly got little to worry about with the mosquitos, they are a lot worse in the interior (around Fairbanks area) than Anchorage or the panhandle. June and July are the worst months for the mosquitos, May and September should both be fine.

Personally I prefer May or June for Alaska cruises. August into September starts the rainy season. Wildlife is a bit more active June through August than it is in either May or September, largely because of the Salmon runs, but there are moose pretty much year round, and bears can be hit or miss no matter the month.

May might still be a little chilly; Anchorage hillside, the mountains, and other areas that are shaded or high in elevation will likely still have ice and snow in May, but those same places will start getting snow in September.

One other difference is daylight, May has several hours more daylight than September.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
Symphony of the Seas - October 28, 2018 - First Transatlantic
Harmony of the Seas - August 25, 2018 - Family Caribbean Cruise
Mariner of the Seas - February 3, 2018 - Back to Back Southeast Asia
Quantum of the Seas - October 13, 2017 - Best of Japan
Harmony of the Seas - January 14, 2017 - Western Caribbean
Anthem of the Seas - August 25, 2016 - Canada & New England
Radiance of the Seas - May 27, 2016 - Alaska to Vancouver
Radiance of the Seas - June 19, 2015 - Alaska to Vancouver
Jewel of the Seas - May 3, 2014 - Southern Caribbean from San Juan
Disney - ~2000 Summer?
North West NJ
5,337 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by awestover89
You've honestly got little to worry about with the mosquitos, they are a lot worse in the interior (around Fairbanks area) than Anchorage or the panhandle. June and July are the worst months for the mosquitos, May and September should both be fine.

Personally I prefer May or June for Alaska cruises. August into September starts the rainy season. Wildlife is a bit more active June through August than it is in either May or September, largely because of the Salmon runs, but there are moose pretty much year round, and bears can be hit or miss no matter the month.

May might still be a little chilly; Anchorage hillside, the mountains, and other areas that are shaded or high in elevation will likely still have ice and snow in May, but those same places will start getting snow in September.

One other difference is daylight, May has several hours more daylight than September.
Great info! Thank you
Pasadena, CA
102 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by awestover89

Ah! For a scenery-focused cruise, number of daylight hours does seem crucial! Thank you!
Maple Ridge, BC
4,312 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by cruisinfanatic
I disagree.... All year long is rainy season in Alaska.

As far as Vancouver and Pacific Northwest, for the last couple of decades Septemebr weather has been a lot better than May. This last year 2016, May was better. You are rolling the dice... Impossible to predict with any certainty whatsoever.

In 2011, I was standing top deck on Rhapaosy entering inside passage to Juneau... Weather was driving rain and 42 degrees... This was 1st week of July.
Fast fwd 2013 sept, 70 degrees in Skagway, orcas swimming beside the ship, zero rain... Fast fwd this year, rain rain rain as the prev poster saiD.
My own personal opinion living in the Pacific Northwest, at same cruise price I would gamble on Sept vs. May.... For $1000 less in Sept this is a no brainer decision!!!!! In my humble opinion, and especially with $1000 in your pocket, I would choose Sept.

P.s. Oct 2 and its 70 degrees and sunny here in Vancouver... But poster above had worse weather one month ago on sept 5... Again, roll the dice. No one can predict.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Click Here to Email Me

NEXT UP:
Brilliance - British Isles June 21/18

AFTER BRILLIANCE:
Oceania Sirena - Cuba Sept 16/18
Land - Happy New Year! in gorgeous Zihuatanejo Dec 29
Ovation - Alaska May 13/19

GREAT MEMORIES:
OCEANIA - Marina review/French Polynesia Mar 2018
RCCL - Explorer, Mariner*2, Voyager*2, Adventure, Independence, Freedom, Liberty, Majesty*2, Rhapsody*2, Enchantment, Radiance, Oasis, Vision*3 refurb review (13-11), Navigator review (14-05 Western Caribbean), Serenade review (14-09 Med/Adriatic), Quantum review (14-12 Southern Caribbean), Legend review (15-03 Southern Caribbean), Radiance review (15-09 Vancouver to Hawaii), Jewel (15-12 Southern Carib), Explorer review (16-05 4day Best of BC ), Adventure review (16-08 ABC's), Harmony review(17-01 Western), Explorer review(17-05 4day Best of BC), Jewel b2b review (17-08/09 Greece & Western Med)
Celebrity - Constellation, NCL - Pearl & Sky, Princess - Golden, HAL - Volendam
Ocala, Florida
2,189 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
I can't wait to visit Alaska - this was a great debate.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

PAST CRUISES
2/3/18 - Carnival Magic - 10/8/17 - Carnival Fascination - Bahama's; 7/2017 - Grand Circle Cruise Line - Provence; 2/2017 - Carnival Glory - BC 10; 12/2016- Navigator of the Seas; 2/2015-Carnival Splendor; 10/2014-Viking Tor; 2/2014-Jewel of the Seas; 8/2013-Carnival Liberty; 2/2013-Independence of the Seas; 3/2012-Adventure of the Seas; 6/2008-Carnival Valor; 4/1997-Carnival Tropicale
Southeast LA, USA
155 Posts
Joined May 2012
Deleted
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
...........Cathy

MSC - 2 (Black Card) / Celebrity - 2 (Elite) / Carnival - 2 / HAL - 1

Upcoming Adventures:
Grandeur OTS (B2B) - Apr 2018 / Brilliance OTS (B2B) - Sept 2018 / Serenade OTS (B2B) - Apr 2019
Elko, NV
1,163 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Ah! For a scenery-focused cruise, number of daylight hours does seem crucial! Thank you!
Do keep in mind we still have about 12-13 hours of daylight in September, it's just closer to 18 in May. It's not until November-January that we really get into the limited sunlight.

Originally posted by Hoopster95

As far as Vancouver and Pacific Northwest, for the last couple of decades Septemebr weather has been a lot better than May. This last year 2016, May was better. You are rolling the dice... Impossible to predict with any certainty whatsoever.

In 2011, I was standing top deck on Rhapaosy entering inside passage to Juneau... Weather was driving rain and 42 degrees... This was 1st week of July.
Fast fwd 2013 sept, 70 degrees in Skagway, orcas swimming beside the ship, zero rain... Fast fwd this year, rain rain rain as the prev poster saiD.
My own personal opinion living in the Pacific Northwest, at same cruise price I would gamble on Sept vs. May.... For $1000 less in Sept this is a no brainer decision!!!!! In my humble opinion, and especially with $1000 in your pocket, I would choose Sept.

P.s. Oct 2 and its 70 degrees and sunny here in Vancouver... But poster above had worse weather one month ago on sept 5... Again, roll the dice. No one can predict.
Ketchikan, yes. All year long is the rainy season in Ketchikan since it's a temperate rainforest. But for the rest of the state, and everywhere else that a cruise goes, the rainy season starts in August and goes through September, and into October for the panhandle. That's not to say that you won't get rain other times of the year, you can get rain anytime of year, but it is significantly more likely in September, based on climate data and statistics.

There's nothing wrong with September, I still go out most weekends and hike or do other things, but rain is more probable then. Technically you can enjoy any time; we hiked Denali in February; cold but absolutely stunning.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
Symphony of the Seas - October 28, 2018 - First Transatlantic
Harmony of the Seas - August 25, 2018 - Family Caribbean Cruise
Mariner of the Seas - February 3, 2018 - Back to Back Southeast Asia
Quantum of the Seas - October 13, 2017 - Best of Japan
Harmony of the Seas - January 14, 2017 - Western Caribbean
Anthem of the Seas - August 25, 2016 - Canada & New England
Radiance of the Seas - May 27, 2016 - Alaska to Vancouver
Radiance of the Seas - June 19, 2015 - Alaska to Vancouver
Jewel of the Seas - May 3, 2014 - Southern Caribbean from San Juan
Disney - ~2000 Summer?
Southeast LA, USA
155 Posts
Joined May 2012
I've sailed Alaska in the first/second week of September three separate times and never had weather ruin my cruise. Other than some drizzle from time to time (normal for the Alaskan coastal rain forest), it was sunny, partly cloudy with cool temps. Yes, it was 40ish cold near the glaciers (Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord, Glacier Bay) but never bad seas, bad weather or rained out ports of call. I would definitely return to Alaska in September again. You get to see and experience the same ports for less money than those cruising during the peak season. It's just a no brainer for me but to each their own.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
...........Cathy

MSC - 2 (Black Card) / Celebrity - 2 (Elite) / Carnival - 2 / HAL - 1

Upcoming Adventures:
Grandeur OTS (B2B) - Apr 2018 / Brilliance OTS (B2B) - Sept 2018 / Serenade OTS (B2B) - Apr 2019
Richardson, TX
6,843 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
I have cruised to Alaska twice in May and twice in September. I vote for May. There was a chill in the air both times and I loved it. Great trip up the mountain on the train in Skagway with snow flurries at the top.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Vicki
Upcoming Cruises: 2018: Explorer of the Seas - 5/14/18; Brilliance of the Seas - 9/1/18; Mariner of the Seas - 12/3/18
2019: Liberty of the Seas - 1/27/19; Serenade of the Seas - 6/20/19; Adventure of the Seas - 10/7/19
2020: Liberty of the Seas - 2/9/20

Past Cruises: Adventure of the Seas - 2/18, 5/15, 4/13, 2/11; Independence of the Seas - 11/17, 2/16, 12/12, 2/08; Freedom of the Seas - 10/17; Allure of the Seas - 6/17, 4/13, 4/12; Explorer of the Seas - 5/17: Serenade of the Seas - 4/17, 9/11, 9/10, 2/10; Liberty of the Seas - 1/17, 2/15, 12/13, 1/13, 12/11, 5/08; Majesty of the Seas - 10/16, 12/14, 10/14, 6/12, 3/03; Vision of the Seas - 9/16, 6/06; Enchantment of the Seas - 5/16, 7/16; Anthem of the Seas - 10/15; Jewel of the Seas - 9/15, 9/09; Navigator of the Seas - 4/14, 12/09; Oasis of the Seas - 1/14; Carnival Triumph - 7/13: Celebrity Summit - 5/11; Voyager of the Seas - 10/10; Radiance of the Seas - 5/10, 5/09, 2/08; Grandeur of the Seas - 6/09; Rhapsody of the Seas - 9/08, 5/07, 10/05, 2/04; Splendour of the Seas - 1/07, 1/06; Carnival Elation - 9/04; Celebrity Galaxy - 5/00; Monarch of the Seas - 5/98
CP NY, Clearwater FL
12,721 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Hoopster95

Of course (dah), but September has a much higher average rainfall than many other months of cruise season. You can't judge anything just because it was ok in September for you a couple times
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tropical - Sept 91::::::::::::::Victory - Sept 02 Review:::::::::::::Explorer - Oct 08 Review:::::::::::::::::::Carnival Liberty - Sept 13 Review
Ecstasy - Sept 93::::::::::::::Navigator - March 03 Review::::::::Solstice - March 09 Review:::::::::::::::::Independence - Feb 14 Review
Monarch -Sept 95::::::::::::::Adventure - Sept 03 Review:::::::::RCL Liberty - Sept 09 Review:::::::::::::::Explorer - Sept 14 Review
Sensation - Sept 96::::::::::::Voyager - Sept 04 Review::::::::::::Explorer - Jan 10 Review:::::::::::::::::::Independence - Feb 15 Review
Grandeur - Sept 97:::::::::::::Radiance - Feb 05 Review::::::::::::Oasis - Oct 10 Review::::::::::::::::::::::Oasis - September 15 Review
Inspiration - Sept 98:::::::::::Voyager - Sept 05 Review::::::::::::Explorer - Feb 11 Review:::::::::::::::::: Freedom - Feb 16 Review
Enchantment - Oct 99:::::::::Mariner - Jan 06 Review::::::::::::::Carnival Valor - Sept 11 Review::::::::::: Crown Princess Alaska June 16
Grandeur - Sept 00:::::::::::::Explorer - Sept 06 Review::::::::::::Carnival Legend - Feb 12 Review ::::::::
Adventure September 17
Explorer - March 01:::::::::::::RCL Liberty - Sept 07 Review::::::::Allure - Sept 12 Review :::::::::::::::::::
Grand - Sept 01 Review::::::::Carib Princess - Feb 08 Review::::::Carnival Freedom - Feb 13 Review
The Netherlands
1,013 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
My experence so far.

May (whole month): High risk of closed roads (snow). Even early June can be risky. The weather can be nice.

September: Rain, closed attractions etc.

Best month (weather/animals): June

My advice: Go for May instead of September.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
23 Cruises in the pocket. Totally addicted to cruising Love to explore the world...
North Texas
3,643 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by vickiw0318
I have cruised to Alaska twice in May and twice in September. I vote for May. There was a chill in the air both times and I loved it. Great trip up the mountain on the train in Skagway with snow flurries at the top.
Longer days in May too.